Notices

Q about meds and booze...

Old 10-20-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression. Alcohol. Anti-Depressants.

Hello everyone,

I know that we are not supposed to give out medical advice. I guess I'm not looking for advice but more so your own experiences.

I have been diagnosed with depression/anxiety...always the chicken and egg thing thought, if it started because I just have it, or if it started because of the drinking.
Regardless...there are many people out there that take anti-depressants and drink on occasion...or even moderately on a day to day basis.

I was wondering if there was anyone out there that was/is an alcoholic that took anti-depressants and yet still drank.

Just wondering what people thought or what their experiences were.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bayliss, I had the depression/anxiety for many years before I began drinking. My drinking was an attempt at self-medication.

What I know is, I had to get the depression treated before I could stop drinking. When I started taking antidepressants, I began to feel better within a week and was able to stop drinking and begin recovering.

Drinking while taking anti-depressants can make you feel more depressed.

It can also be dangerous.

You can end up being more impaired than you would expect and find yourself in a worse situation.

Alcohol can interfere with the effectiveness of antidepressants.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

My experience is the following.

While I was actively drinking, I sought help for my depression and was put on anti-depressants several times. I can not say that they were completely ineffective but I can say that they were not nearly as effective as they have been when I have not been drinking while taking them. It is my understanding that alcohol is not recommended with anti-depressants because it interferes with the medication mechanism of action.

I don't know, and have come not to care, which came first the depression or the alcoholism. All I know today is that I have to treat both. I can not effective address and deal with my depression as long as I am drinking. I do have to say that stopping drinking has been much easier than dealing with my depression. My mental health issues are a daily struggle. I no longer even think about drinking, it has pretty much become a non issue in my life although to be on the safe side I still attend AA meetings and apply the principles and Steps in my life.

Just my experience for what it is worth. I do agree with Anna, stopping drinking needs to be a priority.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yep! I did. I might as well have flushed all the money I spent on anti-depressants down the toilet. Wish I had it all back now. How can an anti-depressant help you if you then swallow a depressant? Answer: It can't. It's a waste of money. Get off the booze and then see if you need an anti-depressant. Turns out I still did, but others have found that when they quit drinking, their depression lifted on its own.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I definitely think that I need to deal with the alcoholism...

I have been taking anti-depressants since January 2010, but was drinking daily on them regardless...even got to the point where I would take one in the mornings, wait one hour and then begin drinking (on weekends or days off - not daily). That is obviously not a good idea.
I know that it can be dangerous with regards to if I were to drive, operate machinery, etc...because it does increase drowsiness and whatnot...
It's also very not good for the liver.
My Doc knows I am an alcoholic...he knows that I am on these antidepressants...so did a psychologist not too long ago. I don't understand why they know both of these things and not really throw caution to the wind.

This is why it never really fazed me until now. I started reading up on it and realized that it probably isn't a good idea. A depressant and then anti-depressant...and then I feel like crap the next day...I am just not getting anywhere doing this at all.

I posted this on the newcomer forum as well, so I do apologize for the repeat post. Just wanted to get as much input as I could.
I took my pill at 4pm...I have been drinking since 5:30pm...it's now 6:30pm. The anxiety about this entire thing doesn't help either.

Just thought I would share...and thanks for everyones input too.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the post Suki.
That is what I am doing now as well...wasting my money on antidepressants...and counteracting that with a depressant...on a daily basis. It's just stupid. I don't know why I didn't realize this earlier...I've been doing this for over a year now.

Definitely need to stop the boozing while on meds. Not a good idea.
Makes me tired all the time too and just worsens the anxiety.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Bayliss, if all else fails, read the instructions on the prescription, which likely read something like this, "Avoid all alcohol while taking this medication".

My experience is the same as Suki's. I took anti d meds for 5 months, changed dosage, added different ones, and I still felt miserable, able to stare at the driveway for hours. While I stayed drunk.

