Notices

Hi Friends

Old 10-24-2011, 09:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Friends

Hey Guys. Ill keep it short. As a long time reader and first time poster this place has given me hope. To keep it short, im 25 and was drinking about 2.5 bottles of wine a night for the last 3 year....never missed a night. I never did anything stupid but did land in the hospital. Sports are a huge trigger. I was high functioning (alcoholic) for so long but the anxiety finally nailed me. Ive had bouts for a few days (nights) with out the bottle but I know its a problem. Got the doc involved but still fighting with the lying, which I told him I might do. Starting again tomorrow for sobriety but god bless to all of you, whether its a sober hour or a sober 50 years.

God bless all of you. In the words of people from my world "its a bad load" but regardless, one day at a time. Again, you all give me hope. "Fight the good fight" and thank you all on SR for inspiring me.

Best to all,

Tony

(First day "fighting the fight", 10/25/11)
Old 10-24-2011, 09:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I gave up drinking for good almost two years ago and haven't felt this good in a long time. I'm glad you're getting sober. It can only get better. Alcohol ruins everything. Glad you're joining our sober family.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome NYRFAN - good for you for admitting your problem and reaching out for support.... it takes some courage to do that.

Good luck on day 1..... I spent most of my first day hanging around the forum - it helped so much to know I wasn't alone.

We know what it's like. You can do this (one day at a time)!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

NYR as in Rangers fan?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks least! Its amazing to me that there is a place like this with people that are going through the same stuff. SR seems to be a great place for everyone dealing with these issues. Again, best to you and everyone else here.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
NYR as in Rangers fan?
Oh no Ghostly...but yes as in NY Rangers

Im actually a stl cardinals fan who played tonight....was pretty down because I tend rationalize my drinking in the way of... "this will be the last hoorah". Tonight is a perfect example of what can feed my thinking, and problem..

again sports are a trigger... admittedly amongst others
Old 10-24-2011, 09:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Tony

I had a lot of last hurrahs - eventually tho I realised that I wasn't really doing myself any good at all...finally I got it through my thick skull that I was poisoning myself - and a drinker like me always would....

The folks here really helped me and supported me in sorting myself out and working out what was best for me - I know you'll find the same

D
Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I meant as in New York Rangers. Hockey. You are a hockey fan then? Blackhawks for me.

As far as baseball, I'm in Wisconsin so you won't get sympathy from me for the Cardinals.

I know what you mean though. We do tend to try to find excuses to drink / use. Get through day one, then another and so on. Get a support system. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks again to SR and everyone on here. Ready to push through day one tomorrow.

Best to all!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
I meant as in New York Rangers. Hockey. You are a hockey fan then? Blackhawks for me.

As far as baseball, I'm in Wisconsin so you won't get sympathy from me for the Cardinals.

I know what you mean though. We do tend to try to find excuses to drink / use. Get through day one, then another and so on. Get a support system. Good luck.
Thanks ghostly. And I wouldn't expect any sympathy on the baseball front I appreciate that, "get through day one". I look forward to talking more with everyone here

Best to all
Old 10-24-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard!!

Sober mojo..
Old 10-24-2011, 10:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee....the last hurrah thing is getting old (mostly because im making excuses)
Old 10-24-2011, 10:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Also, it feels selfish not to ask how everyone else is doing? I wish everyone the best; everyone here is so supportive and seem amazing. God bless.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome NYRFAN

Last hurrah is not how I recall the last 10 end of binges , more like yet another messy , ugly nightmare....but that's me.

Day 17 for me and it does get a lot better in not a lot of time. If you have been drinking a lot or consistently for many days you probably want to be very honest with your Dr when you stop . There are issues when withdrawing from alcohol that can be dangerous and they do need honesty to do any kind of diagnostic. Hopefully your Dr is non judgmental and supportive of you addressing the alcohol problem.

I am cheering for you but alas I am a Canucks fan so can't cheer for the Rangers :-)

Take care
Old 10-25-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome x
Old 10-25-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Welcome to SR, NYR. I can definitely relate to sports being a trigger. College football season hasn't exactly been easy, but it helps when your team's killing the competition. Roll Tide!

--Fenris.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks guys and glad to hear that even though some might not be the fans of the same teams as me, you are still sports fans! Talked to the doc today and we have a plan in place. Im ready to go. Wishing everyone all the best and thanks again for reading!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi, Tony. Welcome aboard.

I'm going great—thanks for asking. I am not a huge sports fan, but I can relate. For me it was music. Drinking and music went together like peanut butter and jelly. I actually wondered if I would still be able to enjoy music without alcohol. Well, it took time to mentally separate the two, but now I enjoy music more than ever. My albums, concerts, at home, out on the town—it's all good.

You may have to avoid some things for a while, but in the end the only thing you're getting rid of is alcohol and all the baggage that comes with it. That's no sacrifice, believe me. This is about gaining back the best things in life, not giving them up. Congrats on taking some really important steps.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for that Ready! Its amazing you mention music because I can relate to that too. I use to love it (big dylan fan) but drinking (concerts in particular) made it more "enjoyable". I will be fighting to get back enjoying all those things without drinking being involved!

Also, this has not been my first attempt at quitting. Talking to the Dr about the withdrawal and setting a plan was huge for me!

Best to all, this sucks but one day at a time!