Notices

I had a drinking dream last night

Old 11-11-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I had a drinking dream last night

First one in a while.

I was at a function of some description and had decided that I could moderate. And I didn't get drunk. I drank 3 drinks over the night. But I had this pit in my stomach wondering what my sister and husband thought. But looking at them they didn't seem to mind.

And then it hit me that all I was focused on was the alcohol. I was 'moderating' but obsessed. It was so clear and depressing. I remember when just drinking 3 drinks would have been something to celebrate.

So happy to be awake and still sober!
Old 11-11-2011, 06:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can sure relate SSIL75. I'm 17 months sober and still get them myself. I'm sure happy they are just dreams. I try not to let them disturb me too much. That being said, I still wake up a bit out of sorts and all the more grateful for my sobriety.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 11-11-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I haven't had one of those dreams in a long while. Grateful yours was only a dream.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I get those dreams as well .. esp in early soberity... I wake up feeling guilty.. then remember I don't have anything to feel guilty over!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Okay guys. This is funny. My new phone is wonderful. And it knows when I've bumped it in my purse overnight or what have you. And it comes on the screen and says:

Nothing to Undo

I used to find that in the morning after bar hopping all night. I would check for drunk texts or what have you and it would say:

Nothing to Undo

Now when it says it I know it's true.

Nothing to Undo is my motto for the day.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

I had a drinking dream last night as well... must have been the night for it!

I didn't really give it much thought. I didn't even remember it until I saw this thread

-Goat
Old 11-11-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nothing to Undo, I like it!

I had a dream recently too, in this dream I was drinking but I remember that I had already slipped 2 weeks ago, the felling was really bad, when I woke up I realized it was only a dream and I hadn’t slipped in the last 2 weeks. Dreams are funny sometimes and not real but a good reminder of how far we have come.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Which isn't too far from waking up and checking for a hangover. I'm so conditioned to be desperate certain mornings that every morning I wake up frightened first and then realize I'm okay after. Ridiculous.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Now that's what I call a bad dream... Whenever I have those, I am so relieved to wake up and realize I'm safe.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Missy, Nothing to Undo! That's brilliant. I used to wake up every day and wonder what terrible things I had said or done during the previous night's blackout.

I have drinking dreams, too -- and as others have said here, I am joyful and grateful to wake up and know it was just a dream.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

That was not a dream. That was a NIGHTMARE. Nightmares are unpleasant, but nothing to worry about. I still have them sometimes and it's been 13 years since I quit (Note: I also have nightmares that I'm in college and didn't study for an important test, and I haven't been in school for almost 25 years).

Don't be alarmed. The thing to worry about is if you have dreams where you are enjoying your drinking.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
a southern belle

hey ss....i've had them too. they are scarey...nightmares. i found myself in the middle of one....wondering what i would say to my friends here on SR!! that told me flat out how much this site means to me. my subconscious mind was worried about what my friends here would think. WOW....this site is powerful! ....stay strong...stay sober...mags