Notices

Detoxing Monday

Old 11-12-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Frisky: Is there an AA central office which you can contact to find out more about meetings other than the one you went to? Are there any alternative groups, such as SmartRecovery? You might try googling a bit on the web and see what comes up. Stick with this SoberRecovery website. There are lots of different threads and posts about many subjects and the international membership has lots of experience and good ideas. There must be some other alcoholics in your vicinity. Perhaps that nurse can help you find some. You can organize a discussion group. It doesn't have to be AA to start with. Then later you might convert it to AA if you wish to do so. I found group support and advice very helpful in my situation. Perhaps a counselor can give you some ideas. As for anxiety, I assume you know that exercise is a good antidote for that. Good luck and keep in touch.

W.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I've got a list of them all Painter, they're just too far away. Why did my family decide to settle in the middle of nowhere?!

I have found a few things that could be interesting though. A craft group and there is a local Women's Institute. It would be nice to have new people around me, that would be good support, to just gossip and have fun
Old 11-12-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sounds like a plan, Frisky. I'm so glad to see you upbeat & doing well.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

It does sound like a good plan, Frisky!
Old 11-15-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Just checking in. I'm still doing okay. Cravings are still bad at times, especially when I'm on my own, but I'm getting an idea of when they're likely to hit and how to cope with them.

I picked up a few craft things with the money I saved (yay!) so I'm working on a paint by numbers now
Old 11-15-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the update Frisky - keep it going!

D
Old 12-01-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Just checking in again I'm still doing well I broke my laptop though and having to use an old one with a very broken keyboard hence the missing letters and punctuation lol Oh and it overheats every 20 minutes!
Old 12-01-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds a bit like me Frisky LOL

D
Old 12-01-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Frisky,

I am proud of you. It will get easier, things will get better, but it will take time and work. Paint by numbers sounds like fun....bet you couldn't have done it if you were drinking/drugging (I couldn't, anyway).

Your recovery won't be a straight line up, but you are so doing the right thing. Take care and keep us posted.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Well. I slipped. Slipped pretty bad to be honest.

It could be worse, I know now I have the tools to get to sobriety.

I have nobody in real life to talk to except a friend who lives many miles away. If only she'd been closer. I'm calling her tomorrow.

It's so tricky though! (Not talking to the friend, that's easy ). What am I supposed to say? "Hey mum, I really fancy a drink today."? I've said that and it she just asks if I took my medication. Or "Hey friend. I bought a bottle of vodka today and drank it." My best friend is so worried about me that talking to him confirms that one little slip means it's the end. And I know that's not true.

I just need somebody to talk to. And not AA :P It doesn't suit me. I'm not just trying to get over alcohol, I'm trying to build a new life, and I feel at a dead end. At the end of the day alcohol is still a nice warm blanket that blocks out the other problems in my life. I need to find a way of that not being the case because that warm fuzzy dunt solve nothing.

Above all, I'm really lonely.