Notices

Putting sobriety first...

Old 11-11-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Putting sobriety first...

Today marks a hard day for me as I am missing a best friend's wedding due to the fact that it will be centered around drinking. The wedding is a destination wedding so I would have been trapped with the heaviest drinkers I know for a couple days. It was an easy decision to make a few weeks ago when I was sending in the RSVP, but now that the day has come, it makes me sad knowing what I am missing solely because of alcohol.

It does also mark a day where I can clearly see how I've changed from the old me, as I don't want to be around other heavy drinkers for my sanity and not because I would want to drink again. Sobriety has many sacrifices and missing out on this wedding is clearly one of these sacrifices. I have had to give up a lot of my old habits, old friends, old places, and old thoughts, but all of it has been to keep my sobriety first.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it is saying good-bye to a lot of things, but it's also a new beginning and finding joy in new places and new things to do.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your good health and peace of mind is worth the sacrifices you have to make.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It sounds like you definitely made the right choice. These sacrifices will be worth it in the end. I'm not sure how long you've been sober, but I know that I've also had to be very careful about keeping myself away from tempting situations.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I always ask myself 'will you feel better afterwards if you drink or if you don't drink' But mainly what keeps me from drinking is knowing that once I take the first one, I won't be able to stop and I don't want to go there again. I'm feeling good about myself for the first time in a long long time.
Sorry about you not being able to go to your friend's wedding, but you do have to put yourself first. You're amazing to be able to do this and sounds like you've got an amazing and very understanding friend.
Stay strong and good luck on your sobriety journey.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

There a definitely hard choices to be made, especially in the early days - but I've never felt I've lost out from living sober - quite the contrary.

Good call Nirvana

D