Notices

1 Week down !!!!

Old 11-06-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 Week down !!!!

Hey guys Wanted to post I have completed my first week down ! I found something odd last night. Me my girlfriend and a bunch of friends went out to eat and I would not drink any alcohol. I noticed intense anxiety while out at the sushi bar. It was to the point the room started to spin and my heart was pounding. I kept pounding water down and made it through the meal. Does this happen often ? I didnt suffer any real withdrawal symptoms when I stopped? I just felt alittle off this week and alot more anxious. I have been able to deal with my guilt and emotions alot better. One of the biggest problems used to be when the feelings of anxiety and guilt would creep up at night I would drink until I was drunk, wake up the next morning and feel guilty about drinking. I find I may be starting to let things go and in the morning I wake up feeling like its a beautiful new day rather than regretting the choice I made the night before.

Also how do you guys deal with your friends. My best friend seemed disgusted I was not drinking last night.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My best friend seemed disgusted I was not drinking
Just my opinion, but that's not much of a 'best friend' if they can't tolerate your choice to not drink... Maybe your not drinking made him think about his own drinking and it made him uncomfortable... At any rate, he doesn't sound like a supportive true friend...

Your anxiety may be your w/d symptom as anxiety can get really severe after stopping drinking.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have not told anyone about my decision to stop drinking. I think my friend may have been confused as to why i was not on my usual bender. Its a shame but the area in which I live drinking to extremes is considered normal. They only define an alcoholic as someone that drinks morning noon and night 7 days a week. I plan on talking to all of my friends at some point and informing them I am done drinking.

How long do the anxiety bouts last ?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My bad anxiety went away after a couple weeks, when my brain was getting used to working without the depressant alcohol. If your anxiety goes on too long, or gets worse, please see your doctor.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hugs to you, Regrets! It's different for everyone, but the anxiety thing for me only lasted 3 or 4 days. I'm about 2 weeks into total sobriety after drinking daily/heavily for many years. I still get weird mood swings and some confusion at times. This morning I woke up feeling almost hung over, though of course I had not had anything.

My non-professional opinion is that it takes your body a long time to adjust to not drinking, if like me you've been marinating in the sauce for years. I read a lot about the physical effects of alcohol on the body, and there are countless effects on every system of the body, all the organs, the central nervous systems and even at a cellular level. Again, everyone is different, but in my case I am sure I caused a lot of damage; it's going to take a long time to heal or reverse what can be healed, or at least to get myself on track with this new, healthier "normal."

I stopped hanging out with some of my hard-hitting/heavy drinking friends. Like you, I live in a place where it seems everyone abuses alcohol (northern climate, long dark winters and not much else to do). I'm finding other ways to spend my time, like exercise or browsing bookstores or going to museums. I find it's actually more fun than going out drinking (or staying IN drinking)!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, The last drink I had was Oct.30th. Tomorrow will be one week Last night my husband and I went out for dinner and I didnt even want to tell him about this permanent lifechange I'm making because he's heard it all before. But at the last minute I asked him if he would mind not having a drink at dinner(yes he's one of the lucky ones that can have one drink at dinner)After a nasty discussion about why he has to always make changes for me all the time ect. ect. I finally gave in and told him that I have been on this site and I'm ready to make the change for good. He was very supportive and said of course I dont have a problem with not having a drink. It really is about surrounding yourself with supportive people. It's one thing to be strong enough to be in a place where alcohol is available, its so much harder when the people you are with are taking part in it also.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I understand about dealing with others about not drinking. I haven't really told but a select few my motivating factors behind not drinking but I found once you establish a more sober living situation most people just get used to you not drinking. Some of my friends have actually become quite supportive of it. I was sober almost 90 days before I relapsed and had some drinks last week and found that the longer o went without the more the anxiety subsided and the more I got used to not drinking. It gets better. Hope you feel better.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 1 week Regrets! I am at the same point as you I had really bad anxiety last night on day 6 and had a horrible time sleeping. I suspect our brains need some real time to re-wire. It took me a while to get to this point so I know just one week of not drinking won't undo the damage. Thankfully, I am in a better place today and I hope you continue to feel better too. As for your friend, not really cool to be "disgusted" about you not drinking. Keep up with the people who support your new lifestyle and stay positive.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Welcome, regrets! Working the 12 Steps of AA will probably prompt you to change your screen name.

"...the area in which I live drinking to extremes is considered normal."

I don't think so. After I'd stopped drinking for awhile, I found the world is full of people who don't drink much, or at all. Even if half the people in your area are heavy drinkers, that still leaves the other half. Change your surroundings. Make new friends. And remember, "I don't drink" is a complete sentence. You don't have to explain anythi g to anyone, and people who are uncomfortable around you may be uncomfortable with their own drinking. If you have a problem, maybe they do too.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi, Im so glad u posted that u had bad anxiety last night. Today is my 1 week and last night was so strange, so much anxiety. It came out of nowhere, I had no idea it was from not drinking. The first thing I did this morning was check my tea to make sure it was caffeine free and it was. Thank u for that post
Old 11-07-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Regrets! Congrats on your sobriety this far! Going to a restaurant with other drinking was impossible for me in the early days.

The anxiety gets much better - After a few weeks for me it started to subside. I took vitamins, exercised, drank a LOT of water, and stayed busy. But work through it, you'll be ok, it get's much better the longer you go. Keep it up!