Notices

Second day of no alcohol.....

Old 10-23-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Second day of no alcohol.....

I'm new here and to anyother sites such as this, But i am a alcoholic. I have been drinking daily for about 12 years now. It has taken a toll on me and my family and i am going to try and put the breaks on it controling my life. I am tired of seeing how people look at me and how i look at myself. My kids have seen me stuble and fall and my wife has cought me sneaking to take a drink, This is not who i truley am. I cant remeber what sober is and i know its going to be hard but i am truily going to give it my all and hope i am strong anough to quit on my own with my wifes help.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm on day 3 of my 2nd attempt at sobriety. Good luck and come here often. The people here are full of knowledge.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

You are strong enough to do this, people have been laying off the booze for millennia. You won't succeed if you don't think you can. Of course you can, there is nothing special at all about your alcohol use. Just believe that you can, and ditch the booze for a week. With a few days sober, your perception of yourself will begin to change, along with your self esteem.

Make a commitment, make a plan for your future use of alcohol (a very basic plan will do: yes, or no more), and do this thing.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on your decision to stop, it is the best gift you can give yourself and those who love you. Please use this site as there are alot of wise people here who want to help you.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Phillip and this is a great site for support. You can do this and there is help as taking this on all alone is usually too much for most people.

I relate to your situation and the truth is , we are just people who have a problem and there are ways to get help and recover from that problem. Its good you have a supportive partner , than can help , but I find that talking with people suffering the same problem helps me were my wife cannot as she is not an alcoholic. Here and at AA or other programs and there are more than a few , all sorts of people make me feel far less alone in trying to get life back on track. What I thought was unique to me was hardly unique at all.

The shivering , afraid lunatic I become when I drink is not the person I can be inside and I made a plan to get my life free of living as that lunatic. You do need a plan , nothing big and all figured out , just an idea of how to get support and begin life without alcohol.

You can do this , many have and the alternatives are not very appealing.

Stay with us
Old 10-23-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR
Old 10-23-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! Keep reading and posting....you will find that a lot of us are turning our lives around. Most of us have felt the same way you do - and if we (I) can do it, any one can. You are not alone and we will help you.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, phillip. Congratulations on taking a step toward sobriety.

You are right, it is not easy in the beginning, but it can and does get easier for many of us. And life becomes fuller without the alcohol.

Most of us find that we cannot do it on our own. I would encourage you to read as much as you can here and other places and determine a plan for your sobriety and recovery. There are many options out there, you can find one that fits for you!
Old 10-23-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Phillip

D
Old 10-23-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I quit for good (finally) almost two years ago and haven't regretted a minute of it. Only wish I'd quit sooner.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, you made the most difficult step in my opinion, which is admitting that you have a problem and that you need to stop. I just admitted this to myself on the 20th and I've decided to quit cold-turkey. I have a plan and a support system in place (including SR) and I know I'll be able to do it. You just have to make that decision and stick with it no matter what - no excuses.

I've been reading a lot on here and there are some very helpful, thoughtful, and caring people on this board. Stick around and feel the love waiting to be poured out to you. If nothing else you will realize that you are not alone and that there are so many people just like you that are out there at various stages of their recovery. It can and has been done by many who have gone before and you can do it too. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! It's good to hear your taking a step forward in wanting to be sober once again. It'll be challenging seeing your a daily drinker for so long. But as long as you have patience and can fully admit your defeat to alcohol then you'll recover soon enough I was a heavy binge drinker myself and only 26 years old. I have been attempting to be sober for 3 years now but never beat myself down for it. This time around I have been 2 months sober so far and plan on keeping it that way. Like you, so many things happened that I would never do sober or as myself. Skipping work to drink more, Drinking when I was sick as heck but drank more anyway only to be more sick etc etc. I am now in a safe haven which I call home of my parents place. As long as you have faith you can do it! Welcome and keep on posting and visit the chat room for real time conversations and help! I did and it's amazing so far! Love this site! Good Luck!
Old 10-23-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-23-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Like you I'm on way to recovery and on my first night and like you I have to do it for my children and my partner... Aren't it scary good luck btw
Old 10-23-2011, 04:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Phillip.

It's not an easy road, but it is worthwhile. Are you doing this yourself? Have you thought about medically monitored detox? If you have been drinking that long and go cold turkey it could kill you. I would highly recommend seeing a doctor, or better yet, seeking in patient rehab so you can get the tools to become and stay sober. Good intentions will not maintain sobriety. It takes determination, willpower and help.

Good luck
Old 10-23-2011, 09:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Phillip and congratulations on deciding to take your life back. In the end I was a daily drinker, too, and it got increasingly harder to hold it together.

With the help of this forum, I got sober and can now see how much I was hurting myself and others around me. I promise you, it gets better......and it's worth it!!!