Notices

My many Day Ones

Old 10-29-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My many Day Ones

I'm coming up on two years sober this winter. Two years ago I was about to reach six months sober and was proud of myself... until I gave in (why??) and drank for two damn days. Brought myself right back to square one, where I'd been so many times before. Was I just hopeless? Was I doomed to drink myself to death? Was I going to alienate everyone I loved so I'd be completely alone all the time? Why couldn't I just die and get it over with...

So I started over again. Yeah, yeah, same ol' same ol'... And stayed sober out of sheer stubborn determination. Wasn't really happy, but I was sober, and that's saying something, given my history of constantly relapsing.

At around three months I was still sick of myself and being sober just wasn't enough. I didn't want to drink again and have to start all over, or just walk out into traffic, if you know what I mean.

So I did something totally different from my depressing and hopeless state of mind: I started being grateful for my blessings. At first I had to really work at it to find anything to be grateful for as I was dealing with a lot of problems, most of which were brought on or made worse by my drinking. But I was determined to give it an honest effort and I'd express my gratitude for even the tiniest little thing, like someone letting me into traffic on a busy street. Anything that made me smile. Anything that made me feel even a little bit better.

And as it became a habit, it became easier to find things to be thankful for. In fact, I started being thankful for the many blessings I took for granted, like being able to breathe, and nice parks to take the dogs, and good restaurants, and taking my mother to the doctor's for help... all things I am able to do, all good things that added to the quality of my life but which I never stopped to think about and give thanks for.

Quite a few years ago I got a piece of paper with some interesting statistics. It stated what the percentages would be of all the people on earth if the entire world's population were reduced to just 100 people. And as I sat there reading it I realized that even with my 'problems', I still had it better than most of the people in the world. Of the 100 people/world's population, only one would have a computer. I have a computer. Therefore I'm the lucky one. What a blessing!

So now my whole attitude is different, much healthier, and I see things in a whole new light: the light of gratitude. I realize how blessed I am, and even tho it took emotional disasters to get to this point, I'm happy with how I turned out. And the unexpected bonus for my gratitude is that I have no desire to drink. It's not an option any more. I'm too grateful to want to wreck everything good in my life.

I never would have gotten to this happy place if I'd just given up on myself like I so often wanted to do. Thanks to the good people here and my counselor, I didnt' give up. I tried again (and again and again) and I finally made it. So can you! Don't give up!
Old 10-29-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very good advice. I'm glad you shared this.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks, Least!
Old 10-29-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Least, I know exactly what you mean on wanting to give up and die, I've been there....trying and trying, over and over again. But no, I won't give up! I'm on day 10... Had some struggle today but I made it..I'm getting ready to go to bed and tomorrow will be another day. Thank you for this inspiring post I'm so glad you wrote.

Your friend Shy.........
Old 10-29-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank-you
Old 10-29-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"I never would have gotten to this happy place if I'd just given up on myself like I so often wanted to do."

Well Said! better yet Well done!
Old 10-29-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Thank you, Least. This was truly an inspirational post. You always have the right words to say to make me want to keep fighting for sobriety. Congrats on the 2 year mark and may there be many more! :o)
Old 10-29-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks for sharing part of your story least

D
Old 10-29-2011, 07:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What a beautiful testament thank you least!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Thank you least, your post made me smile, I needed that today...(((least)))

Cathy
Old 10-29-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Truly inspirational..... thanks least!!:ghug3
Old 10-29-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very well explained, least. I definitely agree with the part about just being sober, but not really happy about it. That was me, too at first. I think many of us give up at that point & just fall back into our old ways. You came up with a good solution.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Excellent advice. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2011, 10:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Thanks for sharing! That was wonderful.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
instant

Thank you Least. Something you said shortly after I first came here got me posting everyday on the gratitude threads. That training has made a real difference to the way I see things and the way I "talk" to myself about my situation. I really hope your post will help another newcomer as much as your comments helped me.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That's a great post Least. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks least, this was the perfect post to read this morning. I could relate so much to your comments. I am a recurrent relapser who often lapses into self pity. Looking at the positive things in my life is great lesson. Things look clearer and more positive after almost a month of sobriety. I take your your message to heart.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

you said it best least....i too starting posting the atttitude of gratitude...often saying at the end, i was grateful to "fake it until i make it"....at the end of the day i was going to bed sober and waking up sober....at some point i stopped having to fake it and have a happier frame of mind daily.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post!