Notices

Not sure if I should watch The Rum Diary

Old 10-28-2011, 02:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure if I should watch The Rum Diary

I want to watch The Rum Diary at the movie theater but don't know if I should watch it because the trailer shows that most of the movie is around alcohol. Rum is in the title of the movie. That type of movie is something I would watch and I know I would not want to drink after the movie but don't know. Should I see the movie or wait until it comes on DVD?

I would see In Time but don't like Justin Timberlake at all. Any thoughts on this?
Old 10-28-2011, 02:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know the movie, but if you're worried enough to ask us, maybe its best to give it a miss for now Act10n.

Just looked it up...I'd probably avoid a movie based on a Hunter S Thompson work right now

D
Old 10-28-2011, 03:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

totally agree on Justin Timberlake, the premise looks very interesting but i really cannot stand the bloke!

In the past I have found that seeing people drinking in movies/tv it makes me want to drink, on sober days i've even felt the tv was taunting me!

I'd give it a miss myself, but i'm only on my 5th day so i'm trying to stay away from anything drink related

AoS
Old 10-28-2011, 03:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just seeing the trailer on TV made me want to get a beer so it depends on your willpower and if your working a strong program or not.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I think it looks like a bad movie, alcohol aside!
Old 10-28-2011, 04:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Even when I drank I didn't care for movies that glamorized drinking. Of course, maybe it doesn't do that and shows the horrors of alcohol. But I think I'll wait for Tintin the movie.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I don't know about the rum diaries for now, although I have no desire to drink today. I watched a movie about Justin's life and I know have a lot of respect for him today. Why not go bowling?
Old 10-28-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i'd like to think that Justin is taking a new direction and hope he gets more diversified too. (i did HATE his song duet with Madonna, blech).

as for the movie, it would be a trigger for me even now. all it takes is a commercial some days, depends on my mood.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Isn't it a Hunter S Thompson thing... you know, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, another movie that Johnny Depp starred in... hmm... a pattern.

I loved Hunter S. Thompson's stuff... he was over the top all right.

I watched Fear and Loathing recently, not only did it not trigger me, I was happy to not be a part of that insanity.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

IMHO There's really nothing glamorous about HST. The guy was pretty miserable and shot himself dead a few years ago. He also had some major health problems probably brought on by his drug and alcohol use. Guy was only 67.

Besides, why would I want to watch someone else's alcohol-fueled insanity when I can so easily create my own at the drop of a hat? I don't even need overpriced popcorn for that.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I avoided all music and film with references to alcohol in them as much as I could, in early sobriety. I can deal with it now but it took awhile. Recently I read the book by Keith Richards because I'm just interested in that era/music, the inevitable tales of excess didn't faze me. Wouldn't have attempted it at an earlier stage though...

I agree if you need to ask, you're probably not ready and best to avoid it.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm going to watch it now because In Time is showing 30 minutes later. I was asking general when it comes to Alcohol movies. I don't have an issue about that. I will give you a review on the movie when I get out.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

after i quit drinking lastyear, i went to see eat,pray,love, and they drank soo much wine in the movie! it took everything thing i had after leaving not to go get a bottle! imo, id say just wait a bit?
Old 10-28-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's your choice, movies aside though, if you really want to be sober, sometimes you have to be prepared to make some tough calls, be willing to go to any lengths, and sometimes that - your overall attitude - is reflected in the choices you make. In early sobriety, you have to ask yourself occasionally is the risk really worth it? It doesn't mean that the measures/sacrifices will have to be forever. Please remember that in future because relapses often build over time, through a series of events or choices.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I just finish watching the Rum Diary. The movie was okay and had some good seems in it. Its more of a wait for DVD then watching it in the theater. Most of the main characters has a heavy drinking problem. Most of the time they get their self in trouble because of the amount of alcohol they consume. I will not tell you what happens at the end but if you go see it sober then you will not come out wanting to drink.