Notices

Parents night out~what to do?

Old 10-31-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

A tool that was helpful for me in early recovery was...

"What would a normal person do?"

Would they consider bagging a night of babysitting because they couldn't drink? Would they go to the fancy restaurant and not drink? Would they stop being so uptight and go enjoy a cheap burrito and a coke? (fellow foodie here - I get it ) Would they go to a fancy restaurant and drink water?

It may be daunting but this is really an exciting time. You get to choose all new behaviors. Try out different things. I can't emphasize enough the importance of an open mind. You may think (as I did) you are cool and worldly and non drinkers are dull but it's not true. Other people really are onto something with this 'normal life' thing.

I did all kinds of things in early sobriety. I went for Tea with my husband. I went to a pampered chef party. I went to the gym when I was stressed out. I went outlet shopping at 7pm after a bad day. I cleaned things I never knew got dirty. And honestly I remember most all of it fondly (MLM parties ARE lame. I was right ).

As an alcoholic I knew embarrassingly little about normal life in spite of having a very normal 'looking' life (husband, house, kids, good job pre-kids).

Enjoy your date night! And NO you shouldn't drink!!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I totally get what you're saying, munchkin. Depending on the company/occasion, I would often have a single glass of wine. I only overdid it when alone or with others who were doing the same thing.

The problem for me is that I'll never be able to look at alcohol the same way normal people do and I'm wondering if that's the case for you, too. In other words, is that glass of wine really that important?

Knowing myself, I'd be able to limit myself to one glass for a while, maybe even a year, but eventually there would be another occasion, a fancier restaurant, a special romantic trip....... It's happened to me before, so I just wouldn't want to go there again.

p.s. cranberry and soda with lime is pretty darn good.....
Old 10-31-2011, 10:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Seems like an awful lot of thought is going into those next drinks, munchkin. I can definitely relate. It was such a relief to finally quit, once and for all, and not have to obsess over alcohol ever again.

There are plenty of gourmet chefs who manage to turn out a meal without a bottle in sight. And grapes have uses besides wine. Vineyards, too. They're a great setting for a spa, for example, or possibly a bed and breakfast. Dreams don't have to end... they can just evolve.