Notices

Q about meds and booze...

Old 10-20-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

You can go just in the beginning so you aren't alone the first week or two. You seriously don't need to do anything but be with others who understand. I'm not pushingthe program, but thinking about early sobriety and remembering it isn't easy.

I hope you are well soon!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It definitely isn't easy...and thank you Sugarbear...you are one of those posters (along with many others!) that always read my posts regardless. I really appreciate the immense support I get from you.

I might actually end up going for a week or so...because this can get really lonely at times.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

. My exsperions with low does antydipresants and alcohol isent good at all
thay seem to multyply the alcohol affects tenfold whitch is a frightening thought as i sit here wrighting this. aprox 90 persent of the times i have drunk alcohol since starting dipresants .
I have injerd myself' some times badly .
fell down the stairs several times .fell on my face just walking back from shop causing some bad permanet scaring.
broke my metatarsel ankel wrist and thumb jumping over a wall withought looking 10 ft drop on the other side.
the list gows on my judgement is totaly inpaired with alcohol on top of antydipresants.
takeaway the booz and within days im fealing great.
within weeks my memory and humer reterns. personaly the two dont mix at all.
good luck on your journy bayliss.
I dont know if this type of thing happens to every one but its getting scary
Old 10-20-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

its getting scary
Sounds like you're still doing it Jazz?
I hope you'll stop it too - one thing I found with alcohol based injuries is sooner or later the nine lives thing must give out.

D
Old 10-20-2011, 09:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Sounds like you're still doing it Jazz?
I hope you'll stop it too - one thing I found with alcohol based injuries is sooner or later the nine lives thing must give out.

D
It's day 1 for me again unfortunatly i havent had a drink today dee
Old 10-21-2011, 04:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Mixing alcohol and antidepressants is a bad move. It clearly states it on the information pack. 7 years ago before I started actively drinking, I was on an antidepressant and I got really drunk one night. Let me just say that I was having suicidal ideology. I was taking them for generalized anxiety at the time. When I sobered up the next day, it scared the crap out of me that I would think such a thing. It was a very strong thought too. I would suggest talking to your doctor
Old 10-21-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I started taking anti depressants in 1997 before I became a heavy drinker. In the beginning I noticed that I would just get super sleepy if I drank anything. But my drinking gradually increased over the years so I think my body adjusted to the two in my system. But, yes, it makes the anti depressant less effective. Some people respond in an extreme manner, some don't (the effect is different on everyone). My body happened to tolerate the two fairly well. Doesn't mean I was doing myself any favors. But had I been drinking and not taking anti depressants I'm sure I would have been suicidal.

I'm still taking anti depressants now and haven't drank in almost a week. But what I'm noticing is that I feel great most of the day until the time when I would have had a drink (I was a daily drinker, 2-3 glasses of wine each night during the week, 3 glasses to a bottle over the weekend nights. Once a month serious bingeing. I was progressing in a scary way). So, at about 4 - 5pm I start to get irritable and anxious. Unfortunately my kids bear the brunt of this. I'll need to talk to my psychiatrist who prescribes the meds when I see him next. I'm hoping that the extreme late day irritability will subside within a few weeks but if it doesn't I'll need to deal with that medically.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Well as discussed it's not a good thing to do at all. Most of AD meds work by attempting to upregulate selective neurotransmitters, primarily Serotonin. If you have classical clinical depression, bollocks it probably going to make you feel better. If you've caused your own depression via chronic alcohol abuse the culprit is likely down regulation in the dopaminergic neurotransmitters, so as stated the meds are unlikely to help. The good news is if that's the case your body will snap back eventually, and you can speed up the process with proper nutrition, excercise, and meditation. Yeah I know I say it all the time, but I really believe meditation helps. I was a GHB addict for many years, which also hammers the dopaminergic system. When I quit I suffered from crippling anxiety/panic episodes. I ended up hospitalized for the first one, and the Docs were jamming me with IV benzos in an attempt to bring me skyrocketing blood pressure down. To the point where they had to stop when they got to the point where the Doc was saying "JC we've given him enough to put three people to sleep, what the hell
?" But it gets better with time. Our bodies are remarkably plastic in their ability to adapt. Get clean, get healthy, and get better. Godspeed in your journey.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I've drank for years while taking welbutron, and it says not to drink while taking. I really never thought about it not working or that I was wasting my money. Course really wouldn't have mattered I suppose. No idea if I have liver damage.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mersault View Post
Well as discussed it's not a good thing to do at all. Most of AD meds work by attempting to upregulate selective neurotransmitters, primarily Serotonin. If you have classical clinical depression, bollocks it probably going to make you feel better. If you've caused your own depression via chronic alcohol abuse the culprit is likely down regulation in the dopaminergic neurotransmitters, so as stated the meds are unlikely to help. The good news is if that's the case your body will snap back eventually, and you can speed up the process with proper nutrition, excercise, and meditation. Yeah I know I say it all the time, but I really believe meditation helps. I was a GHB addict for many years, which also hammers the dopaminergic system. When I quit I suffered from crippling anxiety/panic episodes. I ended up hospitalized for the first one, and the Docs were jamming me with IV benzos in an attempt to bring me skyrocketing blood pressure down. To the point where they had to stop when they got to the point where the Doc was saying "JC we've given him enough to put three people to sleep, what the hell
?" But it gets better with time. Our bodies are remarkably plastic in their ability to adapt. Get clean, get healthy, and get better. Godspeed in your journey.
LOL. Your either in the medical or pharmacology field or you read and research a considerable amount. I am laughing because I understand what your are saying but the majority here are scratching their heads.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I think a lot of folks see that using a depressant like alcohol when suffering depression is a very bad idea. The initial lift I get from drinking soon is gone and wow , then its gets very dark and low.

