Notices

Hi Everyone

Old 10-30-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone

Hi all.

I have been contemplating quitting drinking for a long time now. Creating an account here is my first action step toward this goal.

I am 30 years old. I started drinking at the age of 12. Drank heavy until the age of 18. I got married and had no desire to drink for several years after that. Early in my marriage I helped my husband work through an addiction and kept myself a rock to offer support to him. He successfully recovered and we had three beautiful kids.

In 2007 I began drinking regularly as a form of self medicating for a condition that was painful. My condition has been brought under control and is no longer painful but drinking still seems to have stuck around. We used to have one or two beers on occasion when we went out for dinner and rarely ever did I drink alone or drink more than one or two.

I have a great life. Strong marriage, healthy kids, great job, nice house...I have no reason to be doing what I am doing! I am a weekend binge drinker. I don't touch the stuff all week and then Friday night as soon I get home from work I crack open a beer. After dinner I go to my room and listen to music and drink beer until I pass out.

My husband is very supportive of me. He has asked me to change and he pointed out that I seem to be getting worse and I drink on Saturdays now too.

I recognize that I have lost the ability to stop with one.
I feel terrible that my kids see this as a normal thing that I do.
I know that I am damaging my health.
Every minute I spend getting lost to alcohol is a missed opportunity to be enjoying the people I love.

I don't want to drink anymore or be that person anymore.

With my family's help and hopefully some input from this forum, I am building a plan break out of my routine and stay sober.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Welcome to SR! It is great you are ready for recovery! You will find this forum to be of great help and support! :ghug3
Old 10-30-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR mammabear - you'll find lot of support here

D
Old 10-30-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. It IS possible to quit drinking and live a better happier sober life - I'm proof of that. You'll find a lot of support here as well as much useful information. Take a look around the site. Lots of different forums for lots of different things. Make yourself at home! :ghug3
Old 10-30-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! There are a lot of vry loving and wise people here than can lend you support.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi mamma. It's great to have you here. I wish I'd reached out for help when I was younger. My life would've been entirely different.

It sounds like you understand the meaning of the phrase, "Alcoholism is a progressive disease". Congratulations on wanting a better life for yourself & your family.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Welcome!
SR is a great place to read and post for support.
Look forward to hearing more of your story.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and great to have you. It sounds like you're all set to recover and you'll find an amazing support system here .
Old 10-30-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Greetings Mammabear~

Another smart smart SMART young one who is choosing better, I love it! I wish I had the smarts at your age to get beyond my drinking and partying ways.

I'm here to help support you, just ask k?

s.e.a.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome mammabear!

Glad you're addressing your drinking issues. It's great that your husband is supportive (and understands what addiction is like, too). My alcoholism didn't develop until I was married and in my 30's, but I'd had periods of weekend binging early on in my life, too.

I can tell you: it's so nice to wake up on Saturday/Sunday morning now and feel energized. You're making a great decision!
Old 10-30-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
I can tell you: it's so nice to wake up on Saturday/Sunday morning now and feel energized. You're making a great decision!
Thank you. I want to have more energy on the weekends and be able to go to my kids games without a hangover. I feel like such an idot when I wake up Saturday morning and I'm completely useless.