Notices

Newbie Seeking Addiction Advice

Old 10-29-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Newbie Seeking Addiction Advice

I am brand new to this forum.. I have read several posts and just want to add that I feel welcomed here..

I have been a pharmacutical opiate addict for about 6 years. I have gotten to the point that I don't get "sick" anymore. This is due to a limit of money.. I know that if I have money that I would probably spend most of it on pills.

BUT because I don't get sick anymore I don't see the need in continuing to take pills. Right now it is a COMPULSION.. every minute of every day is focused on pills. I think about it all the time. Even though I'm not getting dope sick anymore. This is day two with no pills. I don't even know where to begin. I guess I need help with my cravings. Thank you in advance.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't have any opiate experience as alcohol was my DOC. Take it an hour at a time and if you have to minute by minute. I found it best to keep myself occupied during my first week or so that I quit. Go for a walk, see a movie, clean house, take a nap (if you can sleep) pretty much anything to keep my mind off using/drinking. Welcome to Sober Recovery and congratulations on your decision to quit.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

You will find lots of support here.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi x31966 - welcome!

Opiates were never my thing, but you'll find lots of experience and support here. You might also like to check out our Substance Abuse forum as well

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 10-29-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome x31966!

The mental part can be maddening, for sure..... I thought about drinking as much, if not more, after I got sober. I showed me how much alcohol had become an addiction for me. I spent a lot of hours here - it helped strengthen my resolve every day.

The cravings are uncomfortable, but the more you don't act on them, the weaker they get. Eventually, I could go a whole day without even thinking about a drink. Priceless!

Glad you're here and congrats on 2 days!
Old 10-30-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep going - it will get better. Think how great it will be when you aren't obsessed with pills - very liberating - and you will have $$$$ to do things that you want to do, and have the mental joy to do them! You are on the right track - I am sorry it is so difficult for you, but you know you are doing what you have to do. That stuff will take you nowhere fast.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome X3.

I'd definitely swing on by the Substance Abuse section. There are several threads on there about opiate recovery. Head over there and tell your story and listen to what the old timers have to say.

I'm in the same boat you are. There IS hope and there is a way out.