Long term clinical depression runs in my family and what my dad endured in the 1970's, 1980's for treatment actually make my experiences a lot lighter ...

Hmm my experiences

Paxil : SSRI which had all sorts of bad side effects for me , made me crave alcohol and sugar and even when not drinking at all , and was not working. I became agitated , anxiosu , could not sleep properly...bad experience for me. Explained to the GP the side effects and tapered off that. Lots of weight gain on this medication. My further research on SSRI's and discussion with my GP led to the agreement SSRI's were not for me. Her experience with patients on SSRI's is filled with issues and generally she has looked to other meds though I only know about my meds of course. I will never get near an SSRI again, any of them.

Topomax : A try at a non SSRI to curb drinking urges and anti depression , again too many side effects , but no increased cravings to drink

Wellbutrin/Zyban: These are the same basic meds , used Zyban to try and quit smoking , it didn't work for that but I did get some lifting of the depression I had at the time.

Remeron and Wellbutrin: Remeron aka Mirtazapine is a hex-cyclic anti depressant and not an SSRI. It like all of these meds have side effects that vary across the board for individuals. I take Wellbutrin XL in the morning and Remeron just before bed. Its the best combination of meds so far but becomes utterly useless IF I DRINK. Especially if I DRINK HEAVILY. Mirtazapine is also a major histamine blocker ( aka antihistamine) and while I don't have allergies per se , I have had allergies to pollen in places like Colorado and the last trip there was no problem at all....in 1998 I must have gone through 2 boxes of kleenex with my nose running and eyes pouring. This combination does work for me but gets buried if I use alcohol ....it simply can't compete against it at all. Luckily once I stop drinking it does begin to work again but that can change if I don't bury the bottle.

Now the effects of drinking on these meds

Paxil: wow , looney land and spaced right out....bad bad combination and clearly outlined not to mix with alcohol on my prescription but hey I knew what I was doing ....NOT

Topomax: Nothing noticeable to me but I was defeating the goal of the drug. I did drink less

Wellbutrin/Mirtazapine: Again not recommended to mix them but generally I get sleepy until I hit the point in the binge when the total insomnia starts. I did not find I went to crazy land like Paxil.

All of the side effects vary a great deal from person to person so you have to work with your doc and of course drinking can limit the efficacy of these and other medications.

As Mersault mentioned . alcohol runs amok in your neurotransmitters in your brain and your actual brain physiology, it actually changes your brain structure. So medication may help some , not others and it depends on a lot of personal factors. I have yet to see a med without a side effect but you do have to work with your doctors and meds can only go so far , lots of other technique and things help depression like physical activity , mediation , proper diet and sleep , limited use of caffeine , quitting smoking ( ya still working on that one myself)....

Have a good 24
Old 10-21-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberred View Post
LOL. Your either in the medical or pharmacology field or you read and research a considerable amount. I am laughing because I understand what your are saying but the majority here are scratching their heads.

