Notices

Alconomics...

Old 11-08-2011, 10:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alconomics...

I'm completing day three this round. That sounds pretty minimal to me. In fact, I have had about four three day wins, two four day, two week long periods and two two week periods this year with no alcohol. While that seems like a terrible record, I have another way to read it. That means that I have had, let's see: 62 days of absolute sobriety this year.

That's better than I've had in years all told, and I'm pretty glad of it. First, I owe ALL of it to SR. But most important, I suppose, I have begun building a positive pattern. It hasn't been easy, but I have discovered what to do with myself without alcohol.

It's much like my fear of flying. For years I have had a real fear of flying. I finally got a prescription for Xanax. So I took Xanax when flying for a few years. I flew perhaps ten times using it. The result was that I experienced flight without terror. Now I feel I can do it without the Xanax.

Same thing. I have lived parts of my life without my DOC. That teaches me that I CAN live without it. So, I will now find a way.

Thanks y'all. Hope you are doing well.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Believe it or not, if this is your 10th try at quitting, you have a better chance of staying quit than someone trying for the first time. Same goes if this was your 100th time, chances are better than the person on their 10th try.

Don't look at any of those attempts as failures. And don't look at any as minimal. I'm proud of your 3 days, and happy for you! Make another day!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

That's the way I looked at it this year (4 attempts), now I am 47 days sober which is the longest I have gone without drink or drug in ~20 years. I can honestly say I don't miss it, sure as heck don't miss those intense withdraws during the first 3 days.
Good Luck
Old 11-08-2011, 11:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Missy, I completely agree with the way you are looking at things.

The other day I checked out LifeRing after hearing about it for the first time here on SR. This page really spoke to me: How LifeRing Works |

Here's the quote that I found interesting:
Imagine that inside of each person who is struggling with drug and/or alcohol issues, there is a conflict between a voice that wants to keep drinking/using, and another voice that wants to be free of the drug and lead a better life. We abbreviate these voices as the “A” (the addict self) and the “S” (the sober self).

That is not only an imaginary situation, it is a common experience for people who have got into addictive substances deeper than they expected.
When two or more people get together who have this inner conflict, two outcomes are possible. Too often, the “A” in one reaches out and connects with the “A” in the other. “Let me buy you a drink!” “Sure, and I’ll get the next one.” They set up a feedback loop that reinforces the “A” in both of them and suppresses the “S.” This is a vicious cycle with harmful consequences ultimately leading to premature death.

But if the “S” in one person connects with the “S” in the other, they reinforce one another’s sobriety. “I’m fed up with my drinking/*drugging life. I want something more.” “That’s my feeling too.” “I didn’t think I could do it but I stayed sober today.” “If you can do it, I guess I can too.” “Last week I celebrated a birthday without drinking – I’m so pleased!” “Good for you!”
Now, I actually think this excerpt describes what I get out of SR. But it also made me think the following:

Everyday that we spend intentionally sober -- whether consecutive or not -- can help us break the pattern of spending so many days drunk. Eventually we realize that there is another way, because we have experienced it. That's something that is deeply powerful. Sobriety builds upon itself. Not always, but oftentimes it does -- and I think that's something we forget sometimes if we focus too much on counting days.

For myself, I've spent 30 of the last 32 days sober. By some accounting I'm technically on Day 5. But this Day 5 is not the same Day 5 that I was on back around October 14th. I don't think we should so readily discount the potential cumulative power of our experiences, even when they are disrupted by relapses .

62 days of sobriety is great, even if non-consecutive. I believe that experience changes us. You can do more!
Old 11-09-2011, 01:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Learning is learning every way you look at it. I am no longer giving up drinking, I am learning to live sober.

I used to keep a running tally of how close to 100% sober I had been over a given time period eg two days drinking out of 5 is 60% sober over those five days. It helped me keep things in perspective at the time, if I had a good run followed by a run of drinking, I didn't completely throw in the towel or get really self critical.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks y'all. Doing fine. Being sober and capable is scary.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Great post. I agree with TinMan, that we become more successful with each successive stint sober. I long ago lost count of how many times I tried quitting both drinking and smoking, and now I have about 3 months for each, which is the longest I can remember in 28 yrs.