Notices

Back again

Old 11-09-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

Well, I am back on the wagon again after a one month slip. This most recent slip followed about 4 months of sobriety; the 4 months of sobriety followed a 1 1/2 year slip that came after over 30 years on the wagon. My first drink after thirty years of sobriety was related to a stressful time in my live; my wife suffering life-threatening lung disease. She received a double lung transplant a year ago and is recovering extremely well. We are now both putting our lives back together; for me, this means quitting drinking.

I am now two days sober. Over the course of this last slip I smoothly and effortlessly escalated from two six ounce glasses of wine per day to drinking a full 750 ml bottle or more per day. So much for controlled, social, drinking! It surprised me how easy it was to take the first drink after four sober months; it almost seemed to be happening to somebody else and I was just a witness. I suspect that I got a bit cocky about being sober: at least I know that about myself now. I am 74 years old and don't want to spend however many years I have left living in an alcoholic haze; I have other plans.

In only two days I already feel better physically and better about myself. My only concern now is to be able to ward off any further impulses to drink. The impulses can be pretty sneaky. I find this forum to be a lot of help in my endeavor. Thanks for being here.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Cascabel

I'm sorry for your wifes ill-health but I'm glad she's getting better.

What support network do you have Cascabel?

D
Old 11-09-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Cascabel - Wow - you've had a lot of sober time! I'm glad you're back. You can make it stick this time.

Thanks for reminding us..... that no matter how long we've been away from alcohol, if we open the door even a little, it will take over again.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes cascabel thank you very much for your post. My boyfriend and I both found it very eye-opening. Good luck and good health to you and your wife.