Notices

Need a bit of advice please

Old 11-08-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Need a bit of advice please

So I got a job decorating liquor stores for Christmas. Interviewed for it before I went sober. Is this stupid? It's a six day job starting this saturday and for half of it I'll actually be working in MY liquor store. At 11 days sober it seems kind of like walking into the lion's den. But am I just being paranoid/defeatist/overly-dramatic? I don't NEED the job, there's other work I could do. But I hate turning down work especially since I'm starting school in January. Not sure what to do/feel here. What would you guys do? Is this a non-issue? My boyfriend suggested walking around in an l.s. tonight and seeing how I feel. That also seems incredibly stupid and playing-with-firey. I know I should do what feels right for me but at this point I really don't know. A few informed opinions would really be appreciated here guys.

Thanks.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For me, it would depend on how secure I felt in my sobriety. If I still felt 'shakey' I wouldn't do it but if I was feeling really happy and content in my sober life I'd go ahead. I know the advice is usually to stay out of such dicey situations but I think it depends on how you feel about deep down.

If you're not sure, and don't really need the money, I'd not do it. But if you feel good about your sobriety, then good luck to you.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Walking into the lions den for sure!Its amazing how you felt that instinct! who knows what could happen while you are there, you could do such a great job the store owner gifts you with a bottle. For me it would be too much and you said you really dont need this job. But coming here first for advice is definetly a step in the right direction!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would be too scared. It took me so long to take the first step I'd be concerned that I would start drinking again. Especially if I talked to the people I bought my wine from. They'd be like "hey what's up haven't seen you this week" and I'd be all like. "oh these are my friends I don't have any others" forgetting that the reason I only have friends ghat drink or sell me drinks is because I had no need for others.

I think it's a lions den and would avoid anything like it - especially being you say you don't need the money. Put yourself first - whatever you decide. Put yourself and your sobriety first
Old 11-08-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think this is a question of how serious I want to be about being sober. A part of me feels like I'm being ridiculous and I should just suck it up and do the damn job. But I also feel like it may be opening up a big ol' can of worms. I'm doing really well right now but it is so easy to slip-I have a very addictive mind and can so easily talk myself into doing things. I know my bf wants me to work as much as possible before school because he's going to be basically supporting me while I'm studying, so I feel guilty thinking about not taking the job. But I have to stop doing things to please others and do what is best for me and will keep me sober. Sobriety first. I would like to think I have the strength to resist and maybe I do. It's been a long road to get to this point. Don't want to throw it all away because I felt like I had to, or had to test myself. I think I'm answering my own question here.