Notices

Newcomer here...3 days sober

Old 11-02-2011, 11:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One day at a time...

Newcomer here...3 days sober

Hello all,

I just found this site and would like to share my story. It's good to know there is a community of people who might actually understand what I'm going through.

I had my first drink at 14. I don't remember when alcohol completely took control of my life...but it must have been sometime in undergrad. Those years are a bit hazy. More recently, I've become more and more out of control. I can't remember the last time I had more than one drink in a night and didn't proceed to drink so much that I blacked out.

My drinking has cost me at least one job (showed up to the interview still drunk, from the night before), and my most recent relationship. I've woken up in a pool of my own **** more than I care to admit. I've driven drunk so much that it is terrifying (a few months ago I was about 10 miles down the road from the bar before the guy next to me at a stoplight screamed I didn't have my headlights on). Luckily (or maybe not), I've never gotten a DUI.

Three weeks ago I went on a three day bender and Monday was the first time I had physical withdrawal symptoms from alcohol abuse. It was awful. And it didn't stop me from heading back to the bar the next weekend - where, drunk, I proceeded to have a one night stand. Apparently, I didn't learn from my last STD scare.

The strange thing is, I am intelligent, fit, and disciplined. I'm a law student who makes good grades, I bike commute, and I work out two hours a day. Alcohol is the one thing in my life I can't seem to get control of.

For some reason, on Saturday I just said to myself "enough is enough." I went to a party Sunday, had one beer, and that is the last drink I had. 3 days is my longest run without a drink that I can remember since at least age 20.

The hard part is, I run with a hard-drinking crowd. Getting wasted in law school is almost mandatory. My closest friends genuinely support me because they know that if I don't stop I'll be dead before 30. But a lot of people have the attitude "YOU? Not drinking...c'mon man that's not like you." Obviously my best bet would be not to place myself in those situations but I have social commitments. The other hard part is that I genuinely like the taste of booze. I don't drink the cheap stuff - I'm a huge microbrew fan and I looooove good scotch.

At any rate...it's good to see I'm not the only one.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome to SR Mister! You will find a lot of support here, and as you already acknowledged, you are not alone. Many can identify with your story.

Post where you'd like, and read around. Good luck!
Old 11-03-2011, 12:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome to the community, you will find many people here with similar experiences. You may find reading the personal stories in the Big Book (free online) helpful in reflecting on your experience.

We live in societies where alcohol is everywhere and is heavily promoted- that cannot be changed (see serenity prayer). By the way I am not a 12 stepper.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I think you will find a lot of people here that understand what you are going through. I think you will find a lot of support here too. Stick around.

Congrats on day 3!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile

Welcome mister, and thanks for sharing your story. You are not alone. I know I sure enjoyed expensive booze as well. My thing was pricey bourbon..and lots of it. In the end, alcohol is alcohol. To my mind and body it was poison. Every aspect of my life has improved since I quit drinking.

I guess my desire to quit drinking is stronger than my desire to go back to the insanity that was drinking.

Staying sober is hard work, but then again so is dealing with the mess of drinking.

Thanks again for sharing. Lots of support here.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One day at a time...

Having a taste for the good stuff is an added detriment to the wallet as well. I've saved well over $100 not drinking for the last four days. Perhaps I'll use that money to buy myself something nice...
Old 11-03-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Welcome, Mister!
Old 11-03-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome MisterHockey

The hard part is, I run with a hard-drinking crowd. Getting wasted in law school is almost mandatory. My closest friends genuinely support me because they know that if I don't stop I'll be dead before 30. But a lot of people have the attitude "YOU? Not drinking...c'mon man that's not like you." Obviously my best bet would be not to place myself in those situations but I have social commitments. The other hard part is that I genuinely like the taste of booze. I don't drink the cheap stuff - I'm a huge microbrew fan and I looooove good scotch.
I ran with a hard drinking crowd too - first at uni, then as a musician, and lastly as one of a group of guys who just liked to sit and drink all day...

I had to look at priorities - I wanted to change my life and get sober - I tried to do that just by living my old life soberly and of course it didn't work.

I finally accepted if I wanted to to change, I needed to actually change things....my life and friends have changed - but not for the worse

If you have a strong enough desire to change, nothing anyone else does or thinks matters.

There is no 'mandatory drinking' for me now and I'm aware enough now to discern between genuine social obligations (at which I drink sparkling water) and drinkfests - I know what's right for me - and I stick to it

Stick with those good friends who support your sobriety

D
Old 11-03-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey I'm in grad school and I'm on day 4. I know exactly what you mean about social commitments and drinking being mandatory in grad school.

Sounds like we are in a similar situation with drinking, making good grades and somehow not getting a DUI. I have been doing extra work the past four days to keep myself occupied because there is never a time when I have nothing on my to do list.

Good luck!
Old 11-03-2011, 08:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The fact is that alcoholism is a progressive disease with one of two outcomes: death or sobriety.

Welcome to SR.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR, Misterhockey!

I understand what it's like to have friends that pooh-pooh your concerns about your drinking. Just don't make the mistake that I did and listen to them.

I too loved the microbrews, good scotch, etc. I had a taste for high quality bourbon and even went a road trip touring bourbon distilleries in Kentucky. I'm kind of an all or nothing guy, so while my drinking had always been very heavy, when I finally stopped giving a rip I made the switch to vodka and ended up drinking about a fifth a day. I'm not saying that would end up happening to you if you went back to drinking, but it's true what they say about it being progressive.

Anyways, stay strong, keep posting! I'm 6 months sober now and, although life isn't perfect it's much much better than it was.