Notices

Newcomer here

Old 11-10-2011, 04:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer here

Hello everyone,
Found this place a few days ago and it's helped reading through the posts. Been an alcoholic for over 40 years but in the last few months it's spiraled out of control due to pressure of new job. Drinking about 16 to 24 ounces a day of Jack to get through.

Is it normal to drink that much and not get hangovers like I do?

Also made an appointment to see the doc and finally tell him ALL the truth and see where this goes because I just can't keep going the way I am. I do NOT enjoy or like drinking at ALL but just feel it necessary in order to self medicate to get through social situations. By social situations I mean having to talk to just about anybody even friends about anything. Sneaking drinks all over the place now. Scared as hell. Told my boss and he's nothing but COMPLETELY supportive.

Also, I'm single and never married. I have a little dog who means more to me than anything else in the world and if it had not been for her and wanting to be here for her I would not be alive now. She is my life raft.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Nikoneer, and thanks for sharing your story.

I was an every day drinker for many years. Normal for me was a pint of bourbon with beers or wine. I guess at some point my body got used to the abuse and became more tolerant of the alcohol I consumed. Towards the end my body needed the drink just to feel normal. I drank hard and seldom had what we refer to as hangovers. Only when I exceeded my normal amount did I really hurt.

I think visiting your Dr. is a smart and wise move. Detox effects people in different ways.

Welcome to SR. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome

When I came here, I wasn't enjoying drinking at all either. I was honest with my Dr and I'm five months sober today

If I can do it, so can you...

You've made the first move xx
Old 11-10-2011, 05:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're planning to talk to your dr. about your drinking problem.

Our pets can help us the most in these difficult circumstances, can't they!
Old 11-10-2011, 05:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. I was also a heavy daily drinker. I didn't realize how bad I felt until I actually felt GOOD!! It is an amazing and scary realization.

I also think its a good idea that your coming clean with your doc. They can help.

You are NOT alone. I thought that I drank to feel "better" in social situations but I was in fact self medicating for much deeper reasons.

Keep reading and posting. SR and the wonderful people here have helped me more than I can say.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone who's replied. I'm sure you all know how very, very much encouraging words are at this point in time and how much they mean to someone like me. I will share more as I can but for now I just have to get through work the next few days and now that my boss knows (and understands ((almost to the point of being an enabler)) it's even harder. Can anyone recommend anything to help with the shakes until I can get to my doc? I'm so scared and nervous now that even drinking doesn't help.

Yes, our pets DO help and are even more important to someone like me who has no one else. I also know and understand that my drinking problem is very deep rooted due to social anxieties I've had all my life.. I'm just so afraid I'm going to blow it........

Thank you all so very VERY much!!!
Old 11-10-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Smile

Welcome to the family. I would say that altho you don't get hangovers, you should still ask your doctor for medical help in getting safely thru the withdrawal. Very bad things can happen when you quit drinking suddenly, hangovers or not, and getting medical help is strongly advised.:hug;

I know what you mean about your little dog being your best buddy. I have three dogs myself and they are my daily therapy and my biggest reason for staying sober, so I can give them the best life, the best care.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would suggest calling your doctor today. Tell him what's going on and ask for help in detoxing safely. Don't wait. And please don't quit drinking suddenly, it can be dangerous to your health.:ghug3
Old 11-10-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Nikoneer! I agree, I would see your Doctor before detoxing, everyone reacts differently. Better to be on the safe side.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Nikoneer, you have come to the right place Please remember that you are doing the RIGHT THING by quitting drinking and getting healthy. It is the best choice you will ever make in your life. Your life will get so much better. You will be amazed. Definitely communicate with your doctor as much as possible; keep him on board. Once you get through the detox you will feel so much better, it is so worth it it. And you have us so keep updating and we will support you! Your little dog will be so glad to have a much happier and more energetic dad!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, you said "you are afraid you might blow it". Believe you can do it! Stamp indelibly on your mind a mental picture of yourself as succeeding. Hold this picture tenaciously. Never permit it to fade. Your mind will seek to develop this picture. Never think of yourself as failing; never doubt the reality of the mental image. Whenever a negative thought concerning your personal powers come to mind, deliberately voice a positive thought to cancel it out. Try and be the person that your dog thinks you are
Old 11-10-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In just the few posts that have replied you all are already more significant to me than you can ever believe. This forum is the last thin string keeping me going. I am so ashamed at who I am and what I've allowed to happen to me than words can not express. And now, that I've admitted it all to my boss who is also my best friend I feel even worse than ever that I've let him down. Like I've said before, if it weren't for my doggy.... well, lets just say I'm tired and ready to rest but I know no one can or would take care of her the way I can or the way she needs so I hang on and postpone "rest".