A week after I quit drinking, the overwhelming sadness and screaming anxiety all went phhhhhht. Gone. I am still taking them, but I am now discussing titrating them down, since my current regime was based on way too much booze, every single day. I feel great, by the way, better than in many years.

You know the answers to your questions before you ask them, Bayliss. You might one day think about someday or other making a plan or something like that about drinking alcohol. In the future. Someday.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was on antiDs and drank like a fish and the meds did nothing for me. Like Suki said, I might as well have flushed them down the toilet for all the good they did. Now that I'm sober they work as they should and my depression is more manageable. Get off the booze and see if you need antiDs or not. But to take them while drinking is pointless and a waste of time and money.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Don't feel so bad for taking a year to figure it out. I did it for about 15 years. Imagine how much money I'd have if I had all that wasted money back.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep, I took 60mg of prozac daily while drinking steadily. And I wondered why I was still depressed. I am now 72 days sober, and I feel so much better. I don't know if it is because the prozac is working now that I don't wash it down with wine (yes, I actually did that) or if I am less depressed because I am not drinking. Probably both.

It is a total waste of $$$ to take anti-depressants if you are drinking. Towards the end I was abusing myself so badly by drinking so much that I didn't even take vitamins. Why? I was killing myself with alcohol.... That is probably not a good attitude, but that is exactly how I felt.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

My experience matches everyone else's - it's a waste of medication, Bayliss.

My Doc knows I am an alcoholic...he knows that I am on these antidepressants...so did a psychologist not too long ago. I don't understand why they know both of these things and not really throw caution to the wind.
Maybe they don't really understand what your drinking is like.... or maybe they think the responsibility here is yours, Bayliss?

D
Old 10-20-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know...the responsibility is mine - true...but at the same time...some people say that it is dangerous to do this...considering my history with depression and whatnot, I figured they would have pay a little more attention...you know what I mean Dee?

Definitely a waste of money.
My anxiety gets in the way as well. I worry that I am going to have some sort of interaction with the medication and boozing...but the booze always wins...I will drink and then I will be fine.

I am ashamed to say this next part...and I DO NOT advise anyone do this...but at one point I would drink and take T3s for a bigger buzz....I will NEVER EVER EVER do that again. I was so lucky...that was one of the most stupidest lapses in judgement...
This is how alcohol runs my life. It thinks that me paired with it, is invincible. What a joke.

Freshstart...some day. Yes...some day...
I wrote my boyfriend a three page letter yesterday...crying...reading it to him...saying that this time I want to quit drinking...for me and not for the ultimatum he gives me. I have made a plan...a goal. I plan on going to the gym...spending more time outside of the house...making healthier decisions. I hope to be at my best weight too.
It's my goal. I really want this.

Such a waste of money...such a waste of my time...stress and anxiety...all for nothing.
This demonic being called booze....

Just wanted to share a little more in depth with you guys. Hope you don't mind.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh and yes...
I really hope that once I stop drinking that I won't have to take medication anymore...
I've been doing okay so far with regards to depression...other then the fact that I am an alcoholic...so maybe I just don't need it?

One more thing Dee...
My Doc knows. He suggested addictions counsellor...he checked out my liver (blood work)...it wasn't that great...he advised me to cut down...obviously when I heard the news I was devastated...but to deal with it. I drank more.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hey bayliss! ive been on anti-depressants for 5 years and drank everyday on them, mine were perscribed for major anxiety/panic attacks (which i feel were brought on by the drinking in the first place) my doctor had no idea i was drinking like that.
i never had any adverse reactions to it, but i DO know that taking them and drinking is extra hard on the liver....they also didnt do much to help my anxiety because i didnt allow them to work like they were supposed to (drinking). just my experiance.

ps, my anxiety (which i thought would never go away) actually got a lot better the last time i quit drinking for a month. good luck!

