Notices

Really struggling to stay away from the bar.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Don't do it!
Old 11-02-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Dominica - Do you remember how you felt when you posted This Thread?

Now why would you want to toss that feeling away?
Old 11-02-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad you got through it Dom - our posts crossed lol

D
Old 11-02-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

(((Dom)))
You can do it. Many before you have gone through just what you are going through. I love the urge surfing idea. I have been successful lately at losing some weight, by being mindful of my urges, and why I am having them.
How are you tonight?
Old 11-02-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good job, Dominica! I was thinking about you after I read your first post. Thanks for the update. I am proud of you!
Old 11-03-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Well, I made it through last night and today will make 9 days, SOBER. :o) Thank all of you for your support, because I think that is the only reason that I am being able to stay as strong as I am. I dont know what I would do without this forum.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dominica2 View Post
Im just going to stay here at work, i dont even walk by the bar right now (Im not going to lie, I have to pass about 6 of them just to get to the coffee shop and I will detour) There is a huge annual motercycle rally this weekend here, so even MORE beer venders not even 50 feet away! Its just frustrating. I mean I can literally taste it in my mouth, and thats bad. Its been 8 days when will this feeling finally subside??? Its driving me insane. Thanks for listening.

Time and patience is key to your recovery. It's really hard with the cravings because your so use to the fact of having that drink in you. That feeling your asking about subsiding? Your early in recovery and it's still in the early stages, Im 2 months sober myself Not sure if I told you that already. I read and try to understand others journey through this. To be honest I'm in a safe haven at home and don't really have any cravings or temptations because alcohol isn't in house for access, they made sure there wasn't any. But even with their safety precautions. I really want to quit for good. But I guess I did have a bit of cravings for booze when I lived on my own for 5 months and knew I could access alcohol anytime because my room mates drank and I never told them I was an alcoholic. I thought about it alot towards drinking when on my own. But now I am safe and have a better chance of recovering then I did on my own. SO as I said time and patience but as I have read in this post, focus on today only which I do. Don't worry about tomorrow or yesterday. It does work even though it's an aa idea I find it does help me out. If AA weren't around for any of us, we'd all be gone pretty soon due to our drinking. I hope you do well with your recovery because the result is worth it, in time cravings will go away but even when they do.... you still have to work at staying sober because its a life committment. I remember reading in the Big Book they haven't found a cure for alcoholism yet. To be honest if they did find this cure.... wouldn't everybody still continue to drink if they think being cured from it will result in being able to drink again? off topic just a thought in my mind lol Good luck and keep on going, as mentioned im 2 months sobered and I know it wasn't possible where I lived before. GOOD LUCK
Old 11-03-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
If you're doing AA and have a sponsor or someone similar to call when you are out & about and feeling conflicted, that's one of the best solutions out there to nip it in the bud.

Or, if you're one of those people with a Smartphone and able to access SR, you can use this forum. That's what one of the other members did the other day when he found himself at a formal dinner/reception overflowing with free booze. The real-time support from SR members worked for him.