Even though I'm closer than I ever have been to the help I need with the people I need supporting me I feel even more that my world is crumbling beyond help, hope or repair.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Nikoneer! I am also new to the site and old to the drinking game. I too never had much problems with hangovers, which is probably why I was able to abuse alcohol for so long. We know what it's like and it's gotten old, not to mention expensive . The most important part though is that you decided you want to change and you've got plenty of people in your corner here. The path to your new life is right in front of you and you've taken the first step. Good luck to us all on this difficult journey to a better place.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Feeling hopeless is common, I felt that way myself many times, but with the support of my addiction counselor and the caring people here I didn't give up hope but kept on trying - and finally made it. You can too, and you can turn your life around even tho it seems hopeless now. Remember, feelings aren't facts! And just as you're feeling badly now, you can feel better tomorrow, or the next day.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-tomorrow.html

Compare my attitude in the first post of that thread with post number 29, a link to one of my earliest threads here when I felt like a worthless loser. You are not hopeless! You can do this! Lean on us when you need to and never give up!:ghug3
Old 11-10-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
a southern belle

hey nikoneer...i get what you're saying. i love my dogs with all my heart...and...they love me...unconditionally! i understand drinking in order to be able to face people. i too had very deep rooted pain. i am one of the fortunate ones who went to rehab and totally let go. yes...see your doctor and tell everything. you will need medical attention while you are detoxing. i also recommend a good therapist for you to dump all the garbage that you have been carrying around all these years. you will find with sobriety...that people are just people. they are much kinder and more understanding than you ever imagined. good luck to you and good love to you and your furry child...mags
Old 11-10-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow, it's all crashing down on me now all at once. Not in a good state of mind and don't even know how I'm going to get out of the building I work at without people seeing or asking me about my red, tear stained eyes. Too emotional to work or deal with anything.

Crap........
Old 11-10-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Is there a back entrance you can use to exit the bldg? As for me I'd say "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" and not give a damn who saw me or what they think. You can do this. Please don't despair. :ghug3 Get yourself home, if that's where you're going and hug your doggie. Can you take her for a nice walk? I used to walk my dogs any time I was craving alcohol or any time I felt crappy. (they got a lot of walks for a while there)
Old 11-10-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sunglasses! Just tell them you're going through a hard time right now, or to just mind their own business. If you don't mind bending the truth, you can say you heard about the death of someone close to you. That "someone" could be the alcoholic version of yourself. It may be a good time to take a few days off of work. I usually don't recommend going to the doctor, but if you think you can't handle it on your own, they may be able to help. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Editor

Hang in there Nikoneer. Slow deep breaths. In and out. In and out. You are not alone. You have a whole family here that is willing and wanting to help. We are one big shoulder to lean on. Some are still were you are. Some of us are further down the road on our different journeys. But know this.....We know where you are coming from. We have felt the pain and guilt and helplessness. It gets so much better.It is just hard to see through the fog right now. Day by Day was my montra that I would speak to my self in the mirror just before I left the house. Just to give me the courage and to know that it will get better day by day. I will let you borrow that one, But down the road you will have to pass it along to someone else in need.
My thoughts and prayers
DAve
Old 11-10-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Nikoneer,

It has been my experience that you will feel worse when you first start detoxing. Then, amazingly, it gets better. Then it gets worse again. In other words, it was a roller coaster ride for me in the beginning. At 93 days, it still feels like it sometimes, however my moods are starting to mellow out.

I know it seems hopeless but it isn't. I posted a few days ago that I don't think I would be alive today if it wasn't for my animals....I did not want to die, but I just couldn't live like I was any longer, and I honestly didn't think I could quit drinking. You are not alone in feeling that way. But since I haven't been drinking it has gotten so much better! And it will for you too. For your life to get better, you have to get better (sober). Take care and keep posting.