Notices

Not sure What To Do

Old 11-02-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Not sure What To Do

I'm new to forums and not sure what to do. It took me 2 hours just to get up the nerve to register. Now I'm having bad anxiety because I did. I 'm not sure what to post as that i don't want to get into trouble for saying my DOC. So I'm starting with this and if anyone can get me started I would be grateful. I've hit rock bottom today. Thank you
Old 11-02-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

You can share as much or as little as you like.

We are a very non-judgemental group, so don't be afraid to express what is bothering you.

And be assured that these forums are a safe place. We are a family here.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...we're glad you are here (and I had a lot of anxiety too at first). One of the moderators will be along shortly to answer questions for you i'm sure. you don't have post right this minute, take some time and read.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Hollandrea! Glad you're here and welcome to the forums! I'm only in day 2 of my recovery and my DOC is alcohol. I spent almost all of yesterday on this board before seeking out an AA meeting and attending it last night. In my one day on this website I have seen people talking about every drug you could possibly name. There are great people here who will not judge you - everyone is supportive and we are all leaning on each other to find our own path to recovery, sobriety, and a healthier and happier life. Whatever your problem - you have found the right place. Don't be afraid to ask questions and keep posting! Good luck!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Unfortunately my DOC is cocaine and alcohol. I'm scared and i don't now where or how to start. My hubby is a user also. We have hit rock bottom. Today i went to get groceries and couldn't even write a check cuz we are so overdrawn on our account. So I googled for some online support and found you all.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. This is a very supportive community. I do understand your anxiety- it is hard to open up and admit to ourselves and others that we have a problem. Keep reading others stories. Please post more when your are comfortable. I am sure that more than one of us can relate to you
Old 11-02-2011, 11:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Hollandrea! I'm excited for you to feel better. Since I am soooo new to all of this I don't have much advice to give so I'll leave that to the people on this site that have all the experience. I can tell you that going to my first AA meeting last night made me feel really good, I don't feel alone today. I was so surprised to see people from all walks of life and all different ages in the meeting. Have you thought about trying AA or NA?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've checked and there are really none in my immediate area
Old 11-02-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The sad thing is that even with not being able to get groceries for my family today now all i want to do is use to get numb and not deal with it
Old 11-02-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Hollandrea! So glad you decided to join us. I'm new here too and everyone is so helpful and supportive. It also helps me to read posts by others as there is so much to learn from similar experiences we have all been thru. Great job in taking the first step and posting
Old 11-02-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Hollandrea!! Please feel at home here to discuss whatever is on your mind. As Anna stated, we are a supportive community and we don't judge. I enjoyed meeting you in chat...I hope you return.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 11-02-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Here you will find people who have found their way back from that and worse.

You have to want it with your whole heart though. Hope you're there because sobriety is a wonderful thing! Welcome!
Old 11-02-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Hollandrea, I'm new to the site too I was also very nervous about joining & posting but I just jumped right in, started to post & the people here have been wonderful.

how are you doing? Have you had a good day? Love Hayley
Old 11-02-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Hollandrea View Post
I've checked and there are really none in my immediate area
You live in Chicago and can't find any AA or NA meetings? The windy city is a huge town, surely there are meetings close enough for you to get to. I'd suggest looking again.

Chicago AA Meeting Directory - GSO Area 19

http://www.chicagona.org/meeting_directory.html
Old 11-02-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family, Hollandrea. You can get off the rollercoaster and have a new life - no more insanity.

I drank for many years - in the end, all day every day. I never thought I could live without it. Now I'm heading towards 4 yrs. sober. You can do it, too. We are here to support and encourage you as you get well. Congratulations on your decision - life can be wonderful again.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
You live in Chicago and can't find any AA or NA meetings? The windy city is a huge town, surely there are meetings close enough for you to get to. I'd suggest looking again.

Chicago AA Meeting Directory - GSO Area 19

Meetings in the Chicagoland Region
Hollandrea, a lot of times people can pick you up if you don't have a vehicle or aren't close to public transport. You could try calling the number for the meeting closest to you.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Hollandrea
You really are among friends here - this is a very supportive community, full of understanding ppl.

You'll find a lot of others here who have experience with coke and alcohol and getting out of the hell of active addiction

I've glad you've joined us.

D
Old 11-02-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have a hard time opening up and talking. I'm always told i say too much. But how do I get better if I can't be completely honest and find people who will accept me and find others who are going thru the same as me?
Old 11-02-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Hollandrea! :ghug3

You're not alone - we know what addiction is like and how scary it is. I'm glad you're here. Check out our section on substance abuse, too:Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 11-02-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi, Hollandrea. I experienced a very fast and very scary dependency on cocaine when I was very young. I had no money for treatment and I was terrified to tell anyone, friends or family. I started journaling and it really helped. There is something about seeing what I want from life, written down on paper, that really helps keep me focused on getting and staying healthy.