Notices

anxious but excited

Old 10-20-2011, 02:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

anxious but excited

Hi everyone. I've just recently made the decision to become sober. I'm still young (I'll be 23 next Friday) but the way I've been drinking the past few years has demolished my life. So I've decided that I no longer want to be an addict. The hardest part for me is that because of my drinking and my mental disorder(I'm bipolar), the two combined have ruined every friendship I've made. I'm glad to have found this site as a means to talk with people in the same spot as me and hopefully get some encouragement/encourage someone in the same spot. I'm so excited to start over but I'm a little nervous of how this'll go. I'm so scared of failing and being stuck in this terrible spot forever.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Welcome and Congrats!
I didn't start drinking heavily until my 30s, but anytime is a good time to quit and alcohol will only make other disorders worse in the long run.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. Up until recently I always used my age as an excuse for my drinking, playing it off like it was just partying like a lot of people my age. Even when things started falling apart, I blamed the meds for not working properly. Now I can finally admit that its not necessarily the fault of the medication, but the alcohol interfering. I just hope I'm strong enough to stay sober.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!

Age is irrelevant. Welcome to a supportive site!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you have made such a positive decision.

It's always scary to take the first step, but know that you can do this. We do understand, and you'll find lots of support and friendship here.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

I am guessing....but I think 1/3 of my AA group is dealing with both alcholism andBi Polar
they take various meds for their Bi Polar...and work the AA Steps for their alcoholism.

Glad you are here with us....
Old 10-20-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. It isn't always easy to stop drinking but the rewards of living sober and worth the effort. It's good you decided to get sober so young - when you're my age (60) you won't have regrets about drinking your life away.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I knew I had a problem around the age of 16. I lived in denial for over 15 years and kept on drinking. The result was misery and pain. I don't suggest it.

Welcome to SR! Glad you found us!!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR! Bipolar and Alcoholism is brutal and a terrible combo. I'm glad you're ready to get off the merry-go-round.

Deciding to get sober is fine, but more important is the action you take after making that decision. Do you have any plans yet?
Old 10-20-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Welcome to SR! I've known quite a few alcoholics who were also bipolar and I know it's gotta be tough to deal with. I'm glad you're here and I hope you find what you're looking for. You've made a great decision in getting sober.

--Fenris.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR minorthreat

D
Old 10-20-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

eJosh, as of now I'm seeing an addiction counselor(court ordered, I recently got a DUI) and working with her is helping a lot. I'm also seeing a therapist to get the bipolar aspect under control. Once I reach a stable spot, I'm really looking into getting back to school to keep me busy and hopefully get a good career going. I'm gonna stick with the therapist for as long as needed to help with both aspects. I'm trying to build a support system back up, and I'm hoping that the fact that I'm getting sober will help to rebuild anything I've ruined.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome! Also just guessing by your user name but I assume you're into punk, I just read a zine called "Filling the Void" that's about being punk and getting sober that I highly recommend!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

minorthreat - I love your attitude. Instead of being sad about having to stop, you're enthused. I wish I'd felt that way, but I kept insisting it was fun well into my 50's. My life would have turned out so different if I'd had the strength to stop.

Be proud of the decision you've made. You'll never have to go through the hell so many of us have. Keep talking to us, and let us know how it's going.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, and congratulations on your decision to join us in recovery. I too have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and am relatively young (27 years old). Speaking personally, I wish I could have made the decision you are making now when I was your age.

I've found that since I stopped using, all of my bipolar symptoms have disappeared. What has also helped immensely is regular exercise and eating whole, natural foods. I'm by no means recommending that you cease medication, but I think you will find that some bipolar symptoms were magnified by your use (i.e. the highs were higher and the lows much lower), and will therefore be more manageable now.

Best of luck to you.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

feralheart, thanks, I'm definitely gonna have to check that out! I think what took me so long to quit was in the punk scene here, everything is pretty much centered around drinking. It's tough. And climbingback, I've also noticed that my alcohol use directly affected the severity of my symptoms, so I'm looking forward to seeing how I feel once I stop.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
minorthreat,

Love the signature line and the sXe avatar. Old school and hard-core. Just my style.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome minorthreat!

Congratulations on making a great decision. You're going to love the mornings, and feeling really good about yourself again - I know I did.

Keep reading/posting - it really helps!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome, and happy early birthday! It sounds like you're heading in the right direction. Artsoul is right, reading and posting help a ton. Keep checking in and let us know how you're doing!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

welcome, good to see you make the right decision...its tough and everyone is different so who is to know what your going to experience but remember what the goal is and that is sobriety....keep your eye on the money and dont let anything stop you. im on the same boat you are and as bad as the withdrawal symptoms could be, the thought of you doing the right thing makes you feel good....