Notices

Success without AA?

Old 11-04-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by InParticular View Post
I really want to do this on my own with the support of my loved ones more than anything. It's good to know that it is possible to stay sober without AA.
"I really want to do this" is the most important thing you wrote. NO program can give you the desire to quit drinking (although sometimes a program can help you see things more clearly than you might have otherwise)--and motivation is so critical. In the 13 years since I stopped drinking myself, I've never known a single person to get sober by accident.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I agree OTT. Support is out there in many, many forms.

To the OP, one can absolutely have success without AA. I know that many have great success with AA too. Wanting to change your life, going about finding ways to do that, applying what you learn, and living happily free from addiction...that's what it's all about.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
11/11/07

AA saved my life...
Old 11-04-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You owe it to yourself to try anything that may help. Two years sober here, I went to two or three meetings but didn't continue. I don't disagree with the HP thing. In fact I enjoyed going, just circumstances made it difficult. However if I do need it in the future, I'm always open to AA again. They don't force you to talk or do anything you don't want to do.

I did receive regular counseling and doctor support however, if you are not going to do meetings it's best to think of some alternative. Some people just seem to use the Internet, the Internet helped but I felt I also needed some f2f support. There are more programs to choose from these days, some of them very good, there isn't any real easy, quick fix method out there though. Be careful with programs that are high cost and tell you they can solve your problems in a matter of days. A good all round plan of recovery is the best way to go IMO.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
instant

I don' go to AA but I assume there is a world of difference between attending meetings and working the steps. I have read some AA literature and thought a lot about the steps, there is a lot of wisdom in there. If you read them they do describe a very active process of personal change.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

In the end, you do what you have to do to get sober and stay sober.

For me, it was AA and everything the Steps and program had to teach me. I found in AA everything I had always been looking for on how to live and be comfortable inside my own skin. But AA isn't the only path to the mental, emotional and behavioral development I needed to undergo to stay sober. If you are desparate enough, you will find what you need somewhere. If you are a certain type of alcoholic, like the kind I am, it is highly unlikely you'll figure it out on your own. You will need help. And if you're not that desperate, maybe you don't need to change as much as I did to stay sober.

Whatever your path is, I wish you well upon it.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have 16 months sober. I have turned my life around through therapy, hard work and SR...I have never been to an AA meeting but think it's a wonderful program that has saved so many people. I just didn't think it was a good match for me...and not because of the religious reasons many people state as a reason not to use AA.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Lizard and InParticular, it's totally possible to do it without AA. I recommend checking out the "Secular Connections" part of the forums, not necessarily to find something secular but just because you might come across some options other than AA that might work for you. Best of luck.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Obviously there are other methods... I'm sure there was at least one person to get sober before AA was founded.

I'd recommend finding somewhere with face-to-face meetings with people in your shoes or have been.

Family and friends (non-recovering that is) can be helpful for support, but they can also be a direct setback ("come on out to the bar anyway, you don't have to drink"), or an indirect setback ("well why don't you just stop" or "don't you know that's bad for you?"). Many can try to be helpful but just aren't very good at it.

I found an addiction treatment center (out-patient) here that's funded by the county. I really don't feel like AA is the way for me, but paying $100/hr wasn't an option either. Do some searching. Your doctor's office or local hospital might have a list of places like that, if you need somewhere to start.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:24 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

There are a lot of different aa groups out there. If you go to a meeting that attracts x gang members and x cons then you might not feel comfortable, or you might feel more comfortable. If you go to a meeting that attracts ceo's and rich housewives then you might feel more comfortable. Or not.

I don't really think AA is all that per se. What AA has going for it is that AA is a chance for somebody to use the powers of socialization in their arsenal against alcoholism. Some AAers in my opinion have lost the power of friendship over alcohol in the details and structure of the AA organization. But there are a lot of great people in AA, I mean A LOT of awesome people. One would be limiting ones chances to leave AAers out of their social recovery tools.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Foo Fighter.

I looked into AA and decided it wasnt for me, I dont have the mindset that Im depriving myself of something I want and cant control my need for it. I convinced myself being intoxicated is stupid and that way I dont want or need it in my life anymore. Its a simple concept and it works for me.