Notices

Day 1 ~ today is my day to begin

Old 10-23-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 ~ today is my day to begin

Hello everyone. I just found this site this evening and am so happy. My story is probably not unfamiliar. I've been drinking on a daily basis for close to ten years, however have been drinking since I was 15. The first time I ever had a drink I blacked out. Most nights I don't remember going to bed. I am a highly functioning alcoholic. (ouch, thats the first time I've admitted it). My husband does not think that I am alcoholic. He thinks it's a mind over matter issue. I don't see it that way. I crave alcohol on most days. I tried switching from wine to vodka. That didn't work. Well, today I felt like crap all day from drinking last night. I have decided that it's high time something changed. I'm giving myself 30 days. My motivating factors are that I want to have a clear head. I want to get healthier physically and mentally. I want better for myself. I know that there is a huge life out there aside from booze. I lost my father last month. He lived by the sword, so to speak. I grew up with him drinking every friday night. Getting drunk. He was a wonderful man, but I don't think he ever stopped drinking. I didn't think he had a problem because he didn't drink all the time. But when he did, most times he got hammered. (kind of like me). I am having problems getting organized and finishing things that I start. So, it's time to stop the insanity that I feel. I'm so glad I found this site, and I'm going to try and come here often. Thanks for listening. Danica
Old 10-23-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I've been coming here for support and ideas for over three years. And I'm happy to say I'm coming up on two years sober. If I can do it, anyone can.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Welcome, Danica. Nice to have you here. Look around, there's lots of good information and powerful sharings here. You might also want to check out Alcoholics Anonymous : .

Long-term sobriety is possible, and it feels pretty good. Recovery is a journey, not a destination. Good luck on your trip.

My sobriety date is Nov. 27, 1988.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Danica!!!
Old 10-23-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Danica! I also had a problem with organization and also forgetting things easily, but that's has drastically improved since quitting alcohol. There are nothing but positive results when you quit drinking and see what life has to really offer when you have a sober mind.

Looking forward to seeing your posts.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Danica

D
Old 10-23-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Danica,

Sober nearly 5 months now and my thinking is so much clearer and organized. Good for you for seeing the problem early on. It's interesting the different yardsticks people use to measure alcoholism, my yardstick had multiple readings.

All the best in recovery
CaiHong
Old 10-23-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Danica! This is a wonderful place, with people who really care and understand. I felt so alone until I found SR. No one in my life got what I was going through.

You may have heard the saying, "alcoholism is a progressive disease". I went from getting high on a can of beer to drinking all day, every day. No amount was enough. I developed a dependency on it - even though in the beginning, I was able to limit my drinking to weekends. Over the years, alcohol got me in it's grips. I had to admit it wasn't a matter of willpower - I had no control once I took that first drink.

You won't ever have to go through the terrible times many of us have. It's great that you see what needs to happen. I know you can do this, and have the life you want. Congratulations on your decision.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thank you all so much. this is so inspiring. I'm so nervous and wonder what's in store for me. I know I can do this though. I've tried and failed too many times. I'm going to bed sober tonight. I am going to feel good tomorrow! Thank you again.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Danica and welcome to the forum!

It's a bit scary at first to quit drinking, but once you get used to hangover-free mornings and feeling strong in yourself again, you'll see all that a couple hours of "relief" just isn't worth being controlled by alcohol.

Take it one day at a time and remember it's a process - it really will get better and better.....
Old 10-24-2011, 01:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Danica! I switched from Vodka to Wine...just the opposite of you. I thought I could control my drinking better. Little did I realize it didn't matter what I drank, I still got drunk, passed out, blacked out, and made a complete mess of my life. It was a never ending cycle for me. I couldn't concentrate long enough to read the newspaper.

I'm happy you decided to give sobriety a go. Sounds like you might need some form of support. Have you thought of counseling, AA, or maybe Smart Recovery? Whatever you choose I wish you the very best in your journey. Please know we understand and have a great Recovery Site here at SR. You'll find plenty of support.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 10-24-2011, 02:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Foo Fighter.

I had my first drink when I was 15 and blacked out, Im a highly functioning alcoholic.

Its like every post I read was written by me, so familiar. Welcome Danica, welcome to the best days of your life and the best decision you will ever make, the best part is every day gets easier and better. post often.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome
Old 10-24-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Danica, you have made a wonderful decision.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Danica, feel free to join us Octobers in the October support thread. We are all people who have decided that October, 2011 is the month we are leaving our alcohol addiction and embracing a new healthy life that we all deserve.

It's a great group! And you're still eligible!

Either way, congratulations on your decision to join SR. You are in the right place!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi, Danica - welcome! I am like Opivotal...I drank vodka for years and years, and then switched to beer (which I hated so much I had to practically choke it down - but choke it down I did...). At first, it was so different from vodka, I couldn't imagine how people got hammered on it. But pretty soon, I found my answer. I got hammered, and blacked out 9 times out of 10 while drinking it. Point is - I'd find a way to get drunk as a skunk on wine coolers if it was the only available option. I didn't used to believe that - but I do now.

I'm very sorry that you lost your dad.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Danica. You've come to a really good place!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

I've never met an alcoholic who wasn't highly functioning.

Welcome to SR!