Notices

Why is this so hard to do?

Old 10-21-2011, 10:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why is this so hard to do?

I have to admit. I drank tonight. I just do not know how I can have such a positive attitude about not drinking one day, and then give in the next day...when I'm sober, I've given people advice about not drinking, but I feel like such a hypocrite because I've given in, ugh.....why can't I take my own advice? I'm still in the early stages of trying to stop drinking...Is it normal to mess up like this when you first make the decision to stop drinking?
Old 10-21-2011, 10:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hi Carly,

In my experience, it was hard to quit drinking unless I had a plan in place to get sober. For me this included a recovery group and working the 12 steps, among other things. It is easy to decide to quit drinking, but you really have to make some positive changes in your life to keep yourself sober. Like they say, nothing changes if nothing changes. Maybe you need to examine what caused you to drink tonight and figure out how you protect yourself from being tempted to drink again.

Best wishes to you, there is always another chance.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Josh? Please talk to me.....?
Old 10-21-2011, 10:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The urge hits bad after I've had a hard day at work, and when I'm alone. When I'm alone, there's nothing stopping me, no voice of reason...
Old 10-21-2011, 10:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said in another thread - it's hard to change our lives - it takes changes and a plan Carly.

It took me 15 years - but I got there - I know you can too

There's always someone around here to post to
D
Old 10-21-2011, 11:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Carly -

Those urges can be really strong, I know, and weekends can be especially hard. It helped me to read a lot of posts right after I got sober.... I picked up some great tips and it helped me stayed motivated.

I try to remember H.A.L.T. (hungry, angry, lonely, tired) too. Sometimes a good nights sleep or a bowl of ice cream can help. The cravings do pass, and getting through them makes it a little easier the next time.

Think about what you can do besides drinking and remember we're always around for support!
Old 10-21-2011, 11:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Old behaviors die hard. Once your ready to change then you will do it.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I caved in time and time again. But when I finally made up my mind I was going to really do it I was able to quit. I had to take it one minute, one hour, one day at a time. And as the days added up, my desire to drink again got less. Keep trying.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I will keep trying Least. I won't give up. The way I look at it, as long as I have hope, and believe in myself, I can do it. I guess, it's just going to take some time...
Old 10-22-2011, 01:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think that is key - believe in yourself. Keep busy when you first stop drinking. I work out, started working again after 6 years off, and I read alot. My husband is thinking about getting a divorce and one of the main ways I deal with it is not to allow negative thinking enter my mind. Also I do not look at drinking as an option to solve any of my problems.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carly2332 View Post
I'm still in the early stages of trying to stop drinking...Is it normal to mess up like this when you first make the decision to stop drinking?
I did. Huge amounts. I was in and out of AA for about two months when I first got in.

Things changed for me when I really, really accepted right in the core of my being that I was unable to control my drinking. It sounds simple but it took a lot of time to get to that point.

Since then I've come close to a relapse on a few occasions but the thing that has stopped me has been not being able to kid myself that it would be any different to all my drinking in the past anymore, no matter how badly I wanted it to be.

Keep trying. Relapse is a normal part of recovery but willingness is the key and the rewards are out of this world.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Carly,

The reason why you are able to give such thoughtful advice to others is because there is a part of you that knows the truth about drinking and the pain and devastation it can cause.....but then there is the other part of you (of all of us) that wants what it wants in spite of that knowledge. Don't try to make sense of it, because it's futile...just know that it is, and don't condemn yourself for it....your'e not alone.

Remind yourself often of the truth about alcohol and what it does to you, turn away from that little voice in the head that wants a drink and little by little you strengthen your true self. Believe in yourself....
Old 10-22-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Just keep trying, Carly. I think you'll find a lot of understanding here for what you are going through. I know I get exactly the feelings you described in your initial post. Try not to beat yourself up, but try, try again.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I thought I could quit whenever I wanted to, simply by making the decision, but a day or two after swearing off it I would be back to old habits. So I quickly discovered, it wasn't as simple as just putting down the drink, there is a great difference between just being 'abstinent' and being actively engaged with recovery.

Having said that, it takes many of us more than a few attempts, I lost count of mine but am currently at 2 years. I'm glad I didn't give up trying. But I had to get to the point where I had to be able to admit, I couldn't manage this thing on my own, that's when things seemed to start turning around for me.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Carly there is a chat on here that is really helpful. When you come home and feel all alone sign on. There will be someone there to talk to so you don't feel alone. Someone who understands exactly what you are feeling. Good luck!