Notices

Feeling obsessed with my sobriety

Old 11-11-2011, 11:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling obsessed with my sobriety

I feel totally consumed with my sobriety. I'm on day 17 and its all I can think or talk about besides my ex who is talking to me again because of my choice to quit drinking. I feel like its the topic of every conversation with everyone. Especially my ex. She is a social drinker who doesn't drink too often and can't at all right now due to some health issues. Is it bad that's all I want to talk about? For the first time I have a keen sense of awareness in my life so I feel its important to keep on the forefront everyday. I'm proud of my progress and just not sure if I should keep sharing it with others close to me over and over again...?
Old 11-11-2011, 11:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's normal Gordo. Obsession was a hallmark of my addiction - I was obsessed with my drinking and, for a time, I was obsessed with my recovery.

I let go a little once I moved my focus off simply not drinking and onto working on myself and rebuilding my life.

and...the incessant talking about recovery got real old for my friends and loved ones really quick lol.

It was such a big deal for me I forgot not everyone was as interested in this stuff as I was.
I learned to save my recovery talk for places like this

what are you doing to relax and unwind?
D
Old 11-11-2011, 11:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think you should talk away. It means you're excited about your health and your life and that is a GOOD thing. I'm sure your loved ones are proud of you too and are willing to listen if it means your recovery. 17 days, good for you! I'm a few days behind ya, and damn proud, too! Let's talk everyone's EARS off!
Old 11-11-2011, 11:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Haha just read Dee's post! Slightly different responses.....
Old 11-11-2011, 11:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL believe me I talked a few legs off a few tables back then...it was exciting for me

Other peoples mileages may vary....but I 'got told' pretty quick - we Aussies aren't very shy in that respect

D
Old 11-11-2011, 11:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Non-Zoroastrian

I've been just the opposite, silent on the matter except with a few close people and even then, it's merely a mention. Today is the most I've discussed it with anyone as I just joined this forum despite having read the posts here for the last several weeks. I'm 17 days too and it was incredibly difficult to make that first post but now I've actually been going at it half the night. For me it's because I'm able to talk to persons in like situations, sometimes frighteningly so. I think for now I'm going to stick with the people on this forum and leave those in my personal life away from my trials and tribulations, at least until I know I can, with reasonable confidence, live a sober life for a long time. That's my take, not sure if that works for others but if you feel that having those close to you involved every step of the way, then that is what will work for you and I say keep going.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I discussed it often with family and my boss the first 3 months in.

My boss has been there the last 5 years and he knows where I was and where I am now.

If anyone has tired of hearing me talk about it, they haven't given me any indication and I haven't felt the vibe that they wish I would just shut up.

I even posted some things on facebook that would only have been recognized by family, close friends and another alcoholic.

This opened up some new avenues of recovery for me. I work with 1200 people and many were on my facebook page. 3 of which were alcoholics. I now have access to 68+ years of sobriety at work that I can go to for f2f time with any struggles I have.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
MINEr

I couldn't stop talking about it either, except that everyone was so happy to see me get sober, they were more than happy to listen. Just try not to burn them out, pick the time and place, and feel free to talk in meetings, the old timers get a kick out of noobs and their shares.

camedown
Old 11-12-2011, 12:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too was obsessed with my sobriety for a while. It was such a new and wonderful feeling and I felt like I was on cloud nine. I had few people to talk about it with tho as I was a home alone drinker so no one but me and my family knew. (and they were totally supportive) I can understand Dee's point of view tho and can understand how others might get sick of hearing about it. I'm blessed that I have an addiction counselor I can talk to about anything, and she's particularly happy that I'm so happy with my sobriety.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

Gordo for me I think it was part of the psychological / emotional withdrawal that went on for most of the first 90 days. I was (and am) committed to sobriety, but there was an intensity of thought and focus that was involuntary and uncomfortable at times.

It needs to be said that I spent a lot of time thinking about alcohol and it's effects when I was drinking- so I think it is just part of the process of change.

The only persons I talk to about it are my brother, sister and wife. My siblings know what I am going through although one of them is drinking currently. My wife is very supportive and she would prefer I talk recovery than stew in the juice.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Pikkle, that is my approach, too -- I really don't discuss it with anyone in real life. Not even my kids, and just barely my husband, who only knows that I'm not drinking right now. It's just my nature to not want the focus on me (by others) even though I myself am making recovery my own private top priority.

On the other hand, I'm talking a lot here on SR. And reading tons. So in that way, I am likewise "obsessed" with my sobriety. It's a good thing.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Foo Fighter.

Its perfectly normal to be excited and want to talk about it, its a major accomplishment, the longer you are sober it just becomes your normality. I dont bring it up as often as I did 9 months ago when I started,but if it comes up the excitement and personal pride is certainly still there and I am more than willing to share it.