Notices

Problems with focusing, concentrating, procrastination...

Old 10-25-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Pigtails - yes that was me with the free expensive booze gig - I made it through it! I will definitely have to keep up with your posts - yes it is so nice to find people here that I completely relate too! Take care of yourself and have a great day today!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by copperfield View Post
Hey Pigtails - yes that was me with the free expensive booze gig - I made it through it! I will definitely have to keep up with your posts - yes it is so nice to find people here that I completely relate too! Take care of yourself and have a great day today!!!
I admire your strength. You have a great day too!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Pigtails -
Thank you for starting this thread. I can totally relate to what you're saying. Things also came easily to me too, so when I actually have to put forth effort (unless it's something I'm really into), I hate it. I know that sounds so awful, but it's the truth. I also procrastinate a lot, even on very simple things. It's just the thought of starting something that makes me roll my eyes.

I'm on day 9, and what occurred to me is that my drinking/being sick from drinking just exacerbated the issue.I was in such a destructive cycle, that doing the smallest thing took the biggest effort. It was like the walls were closing in on me, and I couldn't even see it happening. I was literally amazed today, when I woke up, and thought, hmmm...I guess I'll take a shower now. This is versus feeling too sick/weak/depressed to even think about it until much later in the day, and maybe not even doing it at all. This small thing was like a total 360 for me.

I also have suffered from depression for years, and I can only tell you from what I've experienced, that the meds I take for it are absolutely necessary for me. I used to think maybe I didn't need it (after I started feeling good after taking it), and I would stop, only to have my husband bust me on it because he could see changes in me before I even felt them as the meds had a long half life.

I went back and forth like this for quite a while some years ago, and finally, I was like, well, you know what? I guess I need to take my medicine! Certainly not everyone is in this same place, but my point I guess is that I agree that maybe going to a good psychiatrist would be helpful in assessing what's going on with you. The conclusion that I finally came to is that I just didn't want to suffer anymore.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by humblestudent View Post
Pigtails -
Thank you for starting this thread. I can totally relate to what you're saying. Things also came easily to me too, so when I actually have to put forth effort (unless it's something I'm really into), I hate it. I know that sounds so awful, but it's the truth. I also procrastinate a lot, even on very simple things. It's just the thought of starting something that makes me roll my eyes.

I'm on day 9, and what occurred to me is that my drinking/being sick from drinking just exacerbated the issue.I was in such a destructive cycle, that doing the smallest thing took the biggest effort. It was like the walls were closing in on me, and I couldn't even see it happening. I was literally amazed today, when I woke up, and thought, hmmm...I guess I'll take a shower now. This is versus feeling too sick/weak/depressed to even think about it until much later in the day, and maybe not even doing it at all. This small thing was like a total 360 for me.

I also have suffered from depression for years, and I can only tell you from what I've experienced, that the meds I take for it are absolutely necessary for me. I used to think maybe I didn't need it (after I started feeling good after taking it), and I would stop, only to have my husband bust me on it because he could see changes in me before I even felt them as the meds had a long half life.

I went back and forth like this for quite a while some years ago, and finally, I was like, well, you know what? I guess I need to take my medicine! Certainly not everyone is in this same place, but my point I guess is that I agree that maybe going to a good psychiatrist would be helpful in assessing what's going on with you. The conclusion that I finally came to is that I just didn't want to suffer anymore.
Thank you, this is helpful to me.

I feel a lot better mentally, physically and emotionally since I stopped drinking. (At first I felt quite depressed, but then I came here and I think the encouragement, and coming out of withdrawals, pushed me over the edge and I've been quite fine since about Day 2 or 3... I'm at Day 12 now and just keep feeling better). But I still have the same issues at work. I am trying to stay positive and realize I ran 60 miles last month and am on track with my race training... running/working out consistently for the first time in years is huge. Plus not drinking. So now my next goals are focusing/being productive at work (which is complicated by the fact that I really, really dislike working there and have a different ideal of what my career should look like, that I'm too scared to go for at the moment), writing more, and cleaning my apartment (although it's cleaner, and consistently clean, more than I've kept any place I've lived clean for years and years. ) I think I will give it some time and if I can't accomplish my goals gradually, I will look into meds/psychiatry. Maybe it's something I need too.

Thank you again for all your help.