Notices

The Deal

Old 10-26-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Deal

Here it is, the Deal.
This is my first day on this forum, and I have found a lot of inspiration so far. So this is the deal. 10 years of drinking almost every day. I get excited when I think about the first drink of the day. I have to plan around it. I quit once for 8 days. It was horrible. I can get one day of not drinking every two weeks or so now. I don't drink like I did when I was 20 anymore. I do still have any where from 3-10 a day though, and I feel like I need them every day. I am 28 now, I started drinking at age 15, almost every day since then, but really almost every day since 18. It's old. It needs to stop. Ambition is lost. I have no reason for it. I have been very successful, no stress, beautiful wife. Great grandfather, grandfather, grandmother, and father are alcoholics, and I guess the apple doesn't fall far. After reading your stories I feel fortunate for the things I have. But I think about this every day and it has to stop. I've grown into it now, more responsible and I have a daily routine for hangovers. Never been to jail and the wife only hit me in the head with a frying pan once so far. I feel like if I quit now I'll still be ahead, because I know what happens from here. So here's to the first day, maybe tomorrow. Everybody who has been here, feel free to lay it on me.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome IrieOne

there was a time when I genuinely thought 3 days sobriety was beyond me - of course that wasn't and was never true, but I was scared and it seemed reasonable at the time.

Stopping is not likely to be pleasant, it's probably going to be uncomfortable and not much fun. But it is very possible .

You'll find a lot of support here- I'd encourage you to check with a Dr right off the bat too - detox can sometimes be problematic for some of us.

Good to have you with us
D
Old 10-26-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome irie.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I would have been happy if I could not drink for the first few hours after I woke up. Of course that was after I had been through the stage you're in now. I have a year, but it took in hospital detox, family and friends and my docs and counselors as well as AA and Here and some rehab to get from there to here.

Wish I had stopped where you now find yourself, instead of denial until later.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Itchy: I have read through some of your posts, and find your situation interesting. I used to look up to guys who could drink all day. Where I'm from, drinking is a way of life, and the real men (and women) seem to drink constantly. What a crock right? Tonight, Vodka, I never drink it, but my wife had it in the house, and that is all we had here. The plan was to take a night off, and I told myself I don't drink Vodka, so nothing to worry about. Well, tomorrow is a new day, and posting with you guys is my first step in ten years, so here's hoping. THanks for insight and support
Old 10-26-2011, 09:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome IrieOne!

I'm glad you're ready to get rid of the drinking. It finally dawned on me, too, that the future wasn't looking too great if I didn't stop. It's the best decision I've ever made and it will be for you, too.

Glad you decided to post - we're all behind you!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Here's some food for thought.
A guy at my meeting tonight was talking about having dinner with his daughter and she was drinking a glass of wine. She could see it bothered him but didn't quite get it.

He said "If I could drink like you, I'd do it all the time."

-Welcome
No one is likely to "lay it on you." If you really have a problem you've likely beat yourself up enough already.

If you'd like to learn how to not have to drink there is some good wisdom here - and AA too. SR helped me so much in my early days when I was alone and stirring in my own crap.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

Congratulations on your decision to get sober, you won't regret it. I also recommend checking with doctor prior to detox just to square everything away. I also come from a long line of alcoholics, "beating the odds" was a big motivation for me in the first few months of my recovery.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Best wishes for you. Hope you can make it this time~
Old 10-27-2011, 12:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IrieOne View Post
Never been to jail and the wife only hit me in the head with a frying pan once so far.
That made me laugh so much. Keep that sense of humour, it will help.

It's not easy, but you can do it. I was in much the same vicious circle as you.

Have a look at Rational Recovery which may help you make a choice between drinking and not drinking. it certainly helped me.

Good luck

Last edited by Dee74; 10-27-2011 at 12:28 AM. Reason: edited commercial link
Old 10-27-2011, 01:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

It will be the best thing you ever did !!
Old 10-27-2011, 02:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Foo Fighter.

Quitting alcohol is the best thing Ive ever done for myself, my only regret is not having done it sooner. I drank anywhere from 3 to who knows how many, depending on what day it was for 30 years or so, I never got into any big trouble, but that was just sheer luck, trouble is always right around the corner, it may take 40 years but it will find you eventually. I quit while I was ahead, I feel like I cheated the system somehow, but it was just dumb luck. So quit the alcohol, start enjoying life the way its supposed to be enjoyed, pick up a lottery ticket every now and then, and consider yourself lucky.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Titanium

good decision.

i know that AA isn't for everyone, but a sober support group (not just online) is pretty crucial. try to find someone in recovery that you can call, or sit down with.

we really can't do this alone.

bren
Old 10-27-2011, 03:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

when I first joined here i realized just how desperate i was.

in 2009 I only did NOT drink for 9 days...(not by choice, i was hospitalized)...i thought i could never make it to 10 days...it was beyond me....i felt better and better as time went on.

i quit while i was home from work with the flu...i was too sick anyway, and detoxing was physically uncomfortable...take the advice of others and if you start to feel too anxious, shakey, sick, go to the ER....you don't want to risk a seizure or worse.

we aren't allowed to give medical advice here, but your wanting to quit is your best motivator along with support....there is always someone here to talk to.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Re-Member

IrieOne
I am also retired military, and lived in Germany on assignment for 7 years in 1990! That is where the really heavy drinking nights and weekends started, not every one, but by 97 I was drinking every night and from 12 noon on weekends, and from morning till night when skiing or vacationing. S I also looked yup to those who could drink me under the table but didn't actually want to be one. I knew folks who carried a cooler in their truck or car everywhere they would go, and drive!

I was very high functioning until a few years ago when I retired for the fourth time (Yes, my choice, like I said very high functioning) Then it accelerated quickly. Back in 2003 for three months, and again in 2007 for two months, I had to quit because of taking blood thinners after knee surgery. NO withdrawals and my Doc was shocked as he thought I would have seizures. What I found interesting is when I was back to drinking I realized how much tolerance I had built up as I got actual staggering drunk the first night back and had to go really easy for a month or so.

See I drank to the point of a nice buzz and then slowed down. I'd get home from work and slam 4 and then relax. The scotch in hot coffee seemed to be like what I hear mainliners that shoot drugs describe. I was drinking like crazy just to be steady and ready.

Not a good way to be.

Welcome and if you want to do it, we'll help and if you do your part, it will be easier than you may suspect now to get right, and steady and ready 24/7!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Irie

I don't recall who posted this, but I like it...ALOT.

"Keep on looking for and identifying that addictive voice. It's a tricky one. It's almost, but not quite as smart as you, but the real kicker in your favour is that it is helpless and needs you to drink for it"
Old 10-27-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I quit for good almost two years ago and haven't felt this good in a long time. I only wish I'd quit sooner...
Old 10-27-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good luck with getting sober. Lots of good insights so I wil just add we are here to support you. There is no way I could stay sober without support.
CaiHong
Old 10-27-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Love the Caribbean. I go to various islands every year without fail. It seems like a hefty percentage of expats there were alcoholics before they got there, or halfway to becoming one when they got there, or became one after a few years. I just spent my annual week in the Bahamas in February after 6 months of sobriety. I had no problem staying sober - I stayed out of the bars! It was experiencing my beloved out island with no hangover for once.