Notices

Day 8 Tomorrow: First Social Event Since My Last Drink

Old 11-11-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8 Tomorrow: First Social Event Since My Last Drink

When I decided last Friday I was going to try to quit booze, I knew I was picking an easier time of year (for me) to do it. Except for interacting with my wife and son and going to two AA meetings and going to work from Monday thru Friday, I've had the luxury of curling up on the couch most nights since it has been dark and chilly for the most part. Now tomorrow night we are going to an annual charity benefit with open bar. Any words of encouragement will help. I plan on drinking club soda with lime (any reason that's a problem?). I will ask my wife to consider my feelings and leave earlier than we'd normally do if I have a hard time.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your first week!

I think you have a good strategy. I initially stopped drinking in August, and about a month later, I went to a wedding with an open bar. I didn't indulge like I normally would have, but I still felt ashamed of unraveling all of my hard work. Maybe think about how successful you've been over the past week and how you'd feel if you had to redo it? That first week is so difficult (or at least it was for me, mentally). Honestly, who wants to go through that again?

I'm glad you have the support of your wife. This might be just the opportunity to see how much you can enjoy yourself without alcohol.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was there last weekend - I was on Day 4 and I went to an Open Bar event. I have to say the first hour was painful - I guess because I would usually walk in and get a drink and now I just had to stand there with my Diet Coke and I was NOT happy at all. I repeat NOT HAPPY.

Then I remembered that this was my choice and I was choosing not to drink and just pushed through it - I started feeling better at about 90 minutes in - it was a very long 90 minutes. By the end of the evening I was really happy. Watching other people drink a bit too much and being to actually see that they had a bit too much. Then I realized that I had been that person every time and I was VERY happy I didn't have a drink. I actually remembered people's names I was introduced to - that was CRAZY - I thought I wasn't good with names not that it was because I was drinking... Erica, Jena dn Lisa. yep still remember them lol

Get through it any way you can. Leave early if you must, don't go at all if you don't have to and keep saying in your mind over and over again - "I don't want to drink"

And by the end of the evening take a look at those that have had too much and I don't think you'll tell me that you were hoping to be that person... that person is half in the bag and not looking very happy or professional or like a parent at all.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand we're all different, but I would have never gone to an open bar event at day 8.

I took time out from all that stuff until I was sure my recovery was secure - and I still think that was a great investment for me.

If you're going Tim, make sure you have contingency plans for when people ask you what you'd like to drink, if they put one in your hand etc and have an escape plan too...

D
Old 11-11-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

I am still learning- my tips are
  • Decide if the time is right for you (if you are still getting urges with triggers etc). The first few weeks are the hardest, but I am still meeting new challenges- sobreity is your first priority if you are serious
  • arrive late so things are swinging when you get there
  • get something into your hand so no one offers you a drink
  • have an excuse up your sleeve for why you are not drinking- in case you need it.
  • Remember you do not have to be drunk to enjoy yourself, and act a bit looser than a more formal occasion
  • People are much less concerned with what you are drinking than you are. Those that are concerned have a problem not you. I had to experience this before I could believe it. There are many people who go out and do not drink, I just never noticed them before

Good luck