Notices

AA Meetings

Old 10-24-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA Meetings

I go to therapy, excersise and see a nutritionist for my alcoholisim.

Yesterday however, I was having an extremely bad day, so I decided to go to an AA meeting. I have tried AA in the past, but for all the wrong reasons.

75% of the people were between the age of 16 to 22. All DUI's and mandatory that they be there. One even asked if I would sign off on his card so he could leave early. The other man I was sitting next to, was dressed and talked liked Elvis.

I ended up leaving early because it was not IMO what a meeting should be. I can't help but laugh about the guy dressed as Elvis, but kind of frustrated that I went there for help, and ended up more agitated then when I had originally left to go in the first place.

Anyway. I'm still 11 days sober, with or without Elvis, and I'm happy about that.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on Day 11! I have been to badAA meetings before. The advice I have heard is to try different types of meetings. I have found that to be very good advice.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm definitely not giving up on them, just not going back to that one.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep going until you find ones that you like. You'll also meet people who can fill you in on meetings that fit your style. I bet you've had a bad experience or two drinking and kept drinking, right? So why don't you give some other meetings a shot if you are having trouble staying sober.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi. I am not currently in AA but am thinking about returning. When I did go, I was advised to try a bunch of different meetings to get a feel for each of them and see which one ultimately fit me. I had some bad meetings similar to what you described (no Elvis though!) and some great meetings. The most valuable thing to me was meeting kind-hearted women who wanted to help me and support me. I met a lot of these great people among the few meetings I attended- and two stood out to me as people I wouled like to be friends with and who initiated helping me a lot. One I met at one of the bad/weird meetings (she was the only other woman there and I could relate to her so much) and one I met a better meeting. And the one women's meeting I went to seemed to have a lot of potential, but I had decided to give up on AA/not drinking, and so never realized all that it had to offer.

I recommend you trying different meetings because there are definitely some good ones and some bad ones, and I think you will eventually find one that fits you the best. Good luck and stay strong.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Pretty sure I hate 70% of the people at AA but....... I am not there for them. AA can be and is a dating place,a self help free therapy place, when it gets to much for me and I am feeling like yelling SHUT THE *** UP, I DONT CARE ABOUT YOU FRIGGIN HAIR DRYER NOT WORKING. I just leave
BB
Old 10-24-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

BB...you're my favorite person right now. That's how every meeting I've been to has been like, (minus the Elvis, that was a new one for me.)
Old 10-24-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I found many people at AA to be very empathetic to me and my situation and issues. They have been or are where I am, they understand and want to help me, even if that is just listening to me vent. Therefore I tried to show them the same amount of empathy and respect. If they were going on about something that bored or annoyed me, I still tried hard to see their humanity and struggle, and relate to them. That helped me, and I would suggest it for you. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm not discounting meetings. I have gone to quite a few over the past 10 years. Sometimes they help, sometimes they pi** me off.
I am doing everything in my power to make sure I stay sober. Everyone has to do what works for them, and at this point, I am doing what's best for me.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Might be coincidence, but I've never attended a meeting overrun with rif-raf that met in a church.

Discern, discern, discern.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bozboz View Post
I'm not discounting meetings. I have gone to quite a few over the past 10 years. Sometimes they help, sometimes they pi** me off.
I am doing everything in my power to make sure I stay sober. Everyone has to do what works for them, and at this point, I am doing what's best for me.
Good. :-) I apologize because I thought you were looking for advice but I guess you were just venting, and that's cool too.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Might be coincidence, but I've never attended a meeting overrun with rif-raf that met in a church.

Discern, discern, discern.
The worst meeting I attended was in a church basement. The others were in office buildings, one on a college campus (which barely anyone attended). I do agree with the advice to discern but I don't think the location can be very telling. I think you have to actually go sit and see how serious the people are and what they have to say.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Try big book meetings & different times of the day. I have a noon meeting I try to avoid, but even that meeting changes.

Tell that guy to sign his own slip. Last slips I signed with "I.B. Sober"
I'm not sitting in a courtroom to say, "Yes, I signed that slip."

Keep trying, you'll find your meetings. After a while, if I find one not agreeable, I attempt to make it better.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I been to many AA meeting. When I got my first DUI, I was force to go there. Didn't relate with anyone. I went back a few weeks ago because I was at one of my lowest point with my drinking. I got my white chip and just could not get threw the pray and holding hand thing. Didn't go back. But now I few good and not jumping the gun with anything no more. As in, hell to the world. I'm going to drink. Feel good to not do that and keep it easy. It will pass and it always do. No want to drink today or yesterday. Wish I could drink but does not get to me anymore.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I wouldn't be happy either with a meeting full of people who are only there because they were told to be there by the court.

But your story did make me laugh.

I am going to a new meeting on Wednesday, I am sort of nervous about it and I already have preconceived ideas about the people who will attend.

I am also working on my defense mechanisms against any annoyances or slights.

Thinking if I can use their ********** to recharge my laptop and whether or not I should bring my own teabag.

I just hope I make it there and not think of an excuse not to go. I have lots of valid ones.

Apart from the negative thinking I have this secret hope of meeting the sponsor of my dreams who will be wise and all knowing and guide me effortlessly through the steps.
Who will confirm that there really isn't much wrong with me, just need a bit of tweaking here and there. After I leave the meeting she will be left wondering how such a great person ended up in AA.

CaiHong
Old 10-24-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't understand why the word ********** was *********** presented like this.
In the states do they say power socket?
Old 10-24-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Most places have tons of different AA meetings with people of all ages their for all different reasons.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I feel ya on that. I always get nervous going to a meeting. Last night I bought an energy drink, brought a water and said screw it. What's the worst that can happen? A bunch of alcoholics call me an alcoholic? The court ordered people did annoy me. Elvis just freaked me out, but this is L.A. It comes with the territory.
This is why I prefer my therapist, but again, different things work for different people, and meetings are great when absolutely needed.

Lol, I call it an outlet, not sure why I can't see what you called it.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

hey bozboz - congrats on day 11! i had a horrible aa meeting on sat night and I ended up leaving too! all 70 year olds arguing with each other - really annoying because I needed help too.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by copperfield View Post
hey bozboz - congrats on day 11! i had a horrible aa meeting on sat night and I ended up leaving too! all 70 year olds arguing with each other - really annoying because I needed help too.
Thanks copperfield.

AA meetings are like a box of chocolates...ya never know what you're gonna get. Doesn't mean that I won't keep trying a new chocolate.