Notices

Sobriety ********

Old 11-10-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Love this idea, thank you for posting!! Off to look for something that will carry special, positive meaning for me
Old 11-10-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Always, Never & Forever

Yes, this is true TU. It reminds me of not long ago when I used a knife and scratched my wrists with it while drunk...not even enough to draw blood. But anyway, I remember looking at the scars it somehow managed to leave and thought, "There, every time I look at these scars I'll remember how dangerous it is for me to drink and then I won't drink." And of course, days later I looked at the scars, and thought, "Boy, I sure am a messed up individual, I should drink" rather than, "Boy, I sure am dangerous when I drink, I shouldn't drink." The AV doesn't care about your skin decorations...but yeah, this is all AVRT and I'm probably not making sense to anyone here...so I'll digress with a standard, "I hope you do whatever you feel will help your situation and keep you sober."
Old 11-10-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

I think it can be a great idea to have something at hand that has a positive connotation and that you can reach for when stress is triggering your urge to drink. It doesn't need to be a tattoo, it can also be whatever ******** works for you, in fact, it can be some veryday object.

What you did instinctively with the letter N is distracting yourself from the original thought of using an unhealthy coping mechanism, and you can use that as a coping skill to relieve a bit of the stress and make you aware of what's really going on. Because what has triggered your urge to drink is probably the stress at work, and finding a better, nonharmful way to cope with the stress will also be important. But first, it's important to do somthing about the urge that pops up.
Often, refocusing on something visual, tactile or a smell can help to calm you down, put you back in the here and now and can make you realise what might be the reason you thought about a drink. I think it doesn't matter what it is, but it can help if the object has meaning for you. It also helps if it involves several senses, something you can touch and has a particular texture, that you can see, maybe even smell. That can be a ring or bracelet, a scarf with perfume,a little tin box with coffee beans to smell, a smooth rock, in fact anything that works for you. Trying to take a few deep and calm breaths can help too.
Also, if you know that a particularly stressful day at work lies ahead, it might help you to plan in a little special pampering afterwards in order to release stress. It doesn't need to be something expensive or time consuming, as long as it isn't drinking and it helps to soothe you and balances the stress a bit. A bubble bath, giving yourself a hand massage with some hand lotion, doing some exercise, taking a bit of time to have a small walk outside f.e. could be good. If you have a really stressful work life, it's important to actively incorporate little things that make you feel good in your everyday life, because it makes you less vulnerable to stress. So besides a ******** to use in times of need, it can also help to alleviate the causes. Whatever works and doesn't involve alcohol or other self-destructive behaviour is good,
Peace, lionne
Old 11-10-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I have celebratory ink. Love my tats. They don't keep me sober, but a couple of them are related to my new life. My vote on the body art is always yes...but I agree with others in that it's not gonna keep me from drinking.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have a coin that was given to me when I left my 28-day stay in my wallet in my pocket right now; Nova on one side and the serenity prayer on the other. Actually I kind of forgot it was there, haven't had the need to look at it in a while, but I know that it will always be there and is definitly a nice reality check for myself when I need it.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:43 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

A few days after my decision to get sober I was eating Chinese food with a friend.. and I got a fortune cookie that said "Life is a series of choices. Today yours are good ones"... and it meant so much to me... I care it in my eye glass case. I have relapsed a few times... but, everytime I have.. I wake up the next day and make a different choice. I have a few more 24 hours behind me then I have had in awhile... so, I have a few more good days of different/better choices.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Being retired military talismans are important and traditional for me. I always kept my unit brass coin, and still do, in my pocket. It is my ******** and lucky piece, and I am not normally superstitious at all. I can pull it out and know I have been there and come back.

AA gave me a coin every months and I carried them, but they were light aluminum and didn't have the same weight for me as my careerfield coin.

Then I went over a year and my 1 Year coin is brass and has some heft like my unit coin, just smaller. I was so tickled! Now it sits in my left front pocket every day with my unit coin. I will be buried with both one day. My unit coin for Combat Arms is rare now because the career field no longer exists. And I will never go over a year sober again so both are irreplaceable in my life as my two only, and most powerful, talismans.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
Right. The ******** should be positive rather than negative. I was thinking of having a labyrinth tattooed on my hand. I love labyrinths...they represent journey and struggle. They can be positive but they also represent the journey I am on with myself as I try to conquer thie problem.
I was using a finger labyrinth the other day and had the same thought about getting a labyrinth tattoo
Old 11-10-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
~sb

I was given a brass aa chip-one side has the first 3-Bill W., Dr. Bob and Bill E. while the other side has the following:

Recovery begins when one alcoholic talks with another alcoholic sharing experience, strength, and hope.

It helped me in the early part of recovery, today it stays in my purse.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you. I really appreciate Lionne's understanding of the sensory elements of this. I use alcohol to escape from a job that I love but that will devour me given half a chance. I am working on finding pleasant alternative escapes. Bubble baths are important. Narratives are important. Even watching my one soap opera (mindless though it is) is important. But today my little drawn on ******** is faded and on the drive home I was having serious challenges as I faced the evening--but I looked at my faded pen drawing and felt the commitment again.

I love TU's idea that the N should mean "never." I'm about ready to face an alcohol-driven office activity next week. Today people were gathered talking about it and talking about drinking. These are not people who normally drink together and they're looking forward to the party. I couldn't comment as I am not sure what I'll say. I just smiled. The party will be amusing. I will not drink.

I'm as committed as I have ever been and my little ******** idea is not just to stop me, but to remind me that my life is so much better sober. Even today, five days in, I found myself exhaling as if I had just caught my breath.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:03 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have three living talismans: my dogs. Every time I look at them or feed them or walk them I am reminded of the value of staying sober.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I agree Least. It has occurred to me to have the tattoo on my hand be of my horse's eye. He needs me to be sober. My dog is okay if I'm hungover--she likes it when I'm immobile. But the horse needs me up and moving. And he's waiting for me to get my act together. So maybe his beautiful dark eye....

But I'll stick with the Inked on "N" for today. Today is Friday and it's day 6 and I'm up early to...read papers. (No wonder I drink ). I am very aware that when I drink it's because both the active drinking period and the hangover are work-free. Otherwise I work. So I will read in chunks this weekend to make sure that I don't lose a whole day and become resentful. Cause resentment, well, is a trigger.