LOL, well if you read my first post in the NewB forum you'll see I was in the "Pharmacy" field for way too long, but only because I'm a very creative chemist. It's funny when people meet me they never guess what I do for a living is....... Fix cars. My formal education is in Biology/Chemistry and was destined for Med School before I lost the run of myself and decided I would be better served travelling and working resort jobs. Thankfully my travel landed me an amazing son, and I came back to reality. Science just has always made sense to me and at heart I'll always be a total science dork, now I'm just a greasy one.

Some good points brought up with the "cyclic" meds, they're an "older" type far less specific than SSRI's, and might well work when SSRI's will not. It really boils down to getting a GOOD Doc who doesn't have his head up big Pharma's rectom so that he/she is willing to find what works for you, and not simply follow the protocol dujour (or worse yet simply dole out whatever the "friendliest" Pharm reps peddle.) Only thing I would excercise caution is that in general the less specific the Psych med the higher the potential for habituation. I will also tell you this dirty little secret that PharmD's and MD's RARELY like to admit, and it is that Neuropharmacology is one of the LEAST well understood areas of Medical Science. It's getting better but it's still at best a "Shotgun" approach, that requires much testing from individual to individual. Best of luck, and don't be afraid to shop around for the RIGHT Doc for you, don't feel an obligation to one that isn't doing you proper.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mersault View Post
LOL, well if you read my first post in the NewB forum you'll see I was in the "Pharmacy" field for way too long, but only because I'm a very creative chemist. It's funny when people meet me they never guess what I do for a living is....... Fix cars. My formal education is in Biology/Chemistry and was destined for Med School before I lost the run of myself and decided I would be better served travelling and working resort jobs. Thankfully my travel landed me an amazing son, and I came back to reality. Science just has always made sense to me and at heart I'll always be a total science dork, now I'm just a greasy one.

Some good points brought up with the "cyclic" meds, they're an "older" type far less specific than SSRI's, and might well work when SSRI's will not. It really boils down to getting a GOOD Doc who doesn't have his head up big Pharma's rectom so that he/she is willing to find what works for you, and not simply follow the protocol dujour (or worse yet simply dole out whatever the "friendliest" Pharm reps peddle.) Only thing I would excercise caution is that in general the less specific the Psych med the higher the potential for habituation. I will also tell you this dirty little secret that PharmD's and MD's RARELY like to admit, and it is that Neuropharmacology is one of the LEAST well understood areas of Medical Science. It's getting better but it's still at best a "Shotgun" approach, that requires much testing from individual to individual. Best of luck, and don't be afraid to shop around for the RIGHT Doc for you, don't feel an obligation to one that isn't doing you proper.
I am choosing to try life without it. The side effects are too much for me. I am one of those very sensitive to chemicals of any kind. What ever infrequent side effects a med has, I get it. Just one tylenol makes me drowsy. My issues are not depression. I have more of an anxiety issue. I am trusting my body to return to normal eventually. If I find that I am in fact depressed or I cannot manage my anxiety, I will speak to my physician for another alternative. I always felt that the body is nothing more than a machine. Fascinating. No one would know by looking at me that I am a science geek either. I am not your average
Old 10-21-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Mersault , you did hit the nail on the head. Having a good Doc and true honesty with that doc is critical. My GP is from Poland and seems medicine is practiced differently all over the world. She is practical and forthright that medication is one piece of the treatment. She now refuses to prescribe Cymbalta as wow , sounds like it makes Paxil look like sugar pills with many people having many side effects.

If you have a good Doc they will be checking for side effects and you have to ensure you let them know what they are. It can be very hit and miss and I have small side effects on my current regime but they are manageable and the medication does help

I also take responsibility to know all I can about the meds and review the compendium in her office for the details before starting anything post Paxil. I did not do the homework on Paxil and that was my lesson.

I did physics , which of course explains chemistry and biology *grin* I have had an interest in neuroanatomy and neurophsychology for a long time....but as much as I read ...none of that knowledge stopped me from consuming what I know is true poison rushing through the blood brain barrier.

It is early days for more clear answers to mental health treatment but the advances in imaging and diagnostics is hopeful. Charlie Rose did a great set of shows on the brain.

Have a good 24
Old 10-21-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I always heard that you should never take medication with alcohol. Alcohol is a drug.