Notices

Day One

Old 10-25-2011, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One

Hey all,
24 year old male here. First day clean. Drugs of choice are alcohol and marijuana. I can stop drinking using, I just can't STAY stopped. Also diagnosed Bipolar II. Need help/tips/strengthto help me stay sober. My girlfriened and friends drink on occasion, notl iek I do, but I am betginning to feel antagonized and even jealous of them. Anyone have any experience getting sober relatively young?
Old 10-25-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi

Welcome. No experience of getting sober young I'm afraid. I wasted most of my 20's and 30's wasted You're in the right place. Stick around xxx
Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tso1445 View Post
Hey all,
24 year old male here. First day clean. Drugs of choice are alcohol and marijuana. I can stop drinking using, I just can't STAY stopped. Also diagnosed Bipolar II. Need help/tips/strengthto help me stay sober. My girlfriened and friends drink on occasion, notl iek I do, but I am betginning to feel antagonized and even jealous of them. Anyone have any experience getting sober relatively young?
Hello and Congratulations on Day one. Have you tried going to AA or using another program that will help you?

The one thing that I know for myself... I could not be around anyone who was drinking and drugging while I am trying to get sober. So my Tip or help I guess would be to ask your girlfriend and friends to support you either by not drinking and smoking around you..

Good luck, and keep coming back!!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome & congrats !

I have over 4 years clean and sober and still have days when I get jealous of people who can drink "normally"! It stinks, but what always helps me, is I remind myself what happens when I drink, that I'm not like so and so who can go to bed and wake up and go on with their normal life. Honesty is always key.

Staying stopped is definitely hard, no joke about that. But it's possible. I spent about three years in and out of the rooms, getting clean for some time and relapsing, before I got the time I have now. Do you have any type of support group? I went to NA and AA and found great help there, I became involved (instead of being just another butt on a chair). Maybe a therapist since you have bipolar as well? I'm a firm believer in a support group, whatever kind you're most comfortable with.

You can do it though! Just don't give up, and don't pick up that first one!

Oh, and I got clean and sober at the age of 18. And just for reference I have VERY few friends my age, because most 22 year olds are hanging out at the bars. Only one of my friends that are my age is not in recovery, and the only reason I've been able to keep her as a friend is because she understands what it means for me to have 1 drink or take 1 hit, and she's totally supportive. I gave up most of my friends in the begining, which was okay, because I think that those old friends had enough of me & my antics by that point anyway. Haha
Old 10-25-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome tso,

was my first day yesterday, i'm 25, the guys and gals here are awesome and very helpful,

The only advice I can give is that you CAN stay stopped, you just have not in the past, much the same as most of us I would think. Try to keep yourself occupied, sit and think about when and why you drink and try not to do those things (not always as easy as it sounds).

I recommend you try one or more of the many support groups, they may not be for you, but then again they just might be SR is working for me

Good Luck

AoS
Old 10-25-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Tso... I'm 23 and I took up binge drinking in college. I'm still struggling with quitting for good - went from multiple times per week to one every couple months. Wanting to stop completely but it's hard when you're young and your friends all drink.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Welcome tso. I think it's awesome that you're making this decision at your age. I wasted all of my twenties by living inside of a bottle and I envy you for the years you can have ahead of you. I can also understand the jealousy you feel towards the "normals". One of the hardest things I've had to deal with is learning that I can't control what other people do and that, no matter what, I can't pick up my next drink because of my environment. AA taught me that and I urge you to consider finding that kind of support. You CAN do this. Keep coming back.

--Fenris.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by tso1445 View Post
Anyone have any experience getting sober relatively young?
In hindsight, I wish I knew then (at 24) what I know now. I showed every indication of having a drinking problem at 18! Quit at 54. Don't waste the years I did.

Lot of young people come to SR with alcohol problems. Some younger than you. I even think there's a thread for young people. The challenge seems to be all your peers that drink and a culture that promotes alcohol as the only thing to do.

If you only take one thing from this post of mine, take this: Alcoholism is progressive. Whatever problems you have now will get worse. Quitting will be that much more difficult.

Welcome.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are way ahead of where I was at your age! Good for you for looking into what is best for YOU!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi TSO

I think you need to be prepared to make whatever changes you need to in your life to stay sober - however widespread those changes might be.

I also think support is important, no matter how old you are - you'll find a lot of support here, but there's a lot of other help available too:

Here's a link to some of the main recovery players - you may see something that clicks with you:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Welcome to SR
D
Old 10-25-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome tso!

Your life will be so much better if you decide to stay sober. It really does get easier the more time we have.

When I see other people drinking, I imagine a skull and crossbones on the label....... Alcohol is extremely toxic, especially for those of us can't have "just one or two."

Glad you're here!