Notices

Day One - Wish me Luck!

Old 10-31-2011, 05:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One - Wish me Luck!

Hello all. First let me say what a helpful and supportive forum this is.

I've been worried about the amount of alcohol I've been drinking over the last few months. I've always been a binge drinker - I don't seem to have an 'off switch' when I do drink, so quite often have a tendency to continue drinking until incoherent. For the last 20 years, I would normally only indulge on a Friday or Saturday, and it didn't negatively impact my life hugely, other than being worried about occasional memory loss, or having done something embarrassing.

Since around March this year, both the frequency and quantity I've been drinking has increased. It has got to the point where I drink every night. Lately, it's been anything up to 2 bottles of 13.5% red wine (alone) during the week in an evening (quite a lot for a 5 ft female, I think). Since I drive to work, I need to set off a little later so that I'm hopefully not over the drink-drive limit (thus work is starting to be impacted). I am also becoming increasingly anxious and depressed - it's getting difficult to find the energy and motivation to get out of bed each morning. I seem to have built up quite a tolerance, and am also worried about the health issues and damage I might be doing to my body.

With the help of links from this forum (thank you everybody!), I think I've established that I'm probably in transition from early-stage alcoholism into mid-stage. That's difficult to admit to myself. I need to do something now to prevent a further deterioration of my situation before it's too late.

I haven't made a decision to never drink again. I don't think I can make that decision just now. I do know that I must stop and take a period of reflection, at the very least. I've tried, half-heartedly, over the last few weeks to give up; but have only managed a couple of days. My friends are also heavy drinkers, so social situations can be difficult - drinking heavily is a fundamental part of my social identity.

I am making a serious commitment to 30 days sobriety, starting today. I've taken the day off work to try and sort myself out. The thought of 30 days without alcohol scares me: the thought that I might not be able to achieve it scares me even more.

Today is day 1. Thanks for listening, and please wish me luck!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome pootles! This is a wonderful place to find lots of support in your quest. It can be done...by you!
Old 10-31-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there. Nice to meet you! Sounds like you've got a good handle on what's what. Hope you have a good day off today and get a great plan together for the next 30 days, and beyond. Try not to worry about the social situations - You're still you, and you'll still be part of the group and part of what's happening, without a drink in your hand. You don't need to give anyone a big explanation (unless you want to) ... I mean, if you find yourself worried about anyone questioning your choices, a simple explanation such as you're cutting back on drinking (or cutting it out) as a lifestyle change for health/fitness reasons is all that's required - and, after all, that's what it is. No one should have a problem with that and it shouldn't negatively affect how anyone feels about you.

Happy sobriety to you!
Old 10-31-2011, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Pootles! I have been the same track as you for over a month--I also was terrified driving to work some mornings worried I'd get arrested. That was a huge sign for me. I just moved to a new state so I don't have a social circle to explain anything to which makes it easier for me. I don't know where you are located but check out meetup.com- it's a great site where you can find groups of people (most start out as strangers) who do activities all the time. There are hiking clubs, fitness clubs, accupuncture clubs, tea parties, shows to see, just about everything etc.This could keep you busy on the weekends with sober fun things. Who knows, you may find a new passion for something you never even had! I like your 30 day time frame. It will give you an ooportunity to see how much better you will feel and yet isn't overwhelming to you at this point. Stay well and good luck...you can do this!
Old 10-31-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR You will find lots of support here. Keep reading and posting.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Drink tea

Hello Pootles, I'm new to this too. I found day 1 to be the hardest, after all it's so easy to have another 'day 1' tomorrow - but it can be done - and day 2 will soon be here. You can make it, be strong.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by switchboard View Post
You don't need to give anyone a big explanation (unless you want to) ... I mean, if you find yourself worried about anyone questioning your choices, a simple explanation such as you're cutting back on drinking (or cutting it out) as a lifestyle change for health/fitness reasons is all that's required - and, after all, that's what it is. No one should have a problem with that and it shouldn't negatively affect how anyone feels about you.
Thank's for the support, switchboard, and the tip! I intend to start back at the gym this week (which I gave up back in March when my drinking started to escalate), so perhaps it won't seem so odd that I'm not drinking, and I'll explain just as you suggest. I could do with losing a few lbs, so hopefully that will be another benefit, assuming I can stay off the booze.

