Notices

experiencing all kinds Crises of Faith...

Old 10-31-2011, 02:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

experiencing all kinds Crises of Faith...

I'm beginning to kind of understand the AA "Higher Power" idea but am struggling. Most AA groups are very Christian and I am a "recovering Catholic." I do not hate the Faith. I consider myself more a Theoretical Buddhisht Agnostic but right now I feel compelled to resort to my upbringing in Catholicism and the Sacrament of Absolution for Solace. If there is a Christian God, would he hate me for going back to the Church for comfort though I am not a True Believer? I do not deny that a higher power exists but I don't want to be so strongly tied to a politics I don't believe in. I want to give myself away to My Belief but I don't know where to go for spiritual guidance. I know the Buddhist won't turn me away but i'm afraid of the judgment I will face from the Catholics.

Wil any Spiritual Belief accept me? I want Faith in a Higher Power but don't know of one who will truly help me.es
Old 10-31-2011, 03:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Last time I looke we Catholics still follow the Bible dG - one of the most moving passages for me is the Parable of the Lost Sheep (Luke 15)....so no I don't believe God would hate you....for anything

But as far as the Higher Power thing goes...I'm not a 12 stepper but I know that if the Higher Power of your understanding is Buddha - use Buddha.

If you feel it's a Christian God tho, use that.

It's whatever you believe, purely and simply - how can it make sense otherwise?
D
Old 10-31-2011, 03:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

All you need right now is a spiritual starting point and you seem to have that. You'll be just fine.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

As I understand it no one can stand between you and your God. There are many false prophets. Give to Caesar what is Caesar's.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

God as you understand Him is a powerful and freeing phrase. I rejected organized religion in my life due to the secular politics at one time. I still resist them. They seem ungodly.

Build your relationship with your higher power based on your understanding. My God is a loving, forgiving God, who has always received me like the father received the prodigal son.

Peace,
Old 10-31-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

You haven't been to "most" aa meetings. Mine are Not Christian nor religious, or I wouldn't be there!

There are many other programs and methods available, try something that works for you!