Notices

dealing with the guilt and anxiety

Old 10-24-2011, 09:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks to all who replied to my posts! I am very grateful for horsekisses, she made quite a difference in how my day progressed today! Along with all the wonderful people here on SR! The meeting was good. Different than what I had pictured in my mind. I will definitley be back, keeping one foot in front of the other! Once again Thank you all! Cheryl if you need to talk anytime day or night please, please call me!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me at least a year after getting sober for good until I could feel less guilty about what I'd put my kids thru for the two years I was drinking so much. But after a while it faded to a dull ache. I still feel it, the righteous guilt that keeps me from doing it again, but it's like a distant memory now and not the painful sore I used to keep picking at so it couldn't heal.

Now I keep those bad memories as a warning to me of where I came from and how easily I could go back there if I'm not careful and grateful for my sobriety.

Just do what you have to do to make your life right again and try not to beat yourself up too much. A little guilt is a reminder, a lot can do damage. One foot in front of the other is how you'll get there. :ghug3

I used to 'lean on' my daughter too, until I realized it wasn't her job to hold me up...