Notices

holy anxiety!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

holy anxiety!

Getting into day 5 & struggling. Not w cravings but anxiety. I have raised bumps on the back of my tongue & they are adding to my nervousness.I feel dizzy, nauseated & my hands r tingling. Wa
s a big mistake tohave coffee today on an empty stomach.my hypochondria is kicking in big time. Its so hard going home to no one after work when I'm feeling so frightened. I need a hug going to psychiatrist tomorrow & can't wait....hoping to unload & start a proactive treatment plan. Thanks for listening
Old 11-03-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Quitforme, Have you had a good meal today? I know for me (and many other alcoholics) hypglycemia is a big issue. It might help you feel better. Anxiety is a issue for most recovering alcholics. I know I suffer from panic attacks. Exercise is another excellent way to cope with anxiety and depression. Good plan to see your doctor. Hope you feel better soon
Old 11-03-2011, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

So glad you posted and as tanja said many of us suffer from anxiety and or panic attacks. We have put out mind, body, & soul through the wringer w/alcohol and or drugs.

I also agree its awesome you are going to the Dr tomorrow.

I live alone too so I went and got a cat well I had 3 of them but now only one named Princess. Its nice to be able to come home to someone there if only a pet.

If you live in a no pet place talk to your Dr because many people get service pets that help w/depression anxiety.

I live in a no pet place but I am allowed to have my kitty because she is by law my service animal.

They say in early sobriety to watch out for halt, don't get to hungry, angry, lonely, tired.

At least you have found SR you will have lots of friends on-line in no time. I do mostly the gratitude threads and my all time favorite is Whiners Anonymous lol. They also have threads on anxiety and depression you might want to check out.

Hang in there you are not alone and you can PM me anytime.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No, I haven't eaten anything today...going food shopping after work. I have a healthy list of foods I'll be getting.I've had anxiety since before I started drinking but alcohol def exacerbates it. I can't imagine how much worse I'd b today if I had drank last might-have-been the thought turns my stomach thankfully! Thanks for your response, going to get a nice lunch soon...hopefully will help
Old 11-03-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Quitforme,

Not much to say, just wanted to say that I hope you feel better soon. You know it will get a lot better. Congratulations on making the decision to not drink! Take care.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think ti's really important to remember to take good care of yourself quitforme - its when we feel down vulnerable that we can be more receptive to bad decisions.

Remember the HALT acronym (Hungry Angry Lonely Tired) of things to be aware of as possible trigger points - I'd put pain and sorrow in there too, but that makes it PSHALT...not as pithy .

Glad you're seeing your Pdoc tomorrow
Old 11-03-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"I can't imagine how much worse I'd b today if I had drank last might-have-been the thought turns my stomach thankfully!"

So without the alcohol you can fix this...that is the beauty of getting rid of the poison. You CAN feel better. Glad you are going to the Dr., glad you are getting some good food...this will all help you. If you were drinking...you wouldn't be doing any of this.

I am sending you the biggest hug
Old 11-03-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sure hope you made it to the grocery store! Did you get some good choices? Nothing like a good, solid meal to improve everything!

Make sure to stay close to SR if you're feeling lonely. There are always people around and so, so much to read. Make sure to keep posting - you won't feel alone for long. Stop into the October class if you have a moment. We're a very active group! Best support system going. I wouldn't be doing as well as I am without my new cyber-friends!

Hope to see you over there
Old 11-04-2011, 03:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Anxiety was terrible for me also when i went off alcohol. i now think that it wasnt really me feeling the anxiety, it was my alcohol voice feeling it, the disease of addiction and alcoholism. your addiction is threatened by by the concept of getting sober and will do whatever it can to trick you into picking up again. but whatever you do, just dont drink! goodluck and hugs for you
Old 11-04-2011, 03:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day five!!.
I went through some rough bouts of anxiety my first week as well.
Diet is important as others have said.
Like you, I had to stay away from the coffee for at least the first week.
Now I know the rule about not giving medical advice but a supplemental B vitamin seemed to help quell the worst of my anxious moments.
Best of luck!!
Old 11-04-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow thanks for all the supportive comments guys! I did end up going food shopping and stocked the fridge with healthy stuff. Going to get back into cooking, something I always enjoyed but when you're drinking you're not eating so I get to experiment with new recipes now. And I do have a cat, he's a love and really does help ease the lonliness. Yesterday I was just feeling so awful but this morning I woke up feeling better. Went to the gym after work yesterday and it definitely helped ease the anxiety. I only woke up once last night, best sleep i've had in a looonggg time. Again, thank you all for your kind words, advice and support..it means more to me than you know :ghug3
Old 11-04-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey I was a big anxiety sufferer as well and have been diagnosed with OCD and GAD. Anyways, I know exactly how you feel and you are doing the right thing by going to the doctor. I can tell you as well from personal experience quitting drinking reduced my anxiety issues down to extremely manageable. With some CBT work, medication, and abstinence you can achieve a better life. Congrats on having the strength to get started!

Old 11-04-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Oh I am so glad you are feeling a tad better. I couldn't wait to come on here today to see if you checked in. Your story reminds me so much of me that it hit a soft spot in my heart.

What's your kitty's name? My kitty is Princess she is 6 and a talico. I have posted pics of her over in the animal forum.

Have a great day.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awww thank you newby 1961!! That's so sweet Mine is 12, named Allie, she's a real mush and cuddler which is exactly what I need right now, I will check out the pics...I didn't even know there was an animal forum. Another thing I can do to keep busy hehe Have a wonderful day too :ghug3
Old 11-04-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

qfm79, your comments really struck a chord with me - and many of us! A big part of my drinking and drug use was to self-medicate anxiety that really flared up after some big-time stressors in my life - ugly divorce, mother's death, changes at work - all in the same year. It then began to really be bad in social situations, to the point I couldn't interact with anyone without at least a slight buzz. Needless to say, the original anxiety was NOTHING compared to the price I paid for self-medicating for 7 years. I lost everything in life. I pray that you will address the anxiety and/or depression issues, take it seriously, get plugged into counseling, recovery and maybe meds early on, so that you don't go down the road I have. I can look back and see the crucial moments and they were all based on me thinking "it's just not worth it" OR "i can control things, i'm not really that bad." The most beautiful part of it all though - the payoff - is that recovery has eliminated most of my anxiety, and that's just within the first year! (and i love to cook, too. it's great getting your interests back!)