Notices

I don't think mormies apreciate it the same way

Old 10-21-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't think mormies apreciate it the same way

I was thinking this morning how great it felt to wake up without a hangover, or the guilt and wondering about what could have happened last night. That made me think that most people (normies) can't and don't appreciate how good that feels, to them that's just normal. Maybe that's one thing I/we have over them. We can appreciate the little things for the gifts they are.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Addicts (and I am one) are not the only ones who go to bed with problems, wake up with fears, issues and regrets. Nor are recovering addicts the only ones who appreciate all that life has to offer.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi wander2,

Totally relate to that!

I had a friend years ago from Minnesota who I visited in February once (!). I couldn't get how they could live up there - because that area of the country redefines the word 'cold' in the winter. He explained to me that Minnesotans are not like those of use from the Southwest. Because they actually have seasons, they take full advantage of them - from ice fishing and snow mobiling in the winter to golf and picnics in the summer.

Twas very true. When you live somewhere with 4 variations of "summer" through the year, you don't sense how special it is to have the change of seasons and activities that go along with them.

It is all in the frame of reference.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would say people who are not alcoholic but do drink have probably had a hangover but not as many times or probably have never gone through withdrawal from a serious binge or constant set of days of drinking. A hangover is a mini withdrawal in its own right.

I am not sure I would say its something an alcoholic has over anyone else but just a set of bad experiences we can feel relieved when its not part of our life. I mean I can't appreciate what a soldier from combat feels when he is back home , away from the conflict and experiencing relative peace.

Just different for non alcoholics
Old 10-21-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Interesting topic. I am the mom of an addict. Go to the FAF board a lot but to this one and Substance Abuse one just to learn. I guess I am a "normie" . More an "abnormie" since like many family members of addicts I have dealt with addiction in some pretty crazy ways. Anyway, I am fortunate in not having a substance abuse problem so I do tend to take for granted waking up feeling pretty good. Lots of other things I take for granted. This post is a great reminder about gratitude.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I know that people who aren't alcoholics don't appreciate alcohol the same way that I do. This was the epiphany that made me quit chasing the pipe dream of being a moderate drinker.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mayabee View Post
Interesting topic. I am the mom of an addict. Go to the FAF board a lot but to this one and Substance Abuse one just to learn. I guess I am a "normie" . More an "abnormie" since like many family members of addicts I have dealt with addiction in some pretty crazy ways. Anyway, I am fortunate in not having a substance abuse problem so I do tend to take for granted waking up feeling pretty good. Lots of other things I take for granted. This post is a great reminder about gratitude.
If you have never had a thorn in your paw, it is easy to take for granted the ability to walk without pain.

I wish I had been born a normie, but I wasn't - so I will take anything I can get, and the appreciation of each day of sobriety is like the gift that keeps on giving!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eJoshua View Post
I know that people who aren't alcoholics don't appreciate alcohol the same way that I do. This was the epiphany that made me quit chasing the pipe dream of being a moderate drinker.

ahhhhhhh i love it!! More truth than poetry brother. For me it's opiates, but a matter of symantics. Same deal.