Notices

3 days in...

Old 10-31-2011, 10:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 days in...

Hitting day 3 & I don't feel much of any withdrawal ( I was only drinking heavily for a month (this "time" anyway) but still didn't know what to expect). I am grateful my anxiety has not been unbearable and I think it's because I'm keeping busy by doing positive things. I've scheduled my weekend with fitness activities and book store trips. I know it sounds a little rigid but I have to plan almost every hour of my day in order to rebuild a "normal" routine. Fake it til you make it, right? My biggest anxiety right now is quitting smoking after this pack runs out...I have quit many times and failed but I feel it's a great time to come clean from everything and I want this to be my last attempt. I never believed in NRT before but I have some patches just in case I need something extra. So here I am prepared, tools in hand and I have to say that today I really felt wonderful. No hangover, just planning like a dork in my little planner lol and i'm even welcoming the insomnia because I know it's all part of the process. Thanks for listening
Old 10-31-2011, 10:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cngrats on day 3!

Taking on quiting drinking and smoking at the same time is a lot to take on.

My year date is coming up and the house nurse still wants me to look at getting past that and then maybe talk about quiting tobacco in early January.

I tried not to change a whole lot this past year other than getting off a certain anti-depressant that was really messing me up.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks tinman! I know it's a lot but just 6 months ago I had quit smoking for 3 months (wasn't drinking at that time), went to FL to see my family, had a glass of wine and smoked that night. So alcohol really is the biggest trigger. I just feel like the memory of being a non smoker is still close and I remember how wonderful I felt not being chained to it. I know it won't be easy but I'm somewhat of an extremist (which isn't good when I'm doing bad) but now that I'll be exercising again, I'm hoping it will help keep me smober. I've heard that coming off antidepressants can be very difficult and I hope you are feeling better. When you're ready to give up smoking you will
Old 11-01-2011, 12:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey good luck to ya, it seems like it lasts for ever but it will be over before you know it. I mysefl am on day ten of quiting heroin and smoking cigarettes. I had the same idea as you with the cigarettes. I might suggest taking vitamins. I hear that the vitamin niacin is depleted from drinking, and niacin helps with anxiety. Ive been taking a multivitamin and it has really helped a lot. I have never heard the quote fake it till you make it I can defiantly understand it, and I am going to give it a try.

Last edited by Nm1drw; 11-01-2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 11-01-2011, 12:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey, quitforme79, congratulations on day 3. It sounds like a great plan to schedule in some activities for the weekend - particularly positive activities to improve your fitness.

Regarding alcohol being a trigger for smoking; I stopped smoking 13 years ago but just two weeks ago ended up smoking several cigarettes during a night of heavy drinking - it would never occur to me to go anywhere near them if not completely drunk.

You can do it. Good luck!