Originally Posted by quitforme79 View Post
Welcome Pootles! I have been the same track as you for over a month--I also was terrified driving to work some mornings worried I'd get arrested. That was a huge sign for me.
Hi quitforme79! A big sign for me, too - it's quite sobering when you weigh up the consequences of being arrested / losing your driving licence or (god forbid) being in an accident and harming somebody. Thanks for the meetup.com link - I'll certainly check it out. Hope things continue to go well for you :-)
Old 10-31-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome x
Old 10-31-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Pootles!

I am glad you are giving yourself a break from drinking. You won't believe how much better you will begin to feel. I found the first 30 days pretty difficult, but just keep coming to this forum - it has been a huge part of my recovery. And it gets easier as time goes on.

Good luck to you and let us know how it is going. Take care.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One thing to keep in mind, is that as long as you give yourself permission to drink on day 31, the 30 days are probably something that you will be able to accomplish...then, once you do, you'll start to feel that maybe you were wrong in thinking that you had a problem with it in the first place, and that now that you've taken a break, you can do things differently...just be careful of this.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Pootles! And good luck to you!

Do you have any plan of how you will make it through your 30 days other than shear will power?

Coming to SR daily helps out. Keep us updated on your progress.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Pootles,

Great advice from everyone above me, so ill just say good luck, and keep posting

AoS
Old 10-31-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks again to you all for your kind words.

Originally Posted by humblestudent View Post
One thing to keep in mind, is that as long as you give yourself permission to drink on day 31, the 30 days are probably something that you will be able to accomplish...then, once you do, you'll start to feel that maybe you were wrong in thinking that you had a problem with it in the first place, and that now that you've taken a break, you can do things differently...just be careful of this.
Hi humblestudent. You make a really good point. I've not thought any further than the next 30 days. All I know just now is that I need to stop and break the habit of daily drinking, and drinking to excess; and that I need to do it now before my health and career fall apart. I don't know what to do on day 31. Hopefully I can learn from the experiences of folk on this forum and make the right decision.

Originally Posted by TheTinMan View Post
Do you have any plan of how you will make it through your 30 days other than shear will power?

Coming to SR daily helps out. Keep us updated on your progress.
Hi TheTinMan! I've bought vast quantities of bottled water, and intend to start at the gym again 4 times a week, the idea being that I'm not 'giving anything up', so much as taking up something new and positive. I wish I could say that I'm replacing one addiction with another, but unfortunately I've never been able to become addicted to the gym !

I hope to continue posting here and learning from everybody's experience.

Fingers crossed!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Pootles
good to have you with us

D
Old 10-31-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Another member here did the same thing: quit drinking for 30 days. But when the time was up he felt so good he kept on staying sober. After several months he decided he felt so good he wasn't ever going to drink again.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. Another member here did the same thing: quit drinking for 30 days. But when the time was up he felt so good he kept on staying sober. After several months he decided he felt so good he wasn't ever going to drink again.
Thanks, least! I hope I come to the same conclusion.

Basically, all of my social life revolves around drinking. I told a friend today that I'd not be drinking at a gathering on Saturday night (and I'll drive so as not to be tempted); and I pulled out of a 'pub crawl' the following Saturday (at which I would normally have binge-drunk). She seemed quite taken aback and slightly offended! I think I need to build up a social life over the next 30 days which doesn't involve alcohol or pubs at all, so that I've got some sort of social life away from booze. I don't want to slip back into drinking because of the absence of anything else.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome pooties!

Once I started drinking a bottle of wine each night, I felt like I was just getting through the day (waiting for my first drink). I could relate to your post, and just want to encourage you and tell you that you really can do this, in spite of your fear. The obsession takes a while to fade ( a lot longer than 30 days in my case), but it's so freeing when it does.

Keep reading!:ghug3