Notices

195 Day Update

Old 11-04-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

195 Day Update

I have just been lurking a lot lately and getting motivation from others posts. I am now at 195 days and thought I would give a quick update on how everything has worked for me- if someone learns anything from this great.

The cravings and obsession with alcohol were pretty tough the first 60-90 days and I really could not imagine living without drinking but I toughed it out and the last 3 months have gotten better and better. The obsession with drinking or thinking about not drinking has gotten so much better. I still think about it some but it is not at the forefront of my mind. The goods news is I feel great and the damage I did to my marriage by drinking has all but gone away- fortunately there was no infidelity or anything other than I was just a grouch all the time because I was so preoccupied with planning my next drink.

The things that have been key for me in recovery include attending CR (Celebrate Recovery) once a week, attending a CR step study once per week, meeting with an addiction therapist twice per month, reading SR every night for a 20 to 30 minutes and trying to exercise every day and eat healthy. I also listen to a podcast called Recovered from iTunes that is pretty good and laid back.

My biggest focus is to keep staying focused on recovery and trying to become a better husband and father. While I did the CR route as that is what the therapist recommended I think you just need to follow some type of program whether it is AA or anything else that keeps you on track.

My life is the best it has ever been. Good luck to everyone- the effort is worth it.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Thanks for sharing! I like your very practical advice. Congratulations on your sober time, that is quite an accomplishment.

I am also using CR, but I agree that many recovery methods will work if it is something that works for you. I will have to check out that podcast, haven't heard of it before.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on your progress WINNC - thanks for dropping in & updating us

D
Old 11-04-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing and congrats to you.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's always good to hear such positive news.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update and congratulations on your 195 days!
Old 11-05-2011, 03:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Being on day 5 here, it was great to read your post. I have thought about CR and even know where and when the meetings are..just haven't gotten the guts to actually go to one.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job on the 195 days! Keep up the good work!
Old 11-05-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations, that's a nice chunk of sober time!
Old 11-05-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have to admit the first time I walked in a CR meeting was a little weird but I just finally made myself do it and everyone was nice. Everyone in there is struggling with something