Day 4 for me today!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Vanilla - congratulations on 4 days!
I definitely hear you on the anxiety getting better while sober...my very first detox I was such a mess...my OCD went through the roof, pair with anxiety. I cried for no reason. It got better and better...I felt like a new person! Unfortunately the booze once again...won out. Pathetic. I feel like a broken record a lot of the time when I come on here...it's amazing the support you get here...it doesn't matter how many times you relapse...everyone is always there for you.

My anxiety goes through the roof during my binges...the next day is just unbearable sometimes...the OCD especially goes bananas...so I drink more to get over it.
Like I said in my earlier post. As early as an hour after taking the medication.

I am becoming more knowledgable about the effects of drinking and taking medication...
I used to wake up in the mornings and take an excedrin for my hangover headaches ( a lot of acetaminophen) sometimes even two and then an hour later drink. Obviously not as stupid as the T3 incident. But over time...that probably did a number on my liver. In the past too when I quit drinking ( this was a while ago ) I would take a few t3s during the day to get that semi-high.

I just replace one with another.
I hope this time I become addicted to something healthier...like exercise.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you feel your Dr and counsellor don't have a hands on understanding of addiction, maybe it would pay you to look around for some people who do?

I've had some great Dr's but few of them really understood alcoholism - all I needed to do was 'cut back' apparently...and 'not drinking with these meds' was meant to be easy.....

D
Old 10-20-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.

I might have to find someone else...the funny thing is...I made an appt with my Doc the other day to ask about Antabuse...they paged him to ask for a sooner appt (he was booking a month in advance)...he said he would refer me to someone else as he cannot do much more...or thinks he can't. This was sort of a slap in the face to be honest...it feels like he is giving up on me...
Which leads me to my next point...

My first appt with my current Doc he asked me if I had any substance problems...and said I should feel comfortable talking to him because he was a COCAINE ADDICT and an ALCOHOLIC...and he is STILL dealing with DEPRESSION and ANXIETY!
Why can't he help me anymore? He would be the perfect person!
I just feel like he is overrun with patients and just doesn't pay too much attention...as an amazing Doc he is...

I guess it would be a slap in the face for anyone...
But to know that he knows addiction...and depression and everything that he would be a bit more helpful...or compassionate...I don't know.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This subject is sore to me because I have a brother that did this kind of stuff and he still hasn't learned.. I rarely ever let it out in public or even speak about it but I'll say a few words about what he went through and I'll leave it at that .

My brother was taking xanax along with alcohol when he:

1 - Fell asleep at the wheel, crashed (and rolled) his vehicle and broke his pelvis (nearly died I'm sure)

2 - Got taken to the hospital when he was bouncing against walls in his former GF's house - His heart stopped in the ER and he was revived. We found out that he was previously drinking, went in his bathroom and took the rest of the bottle of xanax he had.

3 - Just recently he was convicted of his third DUI, He was well known for taking Xanax at the time so I'm guessing this could be a factor too (but I really don't want to know)

Xanax multiplies the effects of alcohol on him and he hasn't still learned and I'm sure he won't ever learn. This by the way is not the reason I chose to quit drinking, but it's one of the key problems that I have with taking any kind of pill.

Be careful.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you considered meetings? You won't be alone. Bayliss, I hope you choose sobriety. Hugs
Old 10-20-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Gerbosko - I really appreciate you posting.
I understand what you're saying...even though I'm not mixing benzodiazepines with alcohol...I did mix it with T3s. I hope your brother finds sobriety and soon. Maybe we will at the same time in the next week.
I know I have to be careful...
This voice can be so strong...

Sugarbear1 - I went to an AA meeting...once...I don't think it's for me. But I also cannot dismiss the idea...because at the time I don't know if I even wanted to quit drinking.
Maybe I might have to look into it again...I also like the idea of RR or just reading up on it as much as possible.
Thanks for your hugs. Puts a smile on my face.