Notices

This Group is Like a Tonic

Old 11-09-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This Group is Like a Tonic

I've been away from my computer for about 5 hours tonight and the craving has been really bad. It was my first day back at work since my last drink and the end of the work day is a real trigger for me to start anticipating that first drink. Although I knew I will not succumb to the temptation tonight, the feelings of irritability that I wanted to drown with a shot were pretty bad that I had that hopeless feeling that even though I know I can get through tonight, I know I won't make it in the long haul. Then I got back to my computer and started reading through the forum, and a peace came over me. Thank you all. One day at a time.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When you've been doing something for so many years, it becomes a routine. When you quit a daily routine (like drinking alcohol), your body will be left wondering "what's going on?!". I don't want to hear you saying "I know I won't make it in the long haul" because that's just giving up on yourself - have some self respect and confidence TimFoot!. If you keep moping over a poison, you'll never be able to cure the addiction. Be proud of yourself, hold your head up, and be grateful that you just made the best decision of your life.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I completely agree, when ever I struggle I log on and start reading.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tim that's why it's cunning and baffling..."IT" wants you to forget how bad this is.

"Keep on looking for and identifying that addictive voice. It's a tricky one. It's almost, but not quite as smart as you, but the real kicker in your favour is that it is helpless and needs you to drink for it" ~ Freshstart57
Old 11-09-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Tim, That's wonderful to hear - thanks so much. I always felt the same way, & it helped get me back on my feet to come here and have so much understanding.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Feel exactly the same way
Old 11-09-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep. I know exactly what you mean. The cravings start for me right after work, I've been finding other things to do then so I'm distracted. Walking the dog, for example. Logging on here is always effective, as well. Good job getting past the craving time!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yep, I too used alcohol in that manner after work. I actually used alcohol as a universal tonic. Alcohol was the cure all for me. Now I am trying to think of other things to use in place of alcohol, like bike riding, neglected hobbies and professional pursuits, nutrition and herbal medicine.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes

This forum is a lifesaver. I just came back from "work' (helping out a family member) I left quietly saying I may not be back for a few days, I felt very irritable and resentful, funnily enough I didn't want t a drink but to get on this website.

Already I feel so much better. The irritability is fading.

Hang in there Timfoot.

All the best

CaiHong
Old 11-10-2011, 04:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This site does do so much for me too, I go on here a couple of times a day to read the posts and support.

Timfoot, try to deal with this one day at a time. Just think everyday 'I am not going to drink today'. If you think about it as 'forever' it will be daunting, although I am sure for many people after a while the idea of not drinking for 'forever' becomes comforting.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Rather than committing to not drinking today, I think it is even easier to not to drink in this present moment. Anyone can abstain for 'now', right?

Lizard's point
After a while, the idea of not drinking for 'forever' becomes comforting
is true now for me. Thank goodness I never have to go back to that hellhole of a miserable existence. Ever. Nothing can make me do it.