Notices

Just gotta share

Old 10-27-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Just gotta share

Weeellllllll, I emailed the local AA here and also looked up and noticed they have open meetings at 7pm. On top of that, there has just been a change in command in my hubbys unit and the new people in command feel that soldiers need to get off at decent times to spend time with their families sooooo it means he'll get off at normal "civilian" times!
Weird how that all works out isn't it!!!
So I'm thinking next week I'll start going!

Now my question is, I'm not a really "devout" christian. Yes, I somewhat believe in a higher being whether it be God or something but I do find myself very uncomfortable handing control over to some other unknown out there which is what I read AA really pushes. I am a serious control freak/perfectionist. Irritates the heck out of my hubby but that is how I've gotten through so many deployments and other difficult situations in the military.
So I guess I need advice or just info on what else to expect at a normal AA meeting.
Now if my psychologist would just get healthy and reschedule my appt I would be really happy!

4 days sober going by the way! Last night we went out to dinner. All the other patrons were ordering their Manhattans, Long Island Ice Teas, Martinis and what not while I sipped my water with lemon. (kinda wishing I could order myself at least a beer!)

Last edited by munchkin05; 10-27-2011 at 07:12 AM. Reason: added
Old 10-27-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good to hear you've got some information about AA. I hope you'll keep an open mind about it. It is probably better to discuss the faith issue later. The main thing at this stage is to go to a meeting and see if you can relate to what people are saying here.

I remind you of what you said in your original post: "I cannot tell you how many nights I would be totally inebriated, stomping around the kitchen yelling quietly that I DID NOT WANT TO BE LIKE MY MOM all the while my infant son was sleeping upstairs... I don't want to continue this way."

There are other ways of living. And the best way to learn about them is from other recovering alcoholics.

Last edited by endlesspatience; 10-27-2011 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Typing error
Old 10-27-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

endlesspatience,
Yeah, going to try.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You don't have to be a devout Christian, or even a Christian, to go to AA. One of the most inspirational AAers I know is an atheist.

If you are going to do this, go in with no preconceptions of what AA is like and no expectations - this way you might be pleasantly surprised, but you won't be disappointed.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 4 days Munchkin!

For me, I was at a point that I will willing to try ANYTHING to get well and be sober.

Just keep an open mind
Old 10-27-2011, 11:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

So happy to hear that you worked out the logistics! It is interesting how things have a manner of working themselves out.

The following site was very helpful to me for my first AA meeting:
Your First AA Meeting<

The high points are:
-You don't have to introduce yourself as an alcoholic if you don't feel comfortable doing that.
-You don't have to share anything if you don't want to, just say "I'm Munchkin and I'm just here to listen"
-If you do feel comfortable enough, see if you can get phone numbers of people there.
-If you don't like it try a different meeting, there are good meetings and bad meetings.

and then what Dgillz said:
go in with no preconceptions of what AA is like and no expectations - this way you might be pleasantly surprised, but you won't be disappointed.
Let us know how it goes!
Old 10-27-2011, 11:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Munchkin,

I am so glad to hear that the logistics are working out for you and you can attend meetings, ditto to what the other posters said about having an open mind regarding the HP thing.
I wish you the best on your journey.

CaiHong