Notices

optimistic concern

Old 10-22-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

optimistic concern

Today is day 18 for me, after a summer of relapses. I feel good today. I work at an astronomical observatory, and I have been working at night of the telescope for several nights until yesterday. It seems easy to stay sober these days when I am working. Last night I gave a tour to some very nice VIP sorts, and they gave me a bottle of wine in thanks. Both then and now I felt sure I could handle this. I know I can get this bottle out of my house and into the hands of someone else who can enjoy it in a healthy way. I would drink it in a sitting and then wonder heading to town for beer. Today represents what I fear is my first real test. I have to travel to two cities for meetings and gatherings with good and interesting people. These people will, however, be in a party mood, especially tonight. I am uncomfortable in crowd in any circumstances (there is a reason I live alone on a mountain with cats and a duck!). I have no real plan other than to read here, declare my intentions to stay sober at all costs, and remind myself as many times as I can today about the personal mission I've set out on. I hope you all have a good day. I hope we can all successfully navigate through our lives of sobriety today.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

You have a duck? I've never known anyone that has a duck.

It sounds like your commitment is strong, just follow through. Regift the bottle as soon as you can (or pick a recipient and put a bow on it or something), and practice your plan at these gatherings. Picture yourself with a soda in your hand, and having a great time, even if it is just watching, listening and smiling. You have a good reason to smile, don't you? Picture yourself saying, 'Not right now, thanks,' or 'Not tonight, thanks,' or something similar. And smiling, because you know that this is the right thing to do.

You have the confidence that comes from your commitment that even though this will be a test, it will be an easy one. Think how you will feel on the way home to your duck, knowing that you passed with flying colours.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Put the bottle in a paper bag, put that in a plastic bag, and break it. Just say bye!
Old 10-22-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'd be getting that bottle out of my hands either by giving it away or pouring it down the drain.

I'd prepare for those meetings with a nice juice or soda water and remember you can always excuse yourself at the right time if it becomes too much. Sir Issac Newton never drank supposedly and seems he inspired a few physicists along the way ! So you're in good company with his spirit.

Here is a whole list of folks who do not drink and lots of pretty good names in there and some well not my cup of coffee

List of teetotalers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-22-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like you have a great job...and a great house

I agree with the advice here - just stay focused Chainsaw - you know whats right for you...and you know where to come to for help. You can do this

And regift that bottle as a priority
Old 10-22-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YVRguy View Post

Here is a whole list of folks who do not drink and lots of pretty good names in there and some well not my cup of coffee

List of teetotalers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lol, Adolf Hitler! He uses a whole lot of amphetamines, though, so I don't think he counts as a sober dude. Whew.

Chainsaw, I think voicing your intentions as a good strategy. I've found some help just by saying "I don't drink" to myself whenever I'm tempted. Maybe you can give the bottle of wine to the people you see today at the meeting.

What a cool job you have, btw.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well Teetotal means they don't use alcohol and wow , it isn't always the greatest people who chose not too....Robert Mugabe is another ... I guess he is just drunk on power and corruption.....as was Hitler and well whether they abuse other substances who knows , both are/were pretty scary people....just think if they did drink and managed to get to power....wow
Old 10-22-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

If anyone brings wine to my house, I give it to them to take when they leave.

I hope you can stay focused and strong Chainsaw!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I want to know more about the duck.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

lol I used to own a duck, I named it Mike, but it turned out to be a female. Best wishes, Chainsaw.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
I want to know more about the duck.

This made me LOL enough to spook the cat sitting on my lap!

Chainsaw, I'm envious of the home life and job you describe! "Stay the course"+"Play the tape all the way through" = great suggestions. CONGRATS on day 18!!!!

I hope you easilly survive the "party mood" you're expecting tonight. And if it turned out to be rough - be sure to come back to your thread here and gripe about it. And do tell us more about the duck

Be well!
ZenJen
Old 10-23-2011, 05:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

made it

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and advice. I did indeed give the bottle of wine to some friends who live near me. The busy day of meetings went alright also. The last event of the evening was a benefit concert for a local radio station that I work with. Lot's of standing around and schmoozing with drinks in your hand. Ginger ale worked fine for me. I think by visualizing my actions ahead of time, I'm more prepared to do what I have to do to stay sober. Many people here at SR have suggested this, and it does seem to work well for me. I think I just get bored or irritated sometimes and drink as a recourse. By staying focused ahead of time, I can better avoid that weak moment that seems to cause everything to fall apart in a few brief moments.

Yes, I have a duck. I had two ducks, Frida and Diego, for 8 years. Last April we had very high winds (that fed big fires!) and they blew my garage door open in the night. A raccoon got in and killed Frida. I was devastated, and of course I drank for a week. Even something so intensely painful and important to me like that I could turn into an excuse to drink. Anyway, Diego (the female actually) and I are pushing on through life along with the cats. I keep busy with house stuff (cleaning, woodworking, garden...) and my research. Trying to stay very regular in my behavior seems to help in tempering my urges to drink. So, I know the world is crazy and needs attention from us all, but I try to read or listen about it as little as possible (got rid of television 10 years ago). Just staying regular with the day to day stuff seems to be the way to go. Taking care of my animal friends really helps in this regard.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Welcome Chainsaw! Hope you stick around. I am enjoying hearing about your life.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome, totally cool that you have a duck

Glad you got through a challenging time, it's those times that really build up our recovery as we go through them and gain confidence about how to face the next one.

Well done!