Notices

Approaching 30 days.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Approaching 30 days.

I'm coming up on 30 days of sobriety. I've been attending an intense outpatient clinic as well as almost regular AA meetings. Im feeling sort of lost. I'm not sure how to explain this feeling. Sometimes it feels like things are super clear and then others I feel like it's my first day walking this earth. Regular tasks seem difficult to complete. I just kind of feel like I'm floating around. Does anyone have any experiences that they'd like to share on how they felt the first month or so?I just feel like I'm going nuts and don't know quite what to do with myself...
Old 11-03-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

30 days is great, there’s a lot of up’s and down’s in the first couple months so hang in there, thing really do get better.

Things felt really foggy for me in the beginning too

Congrats on 30 days!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

The first few months were a bit of an emotional rollercoaster for me too. I think that's pretty normal JessG

You might get something out of this link - see if it rings any bells
PAWS « Digital Dharma

D
Old 11-03-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am approaching 30 days too! And it has taken me longer to feel better this time, but I am starting to get my energy back. A lot of it has to do with my being out of the loop so long this time. Seriously, a month of sobriety is a big deal! Especially for me because I haven't had a month sober for a year now. I hope we can all find joy in living sober, because if we aren't enjoying our sobriety, then what's the point? That's going to be my new excuse to enjoy my life, because I am sober now.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 30 days.

I'm almost 3 months sober and it does get better. Though still there are days that I feel exactly like you wrote - what is happening with me days.

For me sobering is like going up in a down moving escelator - I constantly have to put effort to be ahead and not drift down to the bottom and have a drink.

I take energy from the good days and seek actively support on the bad days - therapy, AA, exercise and talking with other sobering people helps me.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

I felt a lot of what I would call periods of anguish, and all sorts of other stuff. Quite euphoric at times. The emotional instability lasted for months, is less intense now but I can still feel emotionally unstable at times, at nearly 6 months.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi JessG, You have been drinking & covering up a lot of emotions & feelings for quite some time so yes it is going to feel funny for quite some time while your body, mind & spirit heal.

It will slowly start to get better every day that you don't drink & start to work on your new sober life and keep making positive changes in your life & the way you think.

All of the best in your recovery :
Old 11-04-2011, 02:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The good news is that in recovery we discover our feelings

The bad new is that in recovery we discover our feelings

It will get better - big hugs xx
Old 11-04-2011, 02:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hi jess! after quitting for the last and final time i absolutely felt the way you are feeling now. looking back on that period of time i would describe it kinda as an existential crisis of sorts. alcohol had been so important to me for so long, such an intregal part of my life and now suddenly it was gone leaving a void inside me and i had no idea what to fill that void with or how. all i will say is it did eventually get filled in again, this time with more healthy..... substances, or whatever you want to call it. i think it was filled with healing spiritual awareness that i discovered after i was no longer enslaved under the alcoholic cloud. just dont pick up, whatever you do. it gets better hugs
Old 11-04-2011, 03:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi JessG,
Welcome to SR! online you will find amazing support & inspiration. We have all been in the same situation esp us newcomers. I am too just over 30 days sober it has not been easy but i am finding with each day now that i am starting to feel better and more relaxed, find time for yourself and make plans to do things you always wanted to do but when drinking couldn't be bothered!
Good Luck & Stay Stong!