Notices

The first step!!! Suggestions

Old 11-08-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation The first step!!! Suggestions

Well im still here and still clean=) I am working on the first step. I want to know some ways i can work and carry the first step out AND LIVE IT. If you have any ideas of any of this or activities like paper work let me know. Much thanks given
Old 11-08-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you actually going to AA or NA meetings? Do you have a sponsor?
Old 11-08-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i have a sponsor and i got to NA meetings
Old 11-08-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

IM also 56 days clean
Old 11-08-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What has your sponsor said about working step 1? 56 days is certainly way more than enough time to get past step 1.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Zackh-

I am proud of you for being sober - your post definitely sounds more positive than the previous one from you that I read. I am glad you are going to NA and have a sponsor....keep up the good work!
Old 11-08-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again Zach - I'm not a 12 stepper but I'm really glad to see you're still keeping on track and working on your recovery.

56 days is great

D
Old 11-08-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The first step is pretty easy if alcohol or drugs crippled you like it did me.
I had no reservations about admitting my powerlessness regarding drinking.
Are you having difficulty admitting you can't control your drinking?
Does the thought of never being able to drink again make you feel uneasy?
These are some questions you should ask yourself.

In response to your question I work a first step all over again every time im in a situation out of my control.
Whether it be my getting sick, being stuck in traffic or anything else I can't do anything about.
There are plenty of situations we have zero control over thar make things unmanageable, the first step is just about acknowledging our lack of control.
Once you get that down you'll get some help in step two with turning these issues over to someone who can help
Good luck
Old 11-08-2011, 10:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

1.We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.

This is not an action step, only a contemplative one. I had step one in my pocket by my first meeting. There are no real action steps until 4.

Good luck!
Old 11-08-2011, 10:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Zach -- Glad to see you're still rocking it and finding more ways to stay sober! I don't know much about the 12 steps but am really happy to see how hard you are working. 56 days is an amazing accomplishment.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I took the step in two parts.

First I admitted that I was powerless over alcohol. I could never control my drinking. It had total control over me.

The I looked at how my life was unmanageable. It wasn't difficult to see. I had been married 3 times. I had a DUI. I had been lucky for the last 15 years that I hadn't gotten a second DUI. I had been lucky that I hadn't harmed anyone by shooting a 2500lb bullet down the highway countless times. I had started mixing xanax with my alcohol and started falling in places that I did not need to be falling. Like a store, and at my in-laws house. Man that was tough to live down.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

I admit & accept. Step 1.

Step 2 Are you willing to believe your way doesn't work and another way WILL work? If yes, move to 3.

Step 3-make the decision & write step 4 + do 5. It's about changing you.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

While it's true that Step 1 is not considered an action step, some people have a very difficult time with two things (1)admitting/seeing that they are powerless over alcohol (2) admitting/seeing that their lives are unmanageable.

Some suggest answering some questions to help you come to that understanding. Here are some that might help you if you are struggling:

• Have you seriously damaged your relationships with other people because of your addictive behaviors? If so, list the relationships and how you damaged them.

• Describe any memory lapses where you cannot account for where you were.

• Describe any times that you cannot recall how you got home.

• Describe times and ways that you have significantly neglected or damaged relationships with your loved ones in order to indulge in your addictive behaviors or because you were recovering from your addictive behaviors.

• Describe any illnesses that have resulted from your addictive behaviors.

• Describe times that you have withdrawn from social interaction and isolated yourself to an extreme degree and why.

• Describe incidents where you expressed inappropriate anger towards other people.

• Describe embarrassing or humiliating incidents in your life. Were they related to your addictive behaviors? If so, how were they related?

• Describe attempts that you have made in the past to control your addictive behaviors.How successful have they been? Do these attempts show the powerlessness that you have over your addictive behaviors?

• Have you avoided people because they did not share in or approve of your addictive behavior? If so, list these people and situations.

• Describe any dreams that you have had that exhibit the unmanageability or chaos of your life.

• Is there one incident or insight that made you realize that your life was unmanageable? If so, describe it in detail.

• How would you summarize the powerlessness and unmanageability of your life in the face of your addiction?