SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hi! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/240823-hi.html)

alcoholsux 11-12-2011 09:30 AM

Hi!

I'm new. Today is my quitting day! Just wanted to say hi to my fellow supporters! I am 31, and have drank for the past 3 years. I'm having reflux problems and anxiety. has anyone had these issues too? It's good to know I am not alone.

pikkle69 11-12-2011 09:33 AM

Been living on booze and zantac for the last 15 years to "overcome" same. Not the best way to go about it! Welcome and good luck with your journey, there are many resources here to help you through!

alcoholsux 11-12-2011 09:39 AM

Thanks Pikkle!

hope2change 11-12-2011 09:39 AM

Hi! It's my first day of sobriety, as well. It's still early in the day and I have to admit, already difficult. Congrats on your decision and best wishes!

alcoholsux 11-12-2011 09:41 AM

I was just gonna ask, what to expect on my first day.....can anyone fill me in. YES hope2change, I am having a hard time. Night time is usually when i have my drink, and all i can think about is not being able to have it

bozboz 11-12-2011 09:44 AM

Welcome to SR!!! Congrats on taking thisd first step. :) Have you spoken to your Dr. about your decision to quit? My Dr. gave me a list of things to help me. She offered to put me on an anti-anxiety medication, but I didn't feel that I would need it. This may help for you though if you do have anxiety.

alcoholsux 11-12-2011 09:46 AM

No, i don't meet with her until next Friday. I just woke up today and decided, enough is enough, after ANOTHER Panic attack and calling my mom, i am jsut tired of living this way, and I know alcohol is a big problem. I haven't even told my husband yet of this, he's sleeping. He didnt even know I was drinking secretly.

least 11-12-2011 09:48 AM

Here are some of our personal experiences with quitting drinking. Be safe while getting thru the withdrawals. Seeing a doctor for medical help/supervision is a good idea as w/d can be very dangerous.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

hope2change 11-12-2011 09:48 AM

I completely understand your feelings. The weekend is ususually when I drank the most and Saturday night without alcohol is almost uncomprehensible. That said, however, I AM committed to quitting! I am hoping for your success, as I will have no excuse since we both made the decision to quit the same day.

alcoholsux 11-12-2011 09:49 AM

Well, we can do this together then!!! :)

bozboz 11-12-2011 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by alcoholsux (Post 3168246)
No, i don't meet with her until next Friday. I just woke up today and decided, enough is enough, after ANOTHER Panic attack and calling my mom, i am jsut tired of living this way, and I know alcohol is a big problem. I haven't even told my husband yet of this, he's sleeping. He didnt even know I was drinking secretly.

Congratulations again on your decision. My first day, I went out, bought a few books, and rented a bunch of movies. It helped me to keep my mind some what clear of my urges. Don't get me wrong, I still thought about it at least every few minutes, but found that my will overcame my urge.

pikkle69 11-12-2011 10:02 AM

Hate to say it but my first day was incredibly terrifying... had just come off a very heavy month long binge after having lost my job and did the stupid thing by attempting to detox at home. The first week was pretty bad actually but it reinforced the fact that the alcohol was killing me as I had never in my life felt as terrible as that. Lots of insomnia, anxiety and depression. I had to force myself to eat and take vitamins by the boatload. Drank gallons of water. Yes, at several points I thought I was too far gone but eventually it started getting better. I'm 18 days now and feel as good as I ever have in over 15 years. It's definitely not easy, probably the hardest thing I've ever gone through but stick with it and it will pay immeasurable dividends for the rest of your life. Good luck!

alcoholsux 11-12-2011 10:06 AM

It will def. help having you all as supporters. I am terrified, because I suffer from panic disorder and i am afraid of having an attack with out the alcohol. I know I can do this, and I am not going to give in. I am just afraid of what I may feel...I don't want this to make me go crazy!

pikkle69 11-12-2011 10:08 AM

My fiance takes Celexa and Trazadone to deal with her panic disorders. She quit drinking the same time I did and has had no issues with that part of her mental state so far. Talk to your doctor about this, be honest about the alcoholism and you will get the help you need for that.

alcoholsux 11-12-2011 10:09 AM

Very true, I need to tell my doctor about this!

sugarbear1 11-12-2011 11:50 AM

If you feel ill, get to the ER, especially if you drank daily or close to it. Blood pressure can sky rocket...

All digestive problems stopped after a week or so. I can eat spicy foods now!!!

Dee74 11-12-2011 01:34 PM

Welcome to SR :)

D

alcoholsux 11-12-2011 03:03 PM

Def. feeling a little irratable right now......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

CaiHong 11-12-2011 03:40 PM

Just want to say to all of you, welcome, believe me it is worth it but it is not easy but it is so worth it. I over 5 months sober and I have my "days" but nothing compared to when I was drinking.

Lots of love
CaiHong

Hevyn 11-12-2011 03:52 PM

alcoholsux - Yes, I was definitely irritable, anxious, scared. All those feelings are normal, and they all passed. It's hard at first, giving up our crutch, and learning to live in a different way without it.

I'm so glad you've decided to do this - you'll be free for the first time in 3 yrs. You never have to go back to those sad, foggy old drinking days. :)