Notices

Drug addict- Day 1 of recovery help

Old 10-20-2011, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drug addict- Day 1 of recovery help

I'm trying to quit using and I don't know if it's me but I find that when I'm sober I feel weird. Kind of like I'm a little high. could it be that I havent been sober for so many years that sober is the new high? IDK tell me what you guys have experienced please.

another thing I find it easier to stay sober when I ditch my enabler boyfriend should I just get rid of him too.

Ps. love this site already. Since it's definitely hard when you have no support from anyone but a recovery site. Thank you so much. You dont know what this means to me.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi mzbee,

Welcome to SR!!! This site is helping me save myself. Lots of love, understanding and support. Keep posting and reading.

My experience has been that when I first get sober I feel very, very strange. For one thing, if you have been dousing your brain with chemicals/alcohol, it is chemically out of whack. It took awhile to get it out of whack, and it will take awhile for it to return to normalcy (whatever normalcy is). I hope that you go to NA or AA (or some other recovery group, whatever works for you) in the near future. Real life contact with people that understand is just another way to help you in your recovery.

As far as the enabling boyfriend, I don't know. I do know that if he is truly enabling, tries to convince you that not being sober is ok, or tempts you to get high, then I would steer clear of him for atleast awhile. Early sobriety is very fragile - don't stack the deck against yourself. Take care and good luck!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi mzbee

I dunno about feeling a little high - but it took me a while not to feel anxious, and even longer to know/remember what normal was for me

If you're thinking ditching your bf is a viable option, then it probably is something worth thinking about

Welcome aboard
D
Old 10-20-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think about this all the time! Colors seem deeper and brighter, things seem softer but clearer. It's not unlike a mild marijuana high sometimes. The world just looks and feels different now. I used to be really nostalgic about how magical things seemed when I was a kid, and I am starting to feel that way again. It's weird, but not unpleasant.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!

Getting normal is a new high for me. We haven't been normal In a while, it takes time.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I also felt a little weird when I quit drinking alcohol, one day I was on my binge and the next day I was completely free from the chemical that ran my life for years and my brain wasn't sure how to react. Now I'm on day 4 and I'm feeling great.

As far as your boyfriend, that is your decision because you know him the best.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel that same weird feeling. I'm sober from alcohol 9 days today. Yesterday and today I woke up feeling almost hungover. Any one else ever feel that way? It's strange to actually feel emotions like Im not sure how to react to them or feel them if that makes any sense?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! You will find so much support and encouragement here! This site has helped me try to turn my life around and stay sober for 70 days! Keep reading and posting!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Feralheart That is exactly what I mean is like my computer screen is super bright its weird.. Thank you all for all the support it really helps