Notices

I want to share the joy I have

Old 01-12-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to share the joy I have

Hi everyone...

I have recently had two major neck surgeries which have been really tough to deal with. The last surgery lasted 9 hours and I came out with 1 plate, 2 rods and 15 screws. The recovery is very long. My Dr doesn't want me to go back to work until June!

While it has been difficult I have learned so much through this experience. This is a letter I wrote to my friends and family and I want to share it with all of you.

Hi Friends and Family,

I want to share what I am thinking and feeling today.

While this has been a trying time for me physically I have learned so much about myself. I am so grateful that God has given me this opportunity to learn more about myself. I have learned that I can truly trust myself and my body to let me know when something is wrong. For so many years I was dishonest with myself and others about pain so I could get pain medicine. When this pain came back I was not sure if it was real or made up. I kept questioning myself. While I did not want something more to be wrong I was relieved that I was NOT making it up.

I have found that I love my clean and sober life. I love my friends that I have made in sobriety. I love and enjoy my family. I love working, making money and giving back instead of just taking. I love being useful.

I can't begin to express how much gratitude I have for learning these things. I finally can trust myself. I didn't know if that would ever happen. God is so good...ALL the time.

While the pain and surgery have been difficult I would not change one thing. The self awareness I have learned is worth every bit of pain. Good truly can come from a bad situation.

I have also learned to rely on my friends and family. To ask for what I need. I have learned to let others help me. What a blessing!

I am honestly happy for the trials I've had for they have taught me so much. I felt like I needed to share this with each of you as you have positively influenced my life.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That is lovely.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

So happy for you! Way to turn a scary, challenging time into something positive. Who knew we could ever do that? Thank you for telling us about this experience - it'll make me think twice about things in my own life.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

almost 10 months post op and still doing well. But I never want to repeat this last year! Still having neck pain, still having to take Ultram. Grateful to be able to take my meds as prescribed. God is good all the time.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I'm so happy for you Tanya and glad you were able to take this and turn it into something positive!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

That is wonderful, thanks for sharing!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad to hear from you again Tanya - hope the neck gets even better soon

D
Old 10-25-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's wonderful!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!
Old 10-25-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good on you Tanya

Thanks for sharing. Love your avatar.

You have certainly put my sore neck into perspective for me.

All the best
CaiHong