Notices

How did you make it your first 6 months?

Old 11-03-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I think this is a very valuable thread. I am now at 14 months. My first milestone was 1 month and that seemed difficult (it really was day by day those first few weeks). Thoughts of trying moderation stayed in my head for awhile because early on I couldn't imagine NEVER EVER drinking again so I decided just not to act on these thoughts and put them aside so I could give sobriety a try.

Then at about 6 months I was getting an idea that life could be sober and I could go places and do things without drinking. So at that time I decided not to even consider moderation until one year and I totally relaxed not having to worry about moderation (moderation is very cunning and can trick you into thinking you can do it - most of us can't). So I figured I was just as good without wine and was afraid to risk even a glass - and who wants only one glass of wine anyways)!!

So on August 20th of this year when I finally arrived at one year I had learned that I really don't have to drink to have a life and that trying moderation is way too risky and just not worth it - I had learned I didn't need wine to live my life and still be happy. BUT THIS IS KEY: I had to live it myself my first year to really get it. So those just starting out with sobriety must have faith that your feelings about moderation will change the longer you are able to live sober.

Also, I realized that I had to do something different to break the seemingly never-ending cycle of drinking/not drinking and then going back to drinking to try to be a "normal drinker". Problem is I'd be right back to drinking NOT like "normal" within weeks or a month or so. So I joined this forum and participated and with the help of people here forced myself to try AA (and I was scared to death). AA was critical in my first several months, however, as I gradually got back to other activities and interests I filled my time with those things. AA is one form of affiliation and some make that part of life but for me I chose other affiliations and know AA will always be there if I need it.

Hope my story (in brief) is helpful to others - even if one person gets one thing out of it then well worth posting.
SCW
Old 11-03-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Brilliant thread StPete!!

I have just entered my 8th month of sobriety (yeah me).
For me, remembering how it felt to be anxiety ridden and sick. You have to NEVER want to feel like that again...and most of all recognizing that Alcoholic Devil Voice - when "IT" even attempts to speak to me, the strong willed Aries RAM girl that I lost for a long time, shows up NOW everytime and "IT" knows it won't win.

I found SR in August - oh what a find - has been such a huge part of my on-going recovery and I could not agree more with Freshstart in that giving back and helping others is a tremendous feeling.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Good question!

I tried a lot in the past but I wasn't truly committed to change. I've now been sober since 4/12/11, so here are the steps I took once I started taking recovery seriously.

It started by deciding to go to rehab.
-Went to rehab for 30 days. Insurance didn't pay for it, otherwise I would have gone for 90.
-Moved back in with my parents semi-temporarily -- most of my stuff is in storage so I'm kind of living out of a suitcase.
-Started meeting with a therapist weekly. Therapist specialized in addiction and recommended that I attend 3 meetings per week.
-Started meeting with a psychiatrist monthly to deal with unresolved mental health issues.
-Found 3 meetings to attend, one of which is a step group through Celebrate Recovery, where I am working the 12 steps with a group.
-Asked several recovering addicts to be "accountability partners", rather than a sponsor (although I'm not opposed to the idea of sponsorship)
-Started reading books about recovery and depression.
-Started going back to church.
-Broke off all ties with past drinking buddies.
-Started posting regularly on SR.

That's roughly where I'm at now. Actually, writing it out it looks like quite a bit, but I really just took it one day at a time and got a lot of help from good friends and sober friends and my family, and God for that matter. Things aren't perfect, but I would do all of these things over again if I had to, even rehab -- which was sooo hard.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Now that I look back..it was a surrender...I was done with it.
I think my boyfriend heard me say "I wanna drink" or "I want some vodka" almost every day especially the first few months. But then in the next breath I would say.."No I don't, I can't" and think about how it felt drinking, the blacking out, the withdrawal hangovers.
I came here, to SR, so often when I was bored, or thinking about drinking, or for whatever reason, my boyfriend was getting jealous, but then he saw it was a huge component toward me being successful.
Sometimes I think I'm making things up..cause I seem to tweak what I remember a little differently each time..but I guess I was lucky that I was done with alcohol before it was done with me.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

First 6 months

I just made 6 months Monday 180 Days! This is my second time around (I had 217 days in 2009).The difference is the spiritual part of AA is in my heart. Maybe because I call my sponsor and/or network everyday, attend monthly business meetings. Read the literature, have joined another group (Back to Basics) which assists me in understanding the Fellowship and Program.

At first, I did not feel the spiritual component, as a matter of fact became indignant when people would speak of their God. But, something happened in the Back to Basics group. I came to believe in God again. Not the fearful God of my childhood but the omnipotent, all knowing, forgiving loving God.

4th Step last week..hard stuff but cleansing. Still doing the work..learning who I am for the first time in my life and it feels good. Oh yeah, I have not had the desire to drink in 4 months.

Reading the literature, a God centered network and sponsor, becoming involved in my group and rigorous honesty - it is working for me. God is truly doing for me what I could NEVER do for myself.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations memiselfniok

D
Old 11-04-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
~sb

I went to AA, took the steps on days 14 + 15, continued with AA.

I've been happy, gone to more events in the last "twelve days shy of 6 months" and laughed more in these almost 6 months than I have in the last 15 years!

SR also helped!

Took the steps again at 4 months and taking them again to learn the process so I can help others soon!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

When I wanted a drink, I told myself "drinking will only make things worse."

Even when things were terrible, I constantly reminded myself "drinking will only make things worse."

I just kept telling myself "drinking will only make things worse."

It is true.

And things got better!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Decided on which 5 meetings fit best with my schedule, making sure I included 3 that my sponsor attended and made a commitment that I would be there unless I had a work thing or was too ill to go to work that day.

Made a commitment to myself to talk with a sober alcoholic before I would drink again.

Tried my best to tell the truth about what I'd experienced and felt drinking and what was going on inside me currently. At homegroup I would talk about whatever I didn't want to talk about that week.

Attended a book study each week, useful because nothing would stick at first when I read it on my own.

Made progress on the steps, getting the maximum understanding I could from each one before going to the next.

Made a couple of conventions and witnessed sober people actually having great fun.

Learned some new attitudes about being a good employee and some social interaction standards of behavior. Being nice when I didn't feel nice.

The world and people in general improved amazingly in that very short time.