Notices

First Post- advice?

Old 10-28-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post- advice?

I have been binge drinking almost daily for over a month. I have past episodes of abusing alcohol (over the past 10 years) but could go for long periods without it. Almost everyone in my family is an alcoholic or addicted to something. When life gets stressful ( I mean major losses), I turn to drinking. Within the past month, I have lost weight, developed stomach issues and live everyday with intense anxiety and sometimes debilitating depression. I have a new symptom the day after which is blurry vision. This does not seem to be going away. I am so scared I am going to go blind and feel so alone, I have nobody to talk to. Tomorrow, I am going to find a therapist. I can't see myself going to AA, I know that sounds wrong but I don't have the guts. I can't even leave the house right now. Weekends are the worst. I do manage to get to work. Has anyone had the vision problem? Will it go away? I drank A LOT yesterday. Did some bad things. I'm ready to stop but I'm so fearful I have messed up my body, mind and some relationships forever
Old 10-28-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome quitforme

I really urge you to seek professional medical advice - these symptoms may not prove to be anything serious...none here can tell you that or not - but detox can, and has been, problematic for some of us.

Best see a Dr and set your mind at rest

D
Old 10-28-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, please do talk to your dr, as well as your therapist.

Your dr can give you advice about what is going on with your vision and your health in general.

I'm glad you have decided to stop drinking.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Start with your doctor. I had vision problems - not sure if it was due to drinking or just getting older and happened to time well with my last years of heavier drinking. It was really noticeable. I wouldn't say that it totally went away after I quit, but it's better.

Are you, or could you be, diabetic? My friend's vision was horribly blurry when her sugar was really high.

Definitely make that doctor appt. It's the best place to start.

Nice to meet you, and good luck ... and keep on posting!
Old 10-28-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome quitforme -

I'm glad you found your way here and that you want to stop drinking. I remember the awful anxiety I often felt and the depression that went along with it, all due to alcohol. It's a relief not to live that way anymore.

I do hope you can talk to a doctor. According to what I've read, we can see improvements both mentally and physically up to 18 months after getting sober. Make it the #1 priority in your life, get all the support you can, and take it one day at a time. If we can do it, you can too!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your advice. I actually did speak with my dr about it a couple weeks ago and she thought it was due to low blood sugar from not eating much. I had some blood work which came back normal (even my liver levels) which I thought was amazing. I know that was a sign that I haven't done too much damage just yet. Hopefully all my other results will come back normal too. I'm sure most if not all of my health symptoms/issues will disappear without drinking. It's amazing to me how I have family members who have drank daily for 30 years and still keep going while I am falling apart after a month. I believe that someone or something higher is trying to tell me to get my act together. I know I deserve a better life than this...I have so many goals to reach and happy times to enjoy. Thanks again for your support
Old 10-28-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh and I just read that I am not supposed to ask for medical advice, my bad! I was just wondering if anyone else had that symptom and didn't mean to go against the rules
Old 10-29-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a very supportive community.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Quitforme

Glad you're here and glad you are consulting with your Doctor. Withdrawl is awful and very dangerous. The anxiety and "not wanting to leave your house" is the bloody alcohol keeping you there. Don't pick up another drink and you will soon see that YOU WILL be able to do the things that seem impossible to you - I've been there - the cloud will lift if you don't drink.

We're all here for you. Don't compare yourself to the 30+ drinking family members - this is all about YOU my friend.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Since your gp seems to be guessing, have you been to an eye doctor?
Old 10-29-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
God's Messenger

Dear Quitforme79,

I know how you must feel, alone in this process and that you couldn't heal, but I have got news for you that will just blow you away. Have you ever heard of healing the name of Jesus? People who get healing because the sickness has been rebuked, that is "calling out" the sickness, are feeling much better. It starts with accepting and believing Jesus can heal all. Even your vision, even my vision, even a paraplegic's legs who has not walked in years, all of us can get healing .

Read John 5

The Healing at the Pool

1 Some time later, Jesus went up to Jerusalem for one of the Jewish festivals. 2 Now there is in Jerusalem near the Sheep Gate a pool, which in Aramaic is called Bethesda[a] and which is surrounded by five covered colonnades. 3 Here a great number of disabled people used to lie—the blind, the lame, the paralyzed. [4] [b] 5 One who was there had been an invalid for thirty-eight years. 6 When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, he asked him, “Do you want to get well?”
7 “Sir,” the invalid replied, “I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred. While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me.”

8 Then Jesus said to him, “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.” 9 At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked.

The day on which this took place was a Sabbath, 10 and so the Jewish leaders said to the man who had been healed, “It is the Sabbath; the law forbids you to carry your mat.”

11 But he replied, “The man who made me well said to me, ‘Pick up your mat and walk.’ ”

Hope you start feeling well soon
-Holy Doctor
Old 10-29-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
God's Messenger

12 So they asked him, “Who is this fellow who told you to pick it up and walk?”

13 The man who was healed had no idea who it was, for Jesus had slipped away into the crowd that was there.

14 Later Jesus found him at the temple and said to him, “See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you.” 15 The man went away and told the Jewish leaders that it was Jesus who had made him well.

John 5: Verses 12-14

Sorry >.< I left that out!
Old 10-29-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome You can have a different fate than your family.