Notices

Hives anyone??

Old 11-09-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hives anyone??

About a year before I stopped drinking I would break out in hives all the time. It was happening on a daily basis there for awhile. The last year of my drinking was the worst of course. and that year was the year I really started to depend on alcohol to function.

It usually would happen on my legs, and they would pop up when I was doing my daily detox of the day. Basically if I had ran out of alcohol the night before, and had none left to drink the next afternoon. That is until I went to the store for more.

I'm assuming they were detox related anyway because as soon as I started to drink they would go away. Maybe anxiety related?

Since I've been sober for 6 months now, I don't get them anymore. Im just wondering if anyone has ever had hives due to not drinking when you were drinking.

-Ryan
Old 11-09-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I get them sometimes. Especially in the mornings after I was drinking wine. I assumed it was from the drinking since I don't get them when I don't drink.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know about hives, but my inner leg and arms would get really itchy. I would also have red dots on the skin. I noticed it stopped after I quit and lost a little weight.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Itching & Hives started on day 8 of sobriety!

Originally Posted by RyanRed View Post
About a year before I stopped drinking I would break out in hives all the time. It was happening on a daily basis there for awhile. The last year of my drinking was the worst of course. and that year was the year I really started to depend on alcohol to function.

It usually would happen on my legs, and they would pop up when I was doing my daily detox of the day. Basically if I had ran out of alcohol the night before, and had none left to drink the next afternoon. That is until I went to the store for more.

I'm assuming they were detox related anyway because as soon as I started to drink they would go away. Maybe anxiety related?

Since I've been sober for 6 months now, I don't get them anymore. Im just wondering if anyone has ever had hives due to not drinking when you were drinking.

-Ryan

I am on day 10 now of no drinking (and plan fully for this to be permanent) and the ONLY alcohol withdrawl symptom I have experienced is severe itching which started 2 days ago. It was slow at first and I didn't pay it much mind. A little itching here and there. Now I have itchy red welts across my abdomen, behind my knees, on the palms of my hands, eyelids, etc. The itching is horrible! I haven't eaten anything different, changed any soaps or products I use, etc.

From what I researched online, it seems that itching can be part of withdrawls. I searched this topic in this forum and don't find too much about it. Does anyone else have severe itching after quitting alcohol???? Input please...
Old 10-20-2012, 03:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
I used to have hives, also on my legs mostly. It lasted for two-three months, then were gone. Now I am starting a long sober jorney again, hope that nasty thing won't appear.

Risktheblossom. I had some itching, though not severe. Ask your doctor to prescribe you some medicine to cope with it. If you feel embarrassed to tell that you are having this from withdrawls, just say that you've been nervous lately, or have some allergy. They will test your blood and find something that works exactly for you.

Have a good weekend.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
I used to have hives, also on my legs mostly. It lasted for two-three months, then were gone. Now I am starting a long sober jorney again, hope that nasty thing won't appear.

Risktheblossom. I had some itching, though not severe. Ask your doctor to prescribe you some medicine to cope with it. If you feel embarrassed to tell that you are having this from withdrawls, just say that you've been nervous lately, or have some allergy. They will test your blood and find something that works exactly for you.

Have a good weekend.

Just to clarify a bit, were your hives directly related to withdrawl? Around what day into sobriety did you start itching?
Old 10-20-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Well, I think that it was related to withdrawl, because it appeared every time when I stopped consuming alcohol at all. It started about a week after quitting. First time it was really bad and appeared also on my hands, so I went to doctor. It took about a month to get rid of this. Next time it was no so severe, but still uncomfortable.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had itching and a rash (hives?) during withdrawal. I was in a hospital and they thought I had some sort of bug infestation. Really embarassing. They gave me some cream which helped. I still had minor itching for a while after that.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would take some Benadryl and call your doctor.