Notices

Almost 1 day

Old 10-27-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost 1 day

Hours into my 1st day of cold turkey, it hurts.I've been hooked on alcohol since my early teens. I've taken time off for babies, & the occasional try for sobriety, but I've always slipped. I fool myself into thinking I can have "just one" instead, it turns into a pint of vodka every day. I'm at this point again & am determined to stick w/ it. My sister scared me sober last night when she said the bruises I have are due liver damage, so herei am deriving. I put off work to have enough time to get through withdrawal. Happy I found this site!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I hope you talk to your dr because detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome...you've come to a great place.

Anna is 100% right, please please call your doctor FIRST!

We'll still be here
Old 10-27-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

We're here for you

SD, I certianly hope the bruises arent from liver damage. I'm been sober for 1 year and 4 months, and thanks to soberrecovery.com 45 days off crack. If I can do so can you. I've had problems with cravings and old friends, but I honestly want to give it all up. There'll be some suffering, but it wont be so bad. Keep posting and make friends. People care and want to help. You can do it.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Be safe when going thru withdrawal. If you feel badly or 'strange' please get medical help right away. Detox can be dangerous, be careful.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SD. Congrats on quiting. Scared for you though. I as well drank a pint or more of vodka a day for awhile. I have almost 90 days sober. I went to a rehab for 1 month, but they would not take me until I went to a detox; it is very dangerous to do it alone. I have to say with the detox facilitie's help it was super comfortable and easy and set me on a great path for recovery. Hope this may be an option for you. At the least please let your DR. know what is going on. Take a look at alcohol withdrawl symptoms as well so you will know what you are getting into. Best of luck. You will be in my prayers.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello SD777....

I admire your courage and I am so proud of you for taking this very important step in your life...
Stay strong, and remember you are never alone!

I wish you the very best...

You can do it!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, it is best if you get medical assistance with detox. You don't need to be admitted to the hospital, you can go to a "promptcare" (or whatever they call the walk in clinics in your area) and be in and out in a couple of hours.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SD.

Ditto from me with the Dr advice - best to be safe and have your mind at ease regarding your health

Welcome to SR

D
Old 10-27-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello Neferkamichael....

I am really happy for you and I hope you continue to do well in your recovery.
May I ask what made you decide to "give it all up?"
I'm attempting to get over a relationship that fell apart because my boyfriend refused to recognize that he has a drinking problem. Or maybe he does know deep down inside but doesn't think he can do anything about it?
As much as I enjoyed being with him, I always felt so intimidated by his "friends." In my humble opinion, it seemed to me that all of his friends came from the bar.
I always felt like such an "outcast" because, I don't drink at all.
I am not an alcoholic, but I have issues with depression and I am very pleased to say that with professional help I am in recovery, so therefore, alcohol is not an option for me and I like it that way!

I hope you continue down the road of recovery and that each new day brings you the peace and happiness you deserve
Old 10-27-2011, 10:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR and congrats on deciding to get sober!
Old 10-27-2011, 11:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You'll find a lot of great advice and support here. Congratuations on your decision to quit drinking.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 2 and already feeling better. Slept through the night for the 1st time in awhile. Detox symptoms are already abating, but still not 100%.
thanks for your words ofencouragement & support!
Old 10-28-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome SD - glad you're getting through detox OK!

At the end of my drinking I started getting worried about my health, too. I had gotten sober before (for many years in fact), but this time I could really see where alcohol was going to take me unless I got serious about sobriety.

Hanging out here has been a huge help. Congrats on day 2!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SD777 View Post
Hours into my 1st day of cold turkey, it hurts.I've been hooked on alcohol since my early teens. I've taken time off for babies, & the occasional try for sobriety, but I've always slipped. I fool myself into thinking I can have "just one" instead, it turns into a pint of vodka every day. I'm at this point again & am determined to stick w/ it. My sister scared me sober last night when she said the bruises I have are due liver damage, so herei am deriving. I put off work to have enough time to get through withdrawal. Happy I found this site!
I'm really proud of you SD777...stay the course!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

this is day 9 of your new journey....stay the course 1 